Vater Session sticks

wraub

Are the current Vater Session sticks the same as the Vater Session Robby Ameen sticks?

Thanks. ;)

sumdrumguy

Looking at the Vater website, Ameen doesn't have a signature stick. He plays Vater LA 5A's and Session sticks.

wraub

Well, the Robby Ameen sig Session sticks I play all the time say otherwise. :) They're my favorites, but looking at the website I don't see them...

Looking at the Vater website, Ameen doesn't have a signature stick. He plays Vater LA 5A's and Session sticks.

sumdrumguy

Well, the Robby Ameen sig Session sticks I play all the time say otherwise. :) They're my favorites, but looking at the website I don't see them...
Interesting. Maybe that's where the session sticks came from? There are a few sticks in the Vater lineup that started out as Artist models.

wraub

Still waiting on a response from Vater... I imagine staff is short atm.

I picked up some Vater 5Bs... Larger diameter than the Ameen Session sticks, but still acceptable to me, and were easier to find. These have the same tips as the Ameen, very familiar feel. They are straight, well balanced, cleanly made, and nicely finished.

Vater makes very good sticks imo.

Al Strange

Still waiting on a response from Vater... I imagine staff is short atm.

I picked up some Vater 5Bs... Larger diameter than the Ameen Session sticks, but still acceptable to me, and were easier to find. These have the same tips as the Ameen, very familiar feel. They are straight, well balanced, cleanly made, and nicely finished.

Vater makes very good sticks imo.
I’m a fan of Vater 5B’s myself... (y) :cool:

roncadillac

I haven't used those sticks but I am a big fan of the vater manhattan 7a stick. I found the sound percussion 7a is basically the same dimensions and feels exactly the same in the hand as the vater and you can get a 'brick' of x4 pair for $12-$18 vs $8-$10 per pair of vater. They also have a 'funk' stick that is the same design but a little bit beefier.

drummingbulldog

I love the session stick & the recording stick. I also use 5a Los Angeles model wood tip. Zildjian sticks don't work for me & I rarely see promark anymore. VF has gone south. Vater it is.

vyacheslav

I love the session stick & the recording stick. I also use 5a Los Angeles model wood tip. Zildjian sticks don't work for me & I rarely see promark anymore. VF has gone south. Vater it is.
Not sure if you knew this, but the Recording stick is the exact same as the Vic Firth Dave Weckl signature model minus the burgundy paint.

drummingbulldog

I meant that in my experience the VF sticks have gone south in quality. I think all drumsticks have to a point because of the bottom line. Profits & good quality hickory do not go hand in hand & we would not accept the inflated prices to keep the quality the same. I used to be a VF guy but I have used Vater for some time now & like their selection better. Whatever makes you happy I say.

MntnMan62

If you played 5A's and don't need bells and whistles, which would you go with? VF, Vater or Promark? As you can tell it's been a while since I bought sticks. I have an older pair of VF that feel so much more solid that my older pair of Promarks. Never tried Vater yet. I have a pair of Zildjian Vinnie Colaiutas but I think I prefer the 5A's. Should I give Vaters a try?

gish

....except different density wood. All Vater hickory sticks have a much higher density and last longer than VF.
Agreed. Vater sticks always feel heavier to me compared to the other brands as well. Currently back to Manhattan 7As as my main stick, and although it’s a thinner stick it still feels solid and holds up very well.

iCe

Just posted this in another topic, but i guess i can call myself a Vater convert haha. Been going back and forth between sticks and wood types over the years. Eventually used the Promark Todd Sucherman signature stick for quite a while, but when the price increased dramatically for that stick i started looking for a similar stick that was cheaper. So i landed on the Vater 5B Sugar Maple stick and used that for quite a while too. Then i wanted a heavier stick, so went back to hickory 5B and eventually a 2B early 2019. Flash forward towards February of this year; noticed that the 2B and 5B sticks chocked too much resonance out of my drums (maybe also because of my wrist technique). Still had a couple of Vater maple 5B's lying around, took them to rehearsal and then everything clicked in place. I loved the feel again, my drums sang again and also the sound on the hats and ride was just the sound. Last Friday i tried out Wincent maple 5B's and when i switched back to the Vater sticks i knew that these are the ones. Going to order a bunch soon again!