Very good drummer Emmanuelle Caplette

Auspicious

Silver Member
By wandering the internet I found Emmanuelle Caplette lately (She is in the 500 drummers of this forum), I truly find it a real pleasure to listen to her exceptional drumming and pleasant technique. I should have known her since she plays in major TV talk show and musical shows.. but I guess I don't watch television very much...

If you have nothing to do like me, you are 2.5 hours pass bed time and you want to appreciate something.

By wandering the internet I found Emmanuelle Caplette lately (She is in the 500 drummers of this forum), I truly find it a real pleasure to listen to her exceptional drumming and pleasant technique. I should have known her since she plays in major TV talk show and musical shows.. but I guess I don't watch television very much...

If you have nothing to do like me, you are 2.5 hours pass bed time and you want to appreciate something.

She's exceptionally clean and articulate in her playing - a lot of the tv shows etc. have been Candian or European - so she's not really a household name.

She's like the epitome of what you can do when you practice rudiments on the kit regularly.

3:00-3:04 was brilliant. She's a great player.

The toms are 10, 12 and 14", no? They sound pretty deep for their sizes.

Anyone know what size kick she's playing?

I first discovered her about 10-11 years ago, and was truly enamored with her. She's without a doubt, my favorite "modern" player (and of course, if you want to categorize it this way, my favorite woman drummer). I just love her style, and her technique is freaking perfect (I know she marched drum corps when she was younger, not sure if DCI but definitely in that style).

Yeah she's a major player on TV shows and sessions in French Canada, so she's definitely prolific and does a lot of work. But I've seen some accuse her of being a "youtube drummer" because in the English speaking world, that's really all we know of her. But to be fair, she was one of the first drummers to get on youtube to showcase her drumming, and that's how I discovered her (again, back in 2008-09).

I think it’s a 16”. Shes an awesome player.

I was thinking 18" the smallest, but - wow - EQ or not, that kit has some punch.

I just love her style, and her technique is freaking perfect

I wholeheartedly agree. She has some really great fills, and it's a blast watching her sticks while she plays.

I've 'known' her for a couple of years now. Stumbled on her by accident; we wanted to do a cover of Hysteria by Muse and i was looking for videos on how to play it. Found hers and to be honest my initial reaction was 'wow she's gorgeous!'. I have thing for curls hehe. I watched a few more vids and noticed how relaxed and in control she is. Great playing, great groove, great personality and she really enjoys what she is doing. Also the way she explains things is very easy to get! Been following her on FB ever since, does a lot of excellent things.

3:00-3:04 was brilliant. She's a great player.

The toms are 10, 12 and 14", no? They sound pretty deep for their sizes.

Anyone know what size kick she's playing?

She uses a bit smaller sizes. From the video description;

Kik: 16X16
Snare: Pure Canadian 14X6 (maple)
Snare 2: 12X5
Tom: 10X8
Floor Tom: 13X10
Floor Tom 2: 14X11

I think they sound so low because of the (obvious) low tuning and using EC2's and EC resos

In her style, is it me or I ear a great influence from Dave Weckl in her type of playing? The same type of precision and complex fills.

There is another top video from youtube worth listening to here. Great music too. I hear influences of Simon Phillips in some part of her groove.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, she can play! I love her personality, too!
Quite the character, like Simone Lockhart.

Rudiments are great.. I think they are mandatory in drumming.. I am realizing this by studying fills. My father told me how much he hates technical musician, they need to play with the heart, and I believe him.

But I like a drummer with a strong technical foundation too, it's a mix between 2 things, not just the heart or just the technique.

Just my 2 cents.. before going to bed..

I need to accelerate my practice of the rudiments.

There are definitely certain rudiments that I wouldn't waste your time on, unless you want to recite actual rudimental drumming and cadences. They don't really translate to anything on the drumset. Like Lesson 25 or Pataflafas. But pretty much any of the rolls, the paradiddles, *most* of the flam stuff do.

The Lifetime Warmup uses rudiments that, at least according to Tommy Igoe and his father Sonny Igoe, are useful on the drumset, so maybe start with those. A few of them I do wonder about (like flamacues and ratamacues) but they are fun to play and flow pretty well as licks.

Back