Very first live gig!

I was hesitant in posting here, as everyone here seems to be an accomplished gigger, but I'm trying hard to overcome my fears, so here goes!

I've been playing 3 years now, but pretty much only in my sound isolation booth at home. I've been having lessons for those 3 years and practice hard, but although I'm comfortable reading music and playing at home, playing "out" without music has always been a big fear!

A few months ago I got together with friends and we started practising together, first in a local youth club (even though we are certainly not youths!), and then at a studio.

I'm now chuffed to bits to be able to say -I did it! I survived my first gig!

I was incredibly nervous and felt like jelly up there on that stage! We'd practiced and rehearsed like mad, but were still unsure whether we'd pull it off or crash and burn lol. We didn't really think we were ready, but as I was organising a festival in the village, it was too good an opportunity to pass up, so I added us as the opening slot at 1pm. I didn't think there would be many people there at that time, but word had got out and there were a lot more people than expected.

We were by no means perfect and there were several fluffs, but we coped, survived them and ploughed on through the 6 songs we'd rehearsed. We now know that we can cope when the singer adds in an extra chorus part way through the song, or misses a line, or I start a song with a different groove to normal (oops!), or guitar or bass miss a cue, so it was a great learning experience! Listening back to a recording, the mistakes are not as noticable as they seemed to be at the time, although we do sound a bit rough round the edges. I also now know that nerves make me speed up, so that's something to watch in future.

There were many giggles, especially when I decided I didn't want to end "We're not Gonna take it" and so took everyone round for another chorus at the end, and when I got a bit carried away at the end of "I like it heavy" and let rip with a thunderous double pedal (that woke the village up!)! Our singer also had to think on the spot when she realised that there were several kids in the audience, so a certain word was quickly changed to Mucka Pucka, which set me off in giggles!

Even the setting up and taking down of my drums in a limited time was a learning experience. The drummer of the band following us helped me get things off stage in time, which was really good of him!

All in all a great experience and I'm so glad we did it.

It is so different to playing at home, and I know it's what I need to push me on, so we are booking more rehearsals and adding new songs to learn in the hope of improving and getting other chances to play "out". My teacher is very supportive and helped me learn the songs which was a great help.

So, if you're hesitating, give it a go! If I can do it, so can you!

Attachments

• 21270813_1586933161357895_6044558422531634516_n.jpg
    21270813_1586933161357895_6044558422531634516_n.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 335
  • sns.jpg
    sns.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 353
Congratulations, you popped your cherry lol.

I bet now you can't wait to do it again. It's kind of addicting. I am talking drums lol.

Seriously, I love seeing these types of posts. It's growth. You're among friends, nothing to fear here. You always have a supportive ear here.

Will you be at Manchester drum show?

BTW, GREAT pic! The smile on your face is priceless. Way to go.

It's always nice to feel that pay-off.

Congrats on the first gig. I'll bet you're looking forward to the next one, and the next :)

I was hesitant in posting here, as everyone here seems to be an accomplished gigger, but I'm trying hard to overcome my fears, so here goes!

I've been playing 3 years now, but pretty much only in my sound isolation booth at home. I've been having lessons for those 3 years and practice hard, but although I'm comfortable reading music and playing at home, playing "out" without music has always been a big fear!

A few months ago I got together with friends and we started practising together, first in a local youth club (even though we are certainly not youths!), and then at a studio.

I'm now chuffed to bits to be able to say -I did it! I survived my first gig!

I was incredibly nervous and felt like jelly up there on that stage! We'd practiced and rehearsed like mad, but were still unsure whether we'd pull it off or crash and burn lol. We didn't really think we were ready, but as I was organising a festival in the village, it was too good an opportunity to pass up, so I added us as the opening slot at 1pm. I didn't think there would be many people there at that time, but word had got out and there were a lot more people than expected.

We were by no means perfect and there were several fluffs, but we coped, survived them and ploughed on through the 6 songs we'd rehearsed. We now know that we can cope when the singer adds in an extra chorus part way through the song, or misses a line, or I start a song with a different groove to normal (oops!), or guitar or bass miss a cue, so it was a great learning experience! Listening back to a recording, the mistakes are not as noticable as they seemed to be at the time, although we do sound a bit rough round the edges. I also now know that nerves make me speed up, so that's something to watch in future.

There were many giggles, especially when I decided I didn't want to end "We're not Gonna take it" and so took everyone round for another chorus at the end, and when I got a bit carried away at the end of "I like it heavy" and let rip with a thunderous double pedal (that woke the village up!)! Our singer also had to think on the spot when she realised that there were several kids in the audience, so a certain word was quickly changed to Mucka Pucka, which set me off in giggles!

Even the setting up and taking down of my drums in a limited time was a learning experience. The drummer of the band following us helped me get things off stage in time, which was really good of him!

All in all a great experience and I'm so glad we did it.

It is so different to playing at home, and I know it's what I need to push me on, so we are booking more rehearsals and adding new songs to learn in the hope of improving and getting other chances to play "out". My teacher is very supportive and helped me learn the songs which was a great help.

So, if you're hesitating, give it a go! If I can do it, so can you!

Isn't it a great feeling?

Well done.

After gigging on and off (since age 13 - now 47) and currently playing a gig a week on average and four in one weekend coming up....still ALWAYS nervous until I'm into the first song. Still cannot sleep post-gig. Takes me hours to 'come down'.

Drumming is such a blast and a buzz....enjoy.

And always remember that you're in very limited company and, when you're playing, almost everyone out there in that audience wishes they were you !

Thank you so much for the responses! :)

Yes, I really want to do it again now. I want to get some good rehearsal time in and build on the songs.

Unfortunately I can't make the Manchester drum show as it clashes with something else, but I'm hoping to get to the London one and treat myself!!!

Absolutely awesome story and nothing spells confidence like holding things together when they could have fallen apart! Nice recovery and that shows real musicianship :) Mistakes happen. You just deal with them and move on.

I was doing an outdoor gig and mid song, there was an ambulance that went by and a ton of commotion at the end of the street. I was so busy rubbernecking, I forgot to keep track of what verse we were on. I thought three and everyone else was on two. I brought on the big finish and suddenly realized I was early, but everyone followed nicely. I thought we had gotten away with it, when one of the guitar players leaned over to the mic and told the crowd we owe you a redo, because our drummer ended that song early!!! I could have killed him on the spot! Someone no doubt knew the song was short, but now everyone knew it was a screw up!

Even in the worse train wreck scenario, you laugh and move on. It may have been your bands first gig, but you guys not only nailed it, but treated the event and any mistakes with true showmanship and professionalism. That's how it's done and congrats. :)

Nice story as well AZ. He kind of threw you under the bus.

You could have took a bow to reverse the guitarists poor microphone choice lol.

He deserved a blasting from you.

What a great experience! That looks like a really nice stage and set-up. I've been playing gigs for a long time, and I've not had many set-ups as good as that one. Nice DW's too!

I'm glad it went well.

& enjoy every minute of it :)

I'm pretty sure she's got that part covered. That could be the most enjoyable expression I saw on anyone's face, ever.

She's literally bursting with joy lol.

Either that, or she just fluffed up :)

Well done! Not everyone can claim that their first gig was a success, and I hope the positive memories last your lifetime.

Congrats! You appeared to be having a great time! My first experience playing in front of an audience with a band was at 14 years old. That was 40 years ago, and I still remember it vividly...

The tech in me can't help wondering what the snare mic is meant to be aiming at though?

I'm not a tech, but have seen mics set to a figure 8 pattern between hi-hat and snare to pick up both. (You'll know better than I whether that particular mic is capable of picking up that pattern.)

Thank you all sooo much!

The photo was taken at just as we finished our last song! I was so happy that we had got through it! Since I was little I've been known as "smiler" as I generally have a happy disposition!!! That day might go down in history as my happiest ever though!
After I'd taken my drums down and packed them up, I spent the next 7 hours dancing happily to the other amazing bands that performed that day. I earnt my name "Duracell bunny!"
I was dragged up on stage later to be thanked for organising the festival.

I'm now itching to get back into rehearsals with the rest of the band so we can build on what we've done x

Well done. your excitement comes through in your post - I'm not sure everyone on here is an accomplished gigger, our band are novices , but I know what you mean, there is so much gigging experience on DW.
Playing live, mistakes and all - gotta love it!. Again, congrats.

Congrats on your first live gig as a drummer!! And, if I may say so, it's cool to see another female drummer. Your smile tells the whole story about your enjoyment of the gig - and I love those DW's!! I'm a Ludwig fan, myself, but DWs are the absolute TOP when it comes to drum brands and their craftmanship and sound!!! A double-kick DW set is VERY loud. A friend of mine has two DW drum kits, but I haven't had a chance to play them in over four years.

Right now, I'm saving every dime, nickel, penny, quarter and dollar I can to have my "dream" drum kit: blue sparkle double-kick Ludwigs like the legendary Ronnie Tutt used for four years during his eight year tenure as Elvis Presley's drummer.

Again, major congrats on the first gig and may you have a blast at all of your future gigs as well!!! Keep that smile!!! It's infectious!!

This is one of the coolest posts I've seen in my short time in this forum.

Congratulations and let it be the first of many.

Back