Video of Zero Gravity Project

Stroman

Platinum Member
Here is a little snippet from an outdoor gig from about 2005. I mostly published it because @C.M. Jones has mentioned using the coated PS3 head on his snare, and that's what I was using at the time. I think it projects quite well here. I'm also including the studio version on Soundcloud for reference.

(The video was recorded on a primitive little Polaroid digital camera that had the capability to record just a minute or two of video. Still, the sound of the snare comes through pretty well.)

https://soundcloud.com/user-338796201%2Fwhere-i-belong-1

Last edited:

C.M. Jones

Sounds good, @Stroman . Critics of the Coated Powerstroke 3 on snare drums sometimes charge that it mutes too many overtones, but I think the head represents the best of two worlds: Its single-ply design maintains sensitivity, while its inlay ring creates some of the fatness of a double-ply, depending on how one tunes, of course. I've been pleased with it thus far.

Stroman

Platinum Member
Sounds good, @Stroman . Critics of the Coated Powerstroke 3 on snare drums sometimes charge that it mutes too many overtones, but I think the head represents the best of two worlds: Its single-ply design maintains sensitivity, while its inlay ring creates some of the fatness of a double-ply, depending on how one tunes, of course. I've been pleased with it thus far.
Thank you. I was tuning quite high at the time, but the snare still had plenty of life.

I never tried it at a lower tuning, but I'd like to at some point. I bet it would sound pretty sweet.

C.M. Jones

Thank you. I was tuning quite high at the time, but the snare still had plenty of life.

I never tried it at a lower tuning, but I'd like to at some point. I bet it would sound pretty sweet.
It performs really well at lower tunings. Its inlay ring nicely accentuates the mids and lows, maintaining a clean voice.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Another coated PS3 fan here. I tune mine high, and even up there the head is never really choked or thin sounding. It still is able to maintain a soft buzz at the edges while delivering a gunshot like crack in the middle. It really is a fantastic head.

@Stroman what snare are you using?

Stroman

Platinum Member
Another coated PS3 fan here. I tune mine high, and even up there the head is never really choked or thin sounding. It still is able to maintain a soft buzz at the edges while delivering a gunshot like crack in the middle. It really is a fantastic head.

@Stroman what snare are you using?
That one in the video was a Mapex M-Pro wood snare, 14X5.5. I donated that whole kit to the high school when I got my Ludwigs, but I actually miss them. It was a good-sounding kit all around, despite being inexpensive.

Stroman

Platinum Member
Here is pic of the kit in the video, before I donated it. :)

Attachments

• Mapex Kit.JPG
    Mapex Kit.JPG
    316.4 KB · Views: 3