Value of used Pearl Masterworks?

S

savage8190

A 5 piece Pearl Masterworks has popped up near me for what I think might be a screaming deal. What would be a decent price for an older made in Japan kit? Keep in mind I'm in Canada so there is about a 30-50% mark up compared to the USA.

Is there anything to watch out for with these kits? Bad production years or anything?

The Masterworks are the custom kits, totally high-end ones, right? There shouldn't be a bad one in the bunch since they're all basically hand-made instruments. What price are you looking at?

Or are you talking about the Masters series?

Just watch out for people drilling unnecessary holes.

*Ducking and dodging sharp objects from Matt :)

Masterworks is Pearl's custom handmade in Japan flagship kit. I've honestly never even seen one in person. I suppose would value them alongside a DW collectors kit which usually I see for 2k and up depending on wood, sizes, and number of drums. As production years, they are handmade and take like 6 months to get them..they aren't mass produced. You aren't getting a bad one unless the previous owner damaged them.

I've always been annoyed by the Masters and Masterworks confusion; Pearl should have come up with a different name IMO.

if thats the silver set in coquitlam going for $1400 I'd say a great deal.
i don't care for a 18 x 20 bass drum though.

A 5 piece Pearl Masterworks has popped up near me for what I think might be a screaming deal. What would be a decent price for an older made in Japan kit? Keep in mind I'm in Canada so there is about a 30-50% mark up compared to the USA.

Is there anything to watch out for with these kits? Bad production years or anything?

We had one in the bay area that a guy tried to sell for months @$2k US.

The problem with Pearl is they change too often and it becomes difficult to get add ons that match hardware and finish.
It also takes months to order up the product.

We had one in the bay area that a guy tried to sell for months @$2k US.

The problem with Pearl is they change too often and it becomes difficult to get add ons that match hardware and finish.
It also takes months to order up the product.

Not true in my experience. Even if they don't advertise it, they still custom build drums from 95% (made up stat, because I know there is an exception here or there) of the old lines and finishes if you special order it. If I recall, the prices are around the same as they were when they were originally on sale. It does take months, but that's kinda standard, is it not?

if thats the silver set in coquitlam going for $1400 I'd say a great deal.
i don't care for a 18 x 20 bass drum though.

It is that one...and he said he'd take 1200. Think I'm gonna pass though. It's a great deal, but I'm on the lookout for an 18" ...20 won't do.

It is that one...and he said he'd take 1200. Think I'm gonna pass though. It's a great deal, but I'm on the lookout for an 18" ...20 won't do.

Over here in Montreal, I saw a 4 piece kit (20 BD) for 895$. Barely used (a few hours), almost new condition... very good deal.

Not true in my experience. Even if they don't advertise it, they still custom build drums from 95% (made up stat, because I know there is an exception here or there) of the old lines and finishes if you special order it. If I recall, the prices are around the same as they were when they were originally on sale. It does take months, but that's kinda standard, is it not?

I went to order a Pearl MCX BD 16x20 in black mist,the wait time was 6 to 9 months and $1100 bucks.

I remember being able to get Pearl drums in 6 to 8 weeks special order back in the 80's.

As for Master works ,they've changed to tube lugs from the quick change ones.

As for Master works ,they've changed to tube lugs from the quick change ones.

I don't think this is accurate. It sounds like you are referring to the Reference and Reference Pure line. The Reference line is very similar to the Masterworks but are not custom ordered, they have a set build spec but are still hand built. The Masterworks line, you can order up the whole build spec to suit your needs. The number plys, the wood combinations in those plys, the finish, the hoops, the bearing edge style,and can also choose whichever lug Pearl produces.

Back