Velcro on Evans bass drum mute pad

single-ply

Hey all,

I'm kinda intrigued with these things, but I'm a bit hesitant about adhering velcro to the shells. I've always just used a towel, but I hate constantly messing with it.

For reference, I have a vintage Ludwig set with the original painted interiors. I don't want to screw up the paint if I take off the velcro at some point in the future. My other set is a walnut Craviotto and again, if I remove the velcro in the future, I don't want to leave nasty residue or mar the finish.

Over thinking this? Has anyone had the velcro screw up painted interiors or interior shell finish?

TColumbia37

Silver Member
I think you just have to ask what your future plans for these kits are.

If you have any intention of reselling them in the future, I wouldn't risk it by adhering anything to the shell. However, if these are going to be player kits with no intention of resale, then go for it.

Or you could just use dampened heads if you don't already

newoldie

Silver Member
Hey all,

I'm kinda intrigued with these things, but I'm a bit hesitant about adhering velcro to the shells. I've always just used a towel, but I hate constantly messing with it.

For reference, I have a vintage Ludwig set with the original painted interiors. I don't want to screw up the paint if I take off the velcro at some point in the future. My other set is a walnut Craviotto and again, if I remove the velcro in the future, I don't want to leave nasty residue or mar the finish.

Over thinking this? Has anyone had the velcro screw up painted interiors or interior shell finish?
If you're trying to adhere a drum mute to make the bass drum quiet enough to practice without disturbing others, I've found that folding up a microfiber 14" in half/or quarters, and placing it directly on my 20" batter head with painter's tape (which secures the towel without over-adhesive and no residue on removal) off to one side, away from the center where the beater strikes, quiets down the tone quite a bit. Then, on the resonant side, I've draped a heavy blanket over the shell and a pillow (up against the head's exterior) to further quiet down any tones. With these 2 muting items, I can use the pedal up to 80% of its potential without generating much noise at all.

If you need to adhere the mute pad onto a shell, you might still try the painter's tape (get the wider sized roll) as it has good adherence with little or no residue.

gdmoore28

Gold Member
If you're trying to adhere a drum mute to make the bass drum quiet enough to practice without disturbing others,
Hi newoldie, the OP is not attempting to lower the volume level of the bass drum, but to alter its resonance, ie, the amount it rings after being struck by the bass drum pedal. He's wants the drumhead(s) to deliver their full sonic compliment, then stop the drumhead's movement as quickly as possible. This results in the bass drum sound that most listeners have come to expect from the instrument.

The Evans Bass Drum Mute Pad (among others of similar design) accomplishes this sound rather easily, and its effects can be adjusted by moving the pad on the velcro tabs.

These tabs will typically leave most of their black, tar-like adhesive behind when they are removed. If your bass drum shell is untreated wood, like mine, the result of removing the velcro leaves a real mess. If your shells are painted inside, the goo can be removed with careful use of mineral spirits.

GeeDeeEmm

porter

Platinum Member
I just sold the EQ Pad with my last kit I installed the velcro on. No complaints... I find that it affects the sound positively even while not touching either head.

Perhaps you could use some sort of not-too-sticky tape to secure the EQ Pad for now and avoid the adhesive backing of the Velcro strips.

SgtThump

Platinum Member
I just sold the EQ Pad with my last kit I installed the velcro on. No complaints... I find that it affects the sound positively even while not touching either head.

Perhaps you could use some sort of not-too-sticky tape to secure the EQ Pad for now and avoid the adhesive backing of the Velcro strips.
That's really the best way to do it. I've done it as well. Trying to remove industrial strength velcro tape from the inside of your bass drum shell can be very difficult. It can even pull the wood away when you remove it. Seriously.

Just leave the Evans pillow installed when you sell it and it never becomes an issue. :)

FreDrummer

Silver Member
Good comments above, especially by TColumbia37 (post #2). I use the Evans Mute pad in my gigging BD, but it's not that valuable of a drum (so, I used the velcro). You've probably figured out already that the Evans mute pad works differently than a towel -- the theory being that the pad gets bumped away from the batter head when it is struck, then returns back to the head to dampen it (unlike a towel, that remains against the head). So, it is a somewhat unique solution. As Porter suggested, if you want to try one, perhaps you could use painters tape to tape it down over the top of the mute pad, but keep in mind, even painters tape cannot be left on indefinitely without turning nasty.