Vater Sticks

JakkP

Anyone give me an opinion on Vater sticks. Im thinking about getting the Xtreme 5A Nylons. Ive heard Vater dont put a lot of lacquer on their sticks which is what I need as my hands sweat quite a bit when I play. I tried vic grip but with the sweat the grip was hindering me more than anything.

i've used a lot of sticks, and vater is the choice for me. i love the fusion (maple and hickory), 8a (hickory), stewart copeland signature, and the maple phat ride models. vater just makes a kickass stick… i sweat like crazy, and they go nowhere.

I've played just about every major brand at one point or another. I tried out Vater about 5 years ago and have been happy with them ever since. They have a feel and balance that suits me perfectly.

But what I or anyone else thinks is really a moot point. The only way you're gonna know is by getting a pair in your hands and trying them out. Never be afraid to experiment mate.

Ive been playing 40 years....Ive used Vater the last 20. Love em.

F

Vater isn't present in Rochester to any degree that I've noticed. So in those rare times that I'm looking at a new stick, it's Vic & Promark that I can look at. Availability is everything.

I started drumming in '81 using Regal Tip, followed by ProMark for a couple years, then to Vic Firth for a long time, but I've been all Vater all the time for probably 20 years. Like someone else said, they kick ass. Vic Firths are still a close 2nd, though.

Weirdly, my experience duplicates MikeM's. Same brands, same order. I use Vater nylon-tip sugar maple now. They're perfect for me. Highly recommended.

The beat goes on.

I love Vater sticks, but they tend to break and chip for me very easily, probably because I use a lot of shots in my playing and hit pretty hard. My pick would be the Super Jazz sticks

Their good sticks but personally I prefer the unvarnished Vic Firth american classics. Like you I also do not care for the Vic grip, just the plain unvarnished stick will do.

I bought a bunch of Vater sticks years ago when the regular 5A was called the Los Angeles model, and I like them. They feel pretty good. Although I tend to go back and forth between these Vaters and Vic Firth 5A's, which seem a little 'weightier' to me. But I use both, and like the Vaters enough to use them all the time.

I switched to Vater this year from Vic Firth.

I find them a lot more durable than the VFs. I use to always chew up the tips of my VFs but since moving over Vater there has been no wear on the tips and the sticks last 2, maybe 3 times as long.

I use Vater Fusion, Nude Fusion, and Fusion with nylon tips

How do the Vader prices compare to Vic Firths?

gotta go with Vic

I've had way too many inconsistent pairs of Vater to say anything good about them

same with Pro Mark, Regal, and Zildjian

never anything but perfection from Vic Firth every single time

A few years back when I decided to change sticks I bought multiple models from multiple manufacturers. The Vater’s all seemed somehow cheaply made. The wood grain all tended to the wide side (which means shorter life of the stick), and the lathing seemed less precise than other brands. Dunno if I just got the lemons (although I selected carefully), but that experience put me off Vater.

A few years back when I decided to change sticks I bought multiple models from multiple manufacturers. The Vater’s all seemed somehow cheaply made. The wood grain all tended to the wide side (which means shorter life of the stick), and the lathing seemed less precise than other brands. Dunno if I just got the lemons (although I selected carefully), but that experience put me off Vater.

watch the Vic Firth factory tour videos on YouTube and you may never touch another piece of wood

the extra steps they take at the very beginning of the stick making process that no other companies apply to their system puts them light years ahead of any stick manufacturer

Vic Firths 6th step is every other companies first step.... literally

and the final product is far superior to any other

nothing touches Vic

not even close in my opinion

here is part one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7TjQkAkqtc

Last edited:
watch the Vic Firth factory tour videos...nothing touches Vic

Yeah, I’ve watched all that stuff. I’m always interested in the production process of all things drum.

In my quest for a new stick I did indeed end up with Vic Firths. I thought they were great--and they certainly are as far as feel, ride sound, etc.--but I recently joined a fairly heavy band where I’m hitting quite a bit harder than my recent norm, and I find the Vic’s are snapping crazy fast. It’s annoying (and expensive), but they remain my stick of choice. (For now.)

Back