Vic Kick Beaters

Coldhardsteel

Gold Member
Hey y'all,

My birthday's coming around in a few weeks and my folks asked what I wanted as a present. This semester is my first once taking jazz combo at my university, and I wanna start using my Pearl Eliminator for my practice and performance. However, the stock eliminator beaters have really, really hard felt and plastic faces, which I don't think would be appropriate for the ensemble. So, I wanna explore the Vic Kick stuff, in particular the fleece option. But before I ask for one and get landed with something not worthwhile, has anyone tried the fleece beater? Is there another option that would be better?

davidbehrens3.14

I own the felt-head ones and I love those, and I've tried the Fleece, and they are OUTSTANDING. If you're playing in the kind of jazz ensemble I'm thinking of, I'd say that'll give you a pretty amazing sound.

porter

Platinum Member
I love the felt one, and personally, I'd use that for most jazz, but if you're playing in a combo (especially a more laid-back one) the fleece could be just the thing.

I'm still waiting for someone who's tried both the Vic and the Vater Bomber to offer their judgement between the two.

singing drums

...the radial felt beaters provide a punchy, higher pitched and louder sound...

...i would think the fleece beaters would provide a boomy, lower pitched and quieter sound (based on experience with the vater bomber, which has a cork - as opposed to felt - center)...

I have the flleece beater and love it. I used the Vater vintage bomber before and prefer the Vic Firth now. They are very similar but I feel the Vic Firth has a thicker fleece.
If you use a coated head do yourself a favor and apply some type of patch where the beater strikes the head or you will wear through the fleece quickly. My Vater bomber did this so I would just keep rotating it but applying a thin patch has kept the Vic like new.