versatility of Zildjian 'A' Custom 15'' Mastersound High Hats?

Duckenheimer

I have an opportunity to pick up an immaculate pair for 250, they sound great, but will they suit well with all of soul/metal/rock//funk/jazz? Are 15s a bit too heavy when opened? I'm pairing them with a 21 Inch AA raw bell dry Sabian ride (Crashes yet to be decided). Sadly I do not have the opportunity to borrow them and see how it all fits together before I buy...

What are your experiences with this cymbal?

Last edited:

TTNW

Pioneer Member
Seems to me like they would pair up nicely with that pingy RBDR.

They're nice and bright and produce good volume. Wouldn't call them tight or funky though.

What kind of sound are you looking for?

PeniScott

Silver Member
I've played the 14" A Customs and right off the bat i can tell you tha A Custom generally won't work for jazz. They're very bright cymbals. Metal, rock and funk maybe but probably not soul and not jazz either.

You'd be much better off with some 14" A series New Beats. You'll hear many other drummers call them out as the holy grail of hi hats, able to do anything. If you can grab a pair of them, then definitely go for it.

xoxo

Duckenheimer

Seems to me like they would pair up nicely with that pingy RBDR.

They're nice and bright and produce good volume. Wouldn't call them tight or funky though.

What kind of sound are you looking for?
I guess I don't know well enough, very little experience with equipment or my favourite sounds, so I guess a "safe" sound in various settings, something that most people agree sounds good in any context. Something that can be crisp but cut through in a loud setting.

"tight and funky" is the kind of stuff in particular I want my hats for!!!

I've played the 14" A Customs and right off the bat i can tell you tha A Custom generally won't work for jazz. They're very bright cymbals. Metal, rock and funk maybe but probably not soul and not jazz either.

You'd be much better off with some 14" A series New Beats. You'll hear many other drummers call them out as the holy grail of hi hats, able to do anything. If you can grab a pair of them, then definitely go for it.

xoxo
Yeah I've heard a lot about New Beats and the K hats too. Can't afford to buy first hand, but might just hold out for a good offer.

edit: The list price in dollars according to amazon seems to be 666. Hm.

TTNW

Pioneer Member
In that case, I wouldn't get the 15"AC Mastersounds.

The 14" A New Beats or 14" A Mastersounds would be a better choice.

You should be able to find a great pair of used New Beats for around $150.

PeniScott

Silver Member
edit: The list price in dollars according to amazon seems to be 666. Hm.
Then don't get those ones, they are very expensive and the seller won't be getting rid of them any time soon. Go on ebay, and get some used ones. You'll be surprised at the sort of deal you can get. I've seen New Beats in perfectly playable condition go for about £120. When they retail at well over £200. Closer to the top half towards £300.

xoxo