Very good drummer Emmanuelle Caplette

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Rudiments are great.. I think they are mandatory in drumming.. I am realizing this by studying fills. My father told me how much he hates technical musician, they need to play with the heart, and I believe him.

But I like a drummer with a strong technical foundation too, it's a mix between 2 things, not just the heart or just the technique.

Just my 2 cents.. before going to bed..

I need to accelerate my practice of the rudiments.
Absolutely they are great. It's the quickest way to limb independence. Those amazing solos you see all the greats playing, rudiments. Same with marching band.

There seems to be a disconnect with rudiments. They arent rules we must follow. They arent how you create fills. You mustn't use them and be aware of it. They arent theory. They dont work like chords. They are just there for limb independence. That's it. If you want your hands and feet to be free from one another, you learn rudiments.

Think of them as tools. They are your hammer, screwdriver, pliers, wrenches, etc. You can do whatever you need with just a few, but the more you have the easier the work becomes.

JUZZI

Rudiments are great.. I think they are mandatory in drumming.. I am realizing this by studying fills. My father told me how much he hates technical musician, they need to play with the heart, and I believe him.

But I like a drummer with a strong technical foundation too, it's a mix between 2 things, not just the heart or just the technique.

Just my 2 cents.. before going to bed..

I need to accelerate my practice of the rudiments.
I second that/ I'm studying fills at the moment too. I used to find rudiments so boring when I first started but now I love them. I think you enjoy them more once you understand the benefit of them and what they're useful for. e.g. a fill or roll you can't get quite right, therefore you know that unless you practice that certain rudiment on the pad first your not gonna get the fill/roll correct or up to speed.

Seafroggys

Silver Member
I didn't even think about it, but you are right. She really does have perfect posture. Better than most drummers. Way better than mine!

The less we talk about mine, the better! ;) Although my posture has improved somewhat since I started weightlifting, but could still use a lot of help.

MntnMan62

Thanks for this thread. Until now, I've never heard of her before. But I have to say she is excellent. As someone else said, very articulate. Her facility around the kit is so smooth. And her playing is quite expressive. Maybe that's the same thing as articulate. Whatever. She can freaking play. And I'll fight anyone who accuses her of being a youtube drummer. What difference does that make if you can play your tuchus off? I really dug the Toto video in this thread. And I agree. 3:00 to 3:04 was blisteringly awesome. I also really like her playing on her Contravention video on her DrummerWorld page. Very nice.

Last edited:

Auspicious

One of her greatest assets is her perfect posture. Such a straight back and neck and level head. I can start like that but 5 seconds later I am slumped again.
it's true I noticed unconsciously about her posture too, but now that you talk about it. I turned an awful video of me playing the drums and my posture is terrible, I should buy a Posture doctor for only 29.99USD :ROFLMAO: (But I don't even get 2 for the price of 1)

There is something for me to learn here. :)

By the way, I wonder seriously if the posture doctor could in fact, help, to get a better drumming posture, just like Emmanuelle Caplette.

thebarak

it's true I noticed unconsciously about her posture too, but now that you talk about it. I turned an awful video of me playing the drums and my posture is terrible, I should buy a Posture doctor for only 29.99USD :ROFLMAO: (But I don't even get 2 for the price of 1)

There is something for me to learn here. :)

By the way, I wonder seriously if the posture doctor could in fact, help, to get a better drumming posture, just like Emmanuelle Caplette.

I have one, and I never used it for drumming. I found that I was able to defeat it while walking around, so it is never worn any more.

Auspicious

I have one, and I never used it for drumming. I found that I was able to defeat it while walking around, so it is never worn any more.
ahhhh oki then it settles it for me then... I knew there would be something wrong about it.

I'll remember to stay straight instead, no choice.