Very cool looping performance

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
The older I get, I do try to stay hip to what's happening today. I've seen bassist Victor Wooten use a looper once and was very impressed. Here's drummer Jordan West doing some performing with a Boss looper in a "how to" video. Very cool.

The usually videos I see of loopers are beatbox folks, and I'm not a big fan of that, but this I could enjoy. I'm tempted to try this one day. What do ya think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjTT1bMt_es&feature=youtu.be

You're a singing drummer, Bo...what's holding you back?

My organic nature, I guess. After my stint with MIDI in the 80s, I've really gone the way of having musicians all the time. But I may come around sooner or later. It was cool seeing how the youngins do the new technology well though.

I literally just watched this video yesterday. She has a couple of similar videos and they are inspiring to watch. I'd love to learn how to integrate technology as seamlessly as she does.

I was trying to do something to that affect last decade with one of Carmine Appice's songs off of Guitar Zeus, but on guitar.
-Besides being a great person, musician, teacher/instructor, and what not, Carmine is very good with kids, traveling to schools and all. I explained to him that I wanted to show some of my guitar students what you can do with three bars of music over & over again, and without sounding boring. With a little bit of imagination and dynamics you could entertain and still keep the listeners interest after five minutes.
Needless to say he liked the idea and liked the loop. He didn't seem to mind that Steve Morse was not on the
track. lol

Ya I saw her Reverb video awhile back and thought wow I should get a looper one day. Amazing textures and layers to create with that, just playing on your own.

My favourite multi indtrumentalist looper - Elise Trouw:

https://youtu.be/u9lAIvLosyg

So that’s who that is. I saw her in the Pearl room at NAMM and she was being fawned over by somebody but I didn’t know who she was. That was a cool loop.

But I’ve offen asked, what do you do when there’s another section to a song or a chorus? I’m not sure I could handle a show that only showcases one part of a cover song;).

Imagine that.

But I’ve offen asked, what do you do when there’s another section to a song or a chorus?

Imagine that.
You just need to pick a looper that will do that.​
There are so many different loopers out there, now.
I own three. A Electro-Harmonix 16 Sec. Delay, a Electro-Harmonix Nano 360, and a Digitech Jamman. The Jamman can store 99 loops, with 6.5 hours of memory.​

Last edited:
You just need to pick a looper that will do that.​
There are so many different loopers out there, now.
I own three. A Electro-Harmonix 16 Sec. Delay, a Electro-Harmonix Nano 360, and a Digitech Jamman. The Jamman can store 99 loops, with 6.5 hours of memory.​

But in theory you would have to stop your current loop to record another one, right? So if you were doing it live, how do you seamlessly do that? And then you’d have to be able to switch back and forth to your different loops.

I used to work the MIDI sequencer Digital Performer, and you could record mini sequences called “chunks” and then switch chunks while performing. But you still had to record the chunks beforehand.

I think loopers will create a whole new genre of songs based on one phrase - like The Beatles’ “Tomorrow Never Knows”.

I saw a live jazz looper who stopped everything except the drums and played the bridge live, either guitar + vocal (+ drums/percussion) or keyboard..

He also made a 12 bar blues loop over 1 bar drum beat, and solo’d over that.

So there are ways of varying the song.
But it all requires meticulous planning, and one mistake can keep repeating for ever..

You mentioned adding another part of a song, or chorus .....
so I was under the impression that you wouldn't want the 1st part to play with/over the second. Most verses are different than the chorus .... and you'd play one or the other.​
Perhaps the Boss RC-505 is more what you're looking for.​

Yeah that’s what I’m sayin. If you’re performing with a looper, there’s no way to create more than one loop at a time so you could have different sections without stopping the process. Even though you can have a looper that will store different loops, you can’t actually create all these different loops on the fly live. I guess that’s just the limit of this technology.

Besides, for $500 I can hire a couple of ace musicians, call it the Bo Eder Trio and have a blast ;)

Is there a hard drive to save all of this, or do you have to start from scratch each song. Can I record a loop on Saturday performance and use it again on sunday???

Is there a hard drive to save all of this, or do you have to start from scratch each song. Can I record a loop on Saturday performance and use it again on sunday???

You can depending on the pedal. One thing about that though is the most interesting part of a performance with a looper, is watching the layers being laid down, looped, and added on to.

Yeah that’s what I’m sayin. If you’re performing with a looper, there’s no way to create more than one loop at a time so you could have different sections without stopping the process.
What you need then, is something like the Electro Harmonix 45000 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHuUJdEEBLg
A lot of the current loopers use Memory Cards, so yes, they have a lot of storage capability. My Jamman has 6.5 hours worth of memory.
Many loopers also have USB ports, so you can back up your files to computer, or transfer files from your computer to your looper.​

Last edited:
Back