Vic Firth wear pattern

Stroman

Platinum Member
Has anyone else experienced this with Vic Firth sticks? I notice that when they wear, they really start to fray at the point where I do rim shots. I've never seen this with the Pro Marks, which is mostly what I've used in the 45 years I've been playing, nor have I seen it in the smattering of other brands I've tried through the years. Most of the sticks I've tried just dent, and perhaps get chewed up on the shoulder if I'm playing the high hat that way.

Both sets of Vic Firth's I've recently tried wore this way, though. Strange, and a shame, because they feel good in the hand. I know that a sample of two isn't very representative, which is why I'm asking for others' experiences.

Edit - posted a pic. I know the Vic in the pic is a lighter weight than the Pro Marks, but the same thing happened to the previous pair, which were the same size as the Pro Marks.

Attachments

Last edited:

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Yep, mine do it too. They last me a while, I dont play the kit everyday. My left stick gets beat to death at the shoulder until it starts to get thin and furry, so to speak. My right stick the tip starts to chip before the shoulder disintegrates usually. They almost never break, crack, or split.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Yep, mine do it too. They last me a while, I dont play the kit everyday. My left stick gets beat to death at the shoulder until it starts to get thin and furry, so to speak. My right stick the tip starts to chip before the shoulder disintegrates usually. They almost never break, crack, or split.
Wait, you use the same stick in the same hand?

Do you mark them L and R?

What's the logic behind the action?

You humans fascinate me to no end.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Wait, you use the same stick in the same hand?

Do you mark them L and R?

What's the logic behind the action?

You humans fascinate me to no end.
You sir are correct, I have a left and a right stick. I don't mark them. They sit on the snare in the correct position. Even if they fell on the floor I can feel the difference when I pick them up. Not until I play them mind you, but I can tell. The right stick always feels more responsive than the left stick because of the wear. The left stick starts to lose some rigidity as it gets beat against the rim continuously. If I try to play the ride with it the bounce isn't as good.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
You sir are correct, I have a left and a right stick. I don't mark them. They sit on the snare in the correct position. Even if they fell on the floor I can feel the difference when I pick them up. Not until I play them mind you, but I can tell. The right stick always feels more responsive than the left stick because of the wear. The left stick starts to lose some rigidity as it gets beat against the rim continuously. If I try to play the ride with it the bounce isn't as good.
OMG you slay me.

I wanna hang with you sometime before I die.

They sit on the snare in the correct position, too funny!

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
OMG you slay me.

I wanna hang with you sometime before I die.

They sit on the snare in the correct position, too funny!
I'll be out that way at some point, my parents and sister live in that little skinny part of MD that borders PA. I'll make sure to bring both a left and a right stick! We can test it. You can mark them and give them back to me and see if I get it right or if it's all in my head.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I'll be out that way at some point, my parents and sister live in that little skinny part of MD that borders PA. I'll make sure to bring both a left and a right stick! We can test it. You can mark them and give them back to me and see if I get it right or if it's all in my head.
You my friend are on.

LMK when you go to your sister's house.

beatdat

Has anyone else experienced this with Vic Firth sticks?
I have. For the first year or so getting back into drumming after a decade off, my technique had regressed so much that I would eventually end up taking chunks out of the stick where it would repeatedly hit the rim. As my technique started to improve a bit, they would wear out like the one in your picture. Now, they wear out bit-by-bit, the way I think they should when playing hard rock.

You sir are correct, I have a left and a right stick.
When you buy a box of nails, do you use the ones on the right for one side of the house and the ones on the left for the other?

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
When you buy a box of nails, do you use the ones on the right for one side of the house and the ones on the left for the other?
If the box had a divider in the middle, splitting the nails into two piles, I would pull from each side equally so they would run out at the same time. The side of the house doesn't matter, only the equality of the piles.