Vater chop builder practice pad

Rock Drummer

I'm thinking about getting the vater practice pack, well because for everything you get in there you save about 20 bucks compared to if you bought seperately. But my real question is: Is that pad a good pad? How does it feel? Is it pretty durable/heavy duty(kinda)? I don't need people to tell me why or why not I shouldnt get the big pack, I just want to know if that is a good pad or not. It looks like it.

Thanks in Advance,
Jacob

the vater red one right ? i sent the small version to a buddy who was serving overseas & i serious coveted the thing as i have some off brand one that sucks compared to it. nice rebound & i thoughts very close to the HQ real feel brand.

I love practice pads. I've got an unhealthy "thing" for them. :>) :>) I've got several different ones. My favorite is the reverse black side (less rebound) of the HQ pad. I just ordered a Vic Firth "Heavy Hitter" to try out. Don't know about this "Vater" one yet, so if anyone's played on one, fill me in!

(scratching his arm like an addict.....)

Kelly

the vater red one right ? i sent the small version to a buddy who was serving overseas & i serious coveted the thing as i have some off brand one that sucks compared to it. nice rebound & i thoughts very close to the HQ real feel brand.

i think its yellow. I know it is the softer one(because there is also a hard one and its not that one. Heres the link Vater Practice Pack

I remember when I was a kid we used to play on phone books. ;-)

Me... Yeah! Ph. books are great! Just enough rebound to make you work. I also like hardback books with a towel over them. Sometimes the cat gets in the way and that's a good surface too!

Kelly

I remember when I was a kid we used to play on phone books. ;-)

Me... Yeah! Ph. books are great! Just enough rebound to make you work. I also like hardback books with a towel over them. Sometimes the cat gets in the way and that's a good surface too!

Kelly

Lol but how long does the cat stay there?

besides the pro and cons for a certain pad out of the many; how necessary is it to have one if there is the possibility to practice all the time on a snare/drumset? sure when i get up at 5 to do the workout ill take a pillow, pad or mesh head because i live in a flat. but if there would be the possibility to practice also the basic things on a snare, wouldn't choose you guys the "real thing"?
someone here once quoted his drumteacher sayin something like "if you want to sound good on a pad, practice on a pad. if you want to sound good on a drum..."
im not quite sure on which side i am so im asking you guys =)

Well the reason I would like a pad is sometimes I would like to practice just some snare workouts or speed workouts, etc. without disturbing my family as much. They hear enough of the drumset with me practicing about 3 hours a day, so rather than play on a loud snare drum or toms I could play on a much quieter pad in any room of the house, instead of on the drumset.

besides the pro and cons for a certain pad out of the many; how necessary is it to have one if there is the possibility to practice all the time on a snare/drumset? sure when i get up at 5 to do the workout ill take a pillow, pad or mesh head because i live in a flat. but if there would be the possibility to practice also the basic things on a snare, wouldn't choose you guys the "real thing"?
someone here once quoted his drumteacher sayin something like "if you want to sound good on a pad, practice on a pad. if you want to sound good on a drum..."

It's necessary for my mental health. I practise on a drumset everyday for long enough, and I spend a certain amount of time with a pad and a towel - not to save anybody noise but so I can watch some TV while doing a billion doubles and isolating and cleaning up a billion other wrist and finger issues. The extra rebound is helpful with downstrokes too.

Which side you're on? There are no "sides" mate....this isn't a football game. You don't need to deck yourself out in 'pad' colours and cheer it home. :)

In a perfect world, I'd only ever play on a drum. But in a perfect world I wouldn't have a job or pay a mortgage or have to put food on the family table either.....I'd just play drums all day. But that's just not possible. And for thousands of guys the world over, parctising on nothing but a drum kit is just not possible either.

A pad is a practice aid. Something you use when a drum is not available or it's inappropriate to play one. So instead of doing nothing, you get the next best thing.....a pad. That way you can continue on your merry way unhindered.

"Not sure which side I'm on".......man, I dunno where you kids get these crazy notions from.... :)

Which side you're on? There are no "sides" mate....this isn't a football game. You don't need to deck yourself out in 'pad' colours and cheer it home. :)

In a perfect world, I'd only ever play on a drum. But in a perfect world I wouldn't have a job or pay a mortgage or have to put food on the family table either.....I'd just play drums all day. But that's just not possible. And for thousands of guys the world over, parctising on nothing but a drum kit is just not possible either.

A pad is a practice aid. Something you use when a drum is not available or it's inappropriate to play one. So instead of doing nothing, you get the next best thing.....a pad. That way you can continue on your merry way unhindered.

"Not sure which side I'm on".......man, I dunno where you kids get these crazy notions from.... :)

I know, right?

This isn't something to overthink. It's a practice pad.

Buying one should be simple a pretty simple process... Go to the store. Hit a pad with a stick. Like it? Buy it.

Alright guys, sounds good. On Monday I will have that practice pack shipped to my local guitar center, and I will go pick it up on Wed. and I will tell you how I like it.

In a perfect world, I'd only ever play on a drum ... for thousands of guys [and gals] the world over, practising on nothing but a drum kit is just not possible either.

A pad is a practice aid. Something you use when a drum is not available or it's inappropriate to play one. So instead of doing nothing, you get the next best thing.....a pad.

That nails it for me.

RD, you're sounding keen enough to make good use of whatever pad you choose.

Do you have a practice pad kit? I find that helps my playing more than a single pad, but I suppose it depends on what you're working on and how much volume you can get away with.

i'm sorry if my english isn't that refined. it isn't my native language. i'm not a kid anymore and i don't see the world in just two colours either. i used to practice on a pad for hours exactly for the reasons you all mentioned.

I dont have a practice pad kit, because 1 you dont really get the real feel of the rebound and 2 When I would want to play normal I would have to take them all off

Back