Video: New Music Is Better Than Old Music: This Is Why

Erberderber

Anyone seen this vid? There is a part specifically about drums at around 9.30. Interested to get your views on it.

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Too bad he felt the need to try to make his point by speaking at fortissimo throughout the video , peppering his dialougue by cursing like a sailor and belittling anyone with differing opinions with voice effects. I wonder how well he did in high school debate class.

I did however get the point of a few things he pointed out like the physically impossible "chops" displayed.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I feel newer music may be better as technically recorded, but better as an art form or its appeal. NO.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Sales not so good lately. Keep in mind, music like movies costs a lot more now than in previous years, is more expensive. Opening day for movies is dollars, not attendees

KamaK

Platinum Member
I made it almost three full minutes and had to stop as the video was a full out assault on my senses. In addition, my already shaken faith in humanity has sunk even deeper into the abyss.

I suspect that if I were to say "Beetlejuice" out loud three times, this gent would show up and smoke all my weed.

Old Dog new Cans

I've trying to think of something recorded years ago that sounds horrible compared to today's recordings, that I choose to no longer listen to it. DOESN'T exist in my catalog. And I was a DJ for 25years. The guy is full of it.

trickg

Silver Member
This guy is a douche, and his presentation is incredibly slanted to present a particular conclusion. He's cherry picking specific examples. Other people with far more cred are saying that music today is pretty awful, at least in the pop music scene. Where it's really happening is in the underground and indie scene - there's some great stuff happening there, but none of that is mainstream.

KamaK

Platinum Member
This guy is a douche, and his presentation is incredibly slanted to present a particular conclusion. He's cherry picking specific examples. Other people with far more cred are saying that music today is pretty awful, at least in the pop music scene. Where it's really happening is in the underground and indie scene - there's some great stuff happening there, but none of that is mainstream.
Indeed, though it is tough for most non-musicians to understand that "music sold by the entertainment industry" is not representative of the state of the trade. There's very little money to be siphoned out of virtuosity and unorthodox artistic endeavors, and I'm actually fairly grateful that the industry leaves most of us alone.

Mongrel

Silver Member
Forget about "old vs. new" that is so yesterday.

Apart from losing the "getting rich" part...the "new music" scene that operates outside of the Matrix is pretty hot...

The fact that you can work outside of even geographical restraints through file sharing presents this generation with a most fantastic and unprecedented opportunity to share, grow, enjoy, and produce music...

And, as long as you aren't looking for corporate dollars to put food on your table or provide you with Lambos and yacthts, I imagine it is quite fulfilling from an artistic standpoint...