VIDEO - New Ludwig Classic Maple Kit - 26" Bass Drum

SgtThump

Platinum Member
It's a Bonham kit, but I fully realize I can't play anything like him! So there!

Anyway, just picked this up on Labor Day from a small local dealer (Fred Pierce's Drum Studio). Got a killer deal (as usual from Fred). I still have all of the stock heads on it for now. I've spent alot of time trying different tunings and I think I'm getting there now.

Opinions on the tuning and stuff very welcomed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI210ilEfe8&feature=youtu.be

Attachments

• ludwig_bonhamset1.jpg
    ludwig_bonhamset1.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 1,219
yeah baby!
They sound nice, very nice.
Nice cymbals too!
Apparently Bonham used coated Emporer's for batters on the snare and all toms.
If you do try coated Emperor's please post another video.....so I can drool some more. ;-)

Sounds great to my ears. What are the ride and the crash please ?

Sounds great to my ears. What are the ride and the crash please ?

Thanks!

All Paiste 2002. From left to right from the drummer's perspective...

16" Medium Crash (not even sure I hit it in this video)
18" Medium Crash
24" Reverend Al Big Ride
20" Medium Crash

yeah baby!
They sound nice, very nice.
Nice cymbals too!
Apparently Bonham used coated Emporer's for batters on the snare and all toms.
If you do try coated Emperor's please post another video.....so I can drool some more. ;-)

Thanks Chris!!! I'm getting good sounds with these stock heads, but I can usually only stick with stock heads for around a week. HA HA

I'm a big fan of the coated Vintage Emperors and may just go right to them. They've worked better than any other heads I've tried on various drum sets. Little thicker sounding than regular Emperors. But I haven't decided yet! :)

Thanks Chris!!! I'm getting good sounds with these stock heads, but I can usually only stick with stock heads for around a week. HA HA

I'm a big fan of the coated Vintage Emperors and may just go right to them. They've worked better than any other heads I've tried on various drum sets. Little thicker sounding than regular Emperors. But I haven't decided yet! :)

It's hard to NOT use the stock heads, who wants to waste precious time changing heads when you could be PLAYING your new set?

Thanks for the tip on the Vintage Emperors, I'll have to give them a try!

That sounds great! Definitely the Ludwig-Bonham mojo going on there for sure! Congratulations!

That's what a Ludwig should sound like. Still...one of the best pure drum tones to this day. Kit sounds great.

Bo - too funny! I ordered a coated emperor batter and coated ambassador reso for the bass drum right before you posted this! I tried a felt strip on the reso side with the stock logo head and it killed the drum. I think its the heavier coating or something. The batter side has a clear power collar or something like that, so it doesnt need felt either. I want the bass to be less refined and more wild, so ill swap heads on that first and experiment with felt. I do love the look of felt strips for the vintage vibe.

KIS - Youre hearing the zoom q3 mic in this video.havent found a god easy way to sync audio from my recording rig with (crappy quality) video from the q3 yet.

Last edited:
Recently put a coated ambassador on the reso side with the '69/'70 smaller logo and a coated emperor on the batter side. Both have a smaller 2" felt strip. I think I've either nailed or am very close to the sound I want out of this thing and it's MASSIVE.

Here's a quick video I just did of the new bass drum setup. Would love to know what you think!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43uULDmpne8

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 287
Nailed it! Sounds excellent, what an awesome setup. I prefer that smaller Ludwig logo of all the others.
And what a good reason to buy a kit too....Commemorative!

Nailed it! Sounds excellent, what an awesome setup. I prefer that smaller Ludwig logo of all the others.
And what a good reason to buy a kit too....Commemorative!

Thanks man! I'm very stoked about dialing in the right tones on this bad boy.

I do have something negative about this kit, though... It makes every other kit sound like a toy! Ha ha ha

Back