Vic Firth Ralph Hardimon Sticks Lacquer Coming Off On Hands

rebonn

I really like the new pair of Corpsmaster drumsticks but unfortunately the Lacquer comes off on my hands which is annoying. It was pretty bad at first so I washed the sticks vigorously, but it still comes off on the hands a little. I wonder if the lacquer has a problem adhering to the painted stick. Anyone else have this happen?

what color is it or is it clear..

hmm Like the Buddy Rich VF stick which I own but never really play;
So the White never changes

hmm Like the Buddy Rich VF stick which I own but never really play;
So the White never changes
No, the white paint didn't change and is not coming off. It's a shame because I really like the sticks. I ordered a pair of Vater MV7 sticks, same dimensions. We'll see how those go.

No, the white paint didn't change and is not coming off. It's a shame because I really like the sticks. I ordered a pair of Vater MV7 sticks, same dimensions. We'll see how those go.

are you using them for drum set, or just chopping out?

Being a marching percussion instructor, I am super familiar with the history of these sticksI have heard many people say this same thing happens, especially people with sweaty hands. I personally don't use them with my groups b/c I don't like the way they feel. I have never, or rarely ever had the same problem with the other VF marching stick models though. I wonder if you just got a bad run of the laquer application?

Some people I know will sand down the area where the grip is on the painted/laquered sticks to alleviate this problem....

are you using them for drum set, or just chopping out?

Being a marching percussion instructor, I am super familiar with the history of these sticksI have heard many people say this same thing happens, especially people with sweaty hands. I personally don't use them with my groups b/c I don't like the way they feel. I have never, or rarely ever had the same problem with the other VF marching stick models though. I wonder if you just got a bad run of the laquer application?

Some people I know will sand down the area where the grip is on the painted/laquered sticks to alleviate this problem....
I've definitely thought about sanding the sticks. These are for the practice pad only and really like the way they feel. I doubt it's a bad run of the lacquer process if you've heard of this problem many times. I think the problem may be the application of the gripping lacquer applied on top of the paint. I've looked close at the sticks under light and there seems to be a lighter application of lacquer on the whole stick and another or thicker application on the butt end half. Perhaps the problem is lacquer on top of lacquer on top of paint. Curious, what Vic Firth Marching sticks do you prefer?

I've definitely thought about sanding the sticks. These are for the practice pad only and really like the way they feel. I doubt it's a bad run of the lacquer process if you've heard of this problem many times. I think the problem may be the application of the gripping lacquer applied on top of the paint. I've looked close at the sticks under light and there seems to be a lighter application of lacquer on the whole stick and another or thicker application on the butt end half. Perhaps the problem is lacquer on top of lacquer on top of paint. Curious, what Vic Firth Marching sticks do you prefer?

for me, the Hardimons break pretty quickly, which is why we don't use them. I think they taper to early and too thin at the shoulder

I really like the Thom Hannum grey ones, and the Colin McNutt ones as well. I had a small part in the R&D of the Hannums, so I am a little biased

Back