Vater 8A Maple Sticks

mike d

Silver Member
I just picked some of these up, because they I wanted some lighter sticks than my Vater 5A and Fusion Maples. I've tried 7As and just too small for me ;). I'm really like them a lot! Great balance and even better articulation from a light stick. Anyone else try these?

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
So, a 7A has a .540 diameter and an 8A has a .555 diameter, and you feel that it makes that big of a difference?

(I'm not being snarky. I'm truly curious.)

mike d

Silver Member
Maybe not just diameter but balance too, or maybe I've changed. I really don't know for sure, and I don't have any 7As right now to compare, but the 8As feel great to me and in the past, I never really liked the 7As I've tried.

Stroker

Platinum Member
So, a 7A has a .540 diameter and an 8A has a .555 diameter, and you feel that it makes that big of a difference?

(I'm not being snarky. I'm truly curious.)
Related to my own experience, I tried some LA Specials, and though I could not pin-point the problem at the time, I loathed them. It was as if they impeded my playing.

I switched to Vater, and the additional 1/2" - 3/4" difference in length the Vaters provided, allowed me to get back to my normal playing.

So yes, subtle differences in length and diameter (I believe) can, and does make a difference.

Ruok

Silver Member
I"m a fan of the Vater 8A Maples. I've been enjoying those along with Vater's 5A and 5B maples. I frequently use the 8A's for my home kit when I want less volume.