Video Breakdown of Studio Kit

That 's a tidy setup you have there Nick. Really cool that you know down to the month when those drums were made. Haha.

Maybe I missed it, but do you run room mics in there? And if so, do you find you run into issues with the size of the room and how it's captured (because of how dead it sounds in there)

Cheers!

-Jono

Thanks for taking the time to share with us your detailed run down of your recording setup. It's great to learn how Pros are doing it.

What's your opinion of the sound of the newer Recording Custom drum kits compared to the older ones from the 1980's?

That 's a tidy setup you have there Nick. Really cool that you know down to the month when those drums were made. Haha.

Maybe I missed it, but do you run room mics in there? And if so, do you find you run into issues with the size of the room and how it's captured (because of how dead it sounds in there)

Cheers!

-Jono
I deadened the room intentional because of the size. Because of that I don't often use any room mics, and I've had good feedback from producers on the separation I get between all my mic channels. The dead room helps with that. On the editing end of things it's much easier to push and pull things around as desired when there's less bleed. One of the reason programed drums are so popular.
On occasion I'll set up a room mic, with a little studio trick to make the room sound larger.
I'll mic a small guitar amp on the opposite side of the room. About 3' off the ground. Gives a nice warm tone with a soldi general mix, due to the speaker cutting out any kind of harsh high end from cymbals.

Thanks for taking the time to share with us your detailed run down of your recording setup. It's great to learn how Pros are doing it.

What's your opinion of the sound of the newer Recording Custom drum kits compared to the older ones from the 1980's?

I don't have a lot of experience with the new RC's. I've mainly played the 80's/90's versions. I did test to prototype kits out a few months before they launched and was really impressed. They sounded fantastic, with all the characteristics we've come to love about the old RC's. If I get a new kit at some point it will for sure be a new set of RC's.

Really nice tour of your "office". Thanx.;)

Hey cool, another tom scrambler. Well I would be if I didn’t bust down to a 1 up 1 down.

Back