Vadrum Classical Drumming

TheIronCobr4

Hey I was just figuring I'd post this up. I know I'm probably not the only fan of Vadrum here I just don't often see any videos or threads about him. He released an album of 20 great classical pieces with the Vadrum touch to it. Great album I'd say personally, such a fun drummer to watch and so cool to see how far he's gotten through youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWki-Jac8H0

Hey I was just figuring I'd post this up. I know I'm probably not the only fan of Vadrum here I just don't often see any videos or threads about him. He released an album of 20 great classical pieces with the Vadrum touch to it. Great album I'd say personally, such a fun drummer to watch and so cool to see how far he's gotten through youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWki-Jac8H0

Yea!...thanks for posting this...Vadrum is awesome!

He is a talented man, been getting around youtube for a fair while. I like what he does.

From a drummers pov, that was very cool, I love it. Great skill, interpretation & time, but it was all about the drums. In that context, it works superbly, as a percussive support to the music, it's way too heavy handed. As an ex timp player, I both love & hate that performance with equal measure. As a drummer, he nailed it, & with levity to spare! Certainly one of the most entertaining things I've seen in a while.

I kind of wanted to say that I don't like what he does, but then again not. Because I'm not (yet) exactly sure of why I don't
like him. And I have seen people become offended just because someone stated their mind/opinion about some subject
But above all, I do not want to come across as a hater :s I have seen several of his videos and can't really "connect"
with them. I feel that it (at least this exact piece) sounds like classical music with Mike Portnoy on top of it. In fact, all of the
videos I have seen of him, I feel this way. And to me it seems like he's for most of it just playing notes, not music.

He does absolutely have a fair bit of skill, but I don't think he utilizes his skills in the best manner. Although he has created
a name for himself, there is no arguing about that =)

I do hope you don't see my criticism/dislike for this drummer as hating/trolling/etc :s Because I'm just trying to get
out/say what I think of him. It is negative, yes, but I try to avoid being a douchebag..

=)

(And PS: My english isn't the best, so there might be some bits that seem more exaggerated than they should be.
And I'm quite tired, because it's almost 6 o'clock in the morning in Norway at this very moment)

MLdrum, if you read my post below, I'm pretty much saying the same thing, although I haven't seen his other stuff. Don't worry, I think your post is fair & balanced from your pov. Certainly, in this performance, his playing stands out way above the music, but I'm pretty sure that's the intention. It's a showcase for his playing. The music is serving him, not the other way round. Taken at face value, it's a great performance, sort of like Tom Grosset on steroids, but without the sympathy & finesse.

It's fine as a gimmick, but I really do wish he'd do something useful with his skill. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I didn't like that at all. Essentially, I agree with the previous posters on his lack of musical sympathy. There is musical sympathy in there, but only with the louder and faster parts.

During the quieter parts, all the dynamic range is totally unsympathetic and he's staying at the same volume. Portnoy was a really good analogy and I agree. Portnoy has the same problem. Good chops, terrible sense of dynamic range.

If Vadrum wants to make anything of his apparent skill, then he needs to listen to a much wider range of music and actually appreciate it in the given context, rather than thinking about how to put drums to everything. Fine as a gimmick, it's a good laugh, but if he wants to be taken seriously then I'm afraid that really isn't going to get him terribly far.

It's fine as a gimmick, but I really do wish he'd do something useful with his skill. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I didn't like that at all. Essentially, I agree with the previous posters on his lack of musical sympathy. There is musical sympathy in there, but only with the louder and faster parts.

During the quieter parts, all the dynamic range is totally unsympathetic and he's staying at the same volume. Portnoy was a really good analogy and I agree. Portnoy has the same problem. Good chops, terrible sense of dynamic range.

If Vadrum wants to make anything of his apparent skill, then he needs to listen to a much wider range of music and actually appreciate it in the given context, rather than thinking about how to put drums to everything. Fine as a gimmick, it's a good laugh, but if he wants to be taken seriously then I'm afraid that really isn't going to get him terribly far.
Agree x 1000.
Vadrum plays exactly like Portnoy.

I agree with everything said. Vadrum is an entertainer no doubt, he does sound a lot like Portnoy, but still, this was a lot of fun. I even had my wife watch for a non drummer opinion and she loved it. She said it was like Keith Moon playing with the Transiberian Orchestra. Vadrum has really nice chops, does a little melodic playing (which I love) and is funny. Take it for what it is.

I agree with everything said. Vadrum is an entertainer no doubt, he does sound a lot like Portnoy, but still, this was a lot of fun. I even had my wife watch for a non drummer opinion and she loved it. She said it was like Keith Moon playing with the Transiberian Orchestra. Vadrum has really nice chops, does a little melodic playing (which I love) and is funny. Take it for what it is.

I think that for drummer-nerds, Vadrum is not our cup of tea. But for young drummers and non-drummers who haven't listened to prog rock, it's a hit. For most of us who have heard Peart, Portnoy, and Herb from a young age, it's just not "new" enough.

Other thoughts:

1. Lackluster snare sound.

2. Obviously trained as a marching guy (might affect #1).

3. Nice tom tuning!

4. If YouTube hits were dollars, I'd be mad I didn't think of that schtick first!

5. I can't imagine him selling very many concert tickets on his own, but he's becoming a "name drummer", so he'll probably get picked up by a pop artist at some point. Smart move, maybe I am jealous!

I loved it, been a fan since his early Mario stuff. It's good to see him recording live with others rather than doing covers in his studio. Other than great chops and total command of his instrument I appreciate him most for his creativity. I imagine what I might come up with and it's not even close to his interpetation.
W

I have no issue with him per se, it's just the lack of musicality that bothers me. He's obviously talented and entertaining to a number of people, but I think he's lacking a musical sense that only comes with constant and prolonged listening without trying to play over it. That's the issue. I don't think it's actually all that interesting, to be honest.

That said, his Mario playing is a classic.

Funky...I agree with your statement that he does "play over it", but that is kind of his schtick, showcase the drums. I doubt his current style would work in a conventional band, he would have to dial it down.
I didn't get your "lack of musicality" comment. I think he excells in that dept, His interpetations are very musical and fit well in the piece, over the top I'll give you that but very musical. What drummers do you see as musical? Just off the top of my head I might say Portnoy, Carl Palmer with ELP, Stewart Copeland.

I can only agree with Copeland there. Can't stand the others. I think that's where the difference here lies...

Playing fast with lots of toms doesn't necessarily mean musical. That usually amounts to overplaying. Complimentary is the way. Elvin Jones is the one I would hold in the highest regard.

I don't find the claims about a lack of musicality just, the guy isn't creating original compositions and he certainly isn't trying to be true to something others have done before.

I love him purely for the fact his covers are fun, pure and simple, he puts pretentiousness out the window and just plays.

I mean come on, who else thought to cover the musical theme of Super Mario brothers (in it's entirely 1,2 and 3) on drums.

I hear comparisons to Portnoy, but I'd say if anything he is closer to Terry Bozzio.

Thought this was going to be a different link to which I was going to suggest I'd like to see him get out of the house...

Now personally I'm not gonna disagree with some of the comments toward Vadrum that would be considered "negative". He definatly is playing way to flashy for a song like this, let alone the whole album. Having said that, the guy is being intention entertaining, he's just playing to songs that have no previous drums to bounce off of. Too me the Terry Bozzio statement made sense (and I honestly very much dislike Bozzio!). The point however is that Vadrum is creative and he isn't trying to be a conventional drummer when he's doing these obviously over the top things. Having said that it doesn't matter if you like him or not, because with everything its up to your preference, but to the naysayers who talk like he doesn't put his talent to use, or that he over plays...

Vadrum tracking songs with his hard rock band Cosmica...
http://www.youtube.com/user/vadrum#p/u/13/FNY1CrSCYis

I think part of the problem is that the drums have that polished over-produced sound to them that you find in all modern music these days, and he's playing it against instruments that are much more natural sounding. It just doesn't fit.

The other side is that, ya, he's just way too busy in all the wrong spots. He's playing for himself, not for the music. That's the sense I get after listening to the album a few times.

As a drummer, I much prefer Ted Kirkpatrick's "In The Shadow Of The Masters." His playing compliments the music better. Also, the drums sound a lot more open and natural, without as much gating/EQ/comp/etc., which I think is intentional. Of course, I'm a huge fan of his other stuff, so I might have a slight bias :)

Have a look here. It's some good stuff.

http://tourniquet.bandcamp.com/album/in-the-shadow-of-the-masters

Back