Vic's drum shop Chicago-permanently closed?

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Maybe I'm late to hearing this news, but I did a search query and the store is now permanently closed. I know at one time they had a huge inventory on site.

I can't imagine what happened in a major city like that.

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Oh right before Chritsmas too ? I really hope this isn't a sign of things to come for other stores.
It's always nice to be able to go in and try, feel and listen to something in person when making a purchase.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
Oh right before Chritsmas too ? I really hope this isn't a sign of things to come for other stores.
It's always nice to be able to go in and try, feel and listen to something in person when making a purchase.
Especially cymbals. And this is so disappointing. It’s a hit to all musicians when a local, historic Mom and Pop closes. Especially one with really good, knowledgeable staff.

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
Yes, is too bad that stores like that have to close..

On the other hand, apparently the vast majority of drummers could not care less..

Otherwise they would have never stopped buying from those stores, instead of buying everything online (or places like Guitar Center) to save a few bucks..:)

Arkansmay

I try to buy things in person but 9 times out of 10, the help and prices in the mom and pop shops just help drive me right out the door and back to online shopping. Nothing to be sad about. Capitalism at work and I am fine with it. Provide a superior product or service or get out of the way.

yesdog

Silver Member
Vic learned the biz from working at The Drum Pad in Palatine IL. That was a mom and pop drum shop. The owner Jim closed the shop and retired. Not due to business, it was time to retire. I took lessons from Jim back in the early 80’s and he opened his first drum store in a room rented behind a dog grooming business. He eventually grew the business to where he could make a living. He had very little overhead or huge debt. I really miss that store. I never made it out to Vics unfortunately. The problem is drum gear is expensive and most of us can’t go out on payday and buy a $600 crash cymbal. The Chicago Music Exchange is still going strong. There is a new drum shop a friend of mine opened in Elmhurst IL MIKES DRUM SHOP. Very reasonably priced, they carry all major brands of cymbals
Authorized dealer for Yamaha Drums, Sonor Drums, Mapex drums. They have all your drumming needs

Here is the link for those in the Chi town area