VERY good deal on Mapex Saturn IV / Ebay USA

T_Weaves

Silver Member
Great deal here. I'd offer $700 + 50 shipping. Even at their asking price this would be a great working kit for rock/soul. Nice lacquer finish, Maple/Walnut hybrid shells. Can't go wrong at this price. Love those sizes too. 22x18, 12x9, 16x16

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mapex-Satur...sh=item33bbc0ffd8:g:vJQAAOSwsTxXj~kb#shpCntId

I shop for drums like crazy on Ebay and in my humble opinion, this is the best deal on there right now. Seller has 100% rating too.

Nice drums, and some really yummy Taylors hanging up in the background as well.

In my humble opinion, this is a much better deal !!!

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/291818050955

A good deal yes. A much better deal? Not so sure about that. Whether you like Mapex drums or not, the Saturn is a legit pro level kit. I see the Tour custom as mid range or at best, semi-pro. I don't buy sell outside of the pro level stuff. I'm not familiar with Tour customs so I'll take your word for it that they're good drums.

A good deal yes. A much better deal? Not so sure about that. Whether you like Mapex drums or not, the Saturn is a legit pro level kit. I see the Tour custom as mid range or at best, semi-pro. I don't buy sell outside of the pro level stuff. I'm not familiar with Tour customs so I'll take your word for it that they're good drums.

I'm a Yamaha fan and can say, especially after playing them in a dumpy rehearsal studio, that they are the maple version of the Stage Custom birch, but they don't sound as good IMHO.

That Saturn is a super deal - pro level kit.

I'm a Yamaha fan and can say, especially after playing them in a dumpy rehearsal studio, that they are the maple version of the Stage Custom birch, but they don't sound as good IMHO.

That Saturn is a super deal - pro level kit.

Huge Yamaha fan here...and I agree. Mapex kit is better kit and better deal.

So did you get the Mapex? That is a great deal!

I actually put in a LOW offer of $600 and it was declined. I need them like a hole in the head in that I already have a set in the same color but different sizes. I posted them in case anyone else was looking for a good kit to upgrade to for a very reasonable price. Especially maybe a young guy or girl who doesn't have alot of cash. Another nice feature is they come with great heads on them out of the box. Clear Emperors over clear Ambassadors and a nice Remo PS3 on the bass drum.

He keeps dropping the price every day so anyone interested should put it on their watch list. I might put another offer in on them and put together a GIANT dbl bass kit for laughs, keep the sizes I like and make a kit out of the others to sell. I'd like to get my mitts on that 16x16 floor tom!

Last edited:

Sorry but that's ridiculous. I owned both kits and had them both setup in the same room and you wouldn't want to play a stage custom when you have a Saturn sitting there.

I play them and the tour customs are a pro kit. And those are half the price :)

Im sure they are nice Drums, Yamaha is not gonna put there name on anything that's not. But with those scratches on it, it should be priced to sell. The suspension mounts and appearance in general does not seem to be be on par with the Saturn's. Is there just a tad bit of brand loyalty speaking here ?

IMHO, the Mapex Saturn is evenly tiered with the Yamaha Live Custom and Gretsch Renown. I'd consider all three "entry-pro".

IMHO, the Mapex Saturn is evenly tiered with the Yamaha Live Custom and Gretsch Renown. I'd consider all three "entry-pro".

I think it all depends on how you define "pro". What does that even mean? Does it mean that if you are a professional musician (ie. someone making money with their gear) and you are playing a Yamaha Gigmaker kit that the Gigmaker is "Pro"?

Is Pro an indication of sound? Because many people would say that you can get 90% of the sound of the highest end kits for 10% the price of the high end kits.

Is it a reliability issue? I haven't had any parts failures on any of my kits going from a Tama Rockstar to a DW Collectors. No failures anywhere in 20 years.

Is it a fit and finish thing? My Catalinas look amazing. Their bearing edges weren't great, but I got that fixed and they are beautiful. Does that make them pro?

Is it the price that makes a kit "pro"? I would say something is only worth someone is willing to pay for it. I'm not willing to pay for a Yamaha PHX or a Tama Star kit. And considering how few of these kits are sold, it would make me believe that there are only a handful of "pro's" out there who play "pro" gear if price was our indicator.

As for a Mapex Saturn vs a Tour Custom, I would choose the Saturn (not the one linked above) because I know just how amazingly built they are, how amazing their finishes are, how durable and reliable their hardware is, how great their sound is, and how much of a bargain they are. I only know this because I own a set, literally took the entire thing apart, inspected everything for quality and craftsmanship (including every single little piece in every lug and mount), and rebuilt the thing. My particular kit is 99.9% flawless. It is much better built than my DW Collectors kit. I was stunned that this kit was built this well and sounded as good as it did.

23565668514_18f1cdf524_c.jpg
24680447334_775aa7c1af_c.jpg

23780813512_ec5b5fedd1_c.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry but that's ridiculous. I owned both kits and had them both setup in the same room and you wouldn't want to play a stage custom when you have a Saturn sitting there.

Relax brougham...

You misunderstood, I was talking about the tour customs being the maple version of the Stage Custom Birch, not the Saturns,

Even after listening to the Saturns with someone else playing, you wouldn't even consider the scb's or tour customs. Saturns are Pro, scb's and tour customs are intermediate/beginner.

What I was trying to get to is that most drums sound good with good heads , good tuning and most important a good drummer. So go ahead, spend all kinds of $$ on a "store demo kit" (which means used ) I'll keep my $400 tour customs ;)

Which are right here :)

https://youtu.be/HisC2o9LV3U

Back