Video Camera with sound?

arthurk1

Hey guys, I was wondering what your thoughts are on me purchasing a video camera to record my live preformances. I am wanting a camera with built in mic or one that allows one to plug in a seperate mic. I don't care for the Zoom Q3 as the quality isn't there. I would like to keep it under $800 if possible. Thanks

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys, I was wondering what your thoughts are on me purchasing a video camera to record my live preformances. I am wanting a camera with built in mic or one that allows one to plug in a seperate mic. I don't care for the Zoom Q3 as the quality isn't there. I would like to keep it under $800 if possible. Thanks
I agree that the video quality on the Q3 isn't great. It's ok for reference though. Sound quality is good. At $800, you're also nearly 3 x the price of the Zoom so there should be plenty of scope. I have heard that Zoom will be bringing out a HD unit in a while. Maybe worth the wait?

dairyairman

Platinum Member
one problem i've seen with a lot of videocam recordings is that the audio is wildly distorted because the mic input is overdriven by the loudness of the music. i'm not too familiar with regular video cameras. do they let you adjust the input gain of the microphone? my zoom h2 recorder has both manual and automatic gain control so you can deal with any amount of loudness without distortion. i think without that kind of control you could be looking at distortion no matter what kind of microphone is hooked up to the thing.

mcbike

Silver Member
I have a Canon hf-20 and I'm really pleased with the sound. It has adjustable gain, and you can also use automatic gain both sound really good. It has a 1/8" stereo input for hooking up external mics. The video quality is really awesome, and the sound quality is great too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMhQro56I-g this video was made with the internal mic with the manual adjust gain set to a proper setting. I didn't do any post production on the audio.