(Very) Old Ludwig Snare Drum

kzdruma

Hello everyone,

I was working at the drum shop today and a guy came in looking for a new (old) head for an old Ludwig snare drum. He didn’t know much about the drum, but being a Ludwig lover I was definitely interested. I talked him into bringing the drum in so I could see it and I fell in love the second I did. Long story short, I bought it from him a few hours later.

Now is the hard part… What is it? I know it is an old 15” by 10” Ludwig snare drum and that is about it. Does anyone know how old it is? Any information (or links to information) would be much appreciated.

I am also interested in restoring it. I would like to get some old-school calf skin heads and some old gut snares. What do you guys think? Has anyone ever worked with anything this old? Thanks a lot!!!

Attachments

tamadrm

Platinum Member
That drum is in the Ludwig 1918 catalog,and a few subsequent ones as the "Center support,thumb rod street drum.It also came with silk wound steel snares.Check otu the vintage drum forum,vintage drum guide.

Steve B

kzdruma

Anyone have an ideas for fixing it up.

I am cleaning everything up real nice, but will need a few things:

Anyone have recommendations for calfskin heads? From my limited knowledge and research I am thinking that I will go with Earthtone. Anybody have more information about them or any other company?

I also will need some snares. I have never done this before. I have read about Ludwig snares sold by the yard. Where can I get this and how do I put them on?

Thanks everyone. I really do appreciate all of the help.

NerfLad

Silver Member
Dude, PLEASE post more pics when you get that thing cleaned up. It looks wonderful for an eighty-odd year old drum. Great find!

larryz

Platinum Member
So how much did this seduction and acquisition transaction set you back? Looks like a fun cleanup project.

NerfLad

Silver Member
Anyone have an ideas for fixing it up.

I am cleaning everything up real nice, but will need a few things:

Anyone have recommendations for calfskin heads? From my limited knowledge and research I am thinking that I will go with Earthtone. Anybody have more information about them or any other company?

I also will need some snares. I have never done this before. I have read about Ludwig snares sold by the yard. Where can I get this and how do I put them on?

Thanks everyone. I really do appreciate all of the help.
For answers to these questions and just about anything else regarding old drums, check out the Vintage Drum Forum. I'm sure they'd love to hear the story too!

http://vintagedrumforum.com