Using your weak hand in everyday situations (brushing teeth, combing hair..etc) help?

Re: Using your weak hand in everyday situations (brushing teeth, combing hair..etc) h

Lol, well, given most of the responses here, definitely not. Seems like my message just isn't getting through ;)

I think your opinion is just not popular. Perhaps it's not your message that's not getting through to the people that believe it works, but the believers message not getting through to you.

The more you get comfortable using your left hand in everyday situations, the more control you gain over that side. It's sort of like how little kids naturally know how to throw a ball with their dominate hand. They developed general motor skills and without much practice at all, they can huck a ball across a room. It's because they've developed other motor skills in that hand which made learning skills like throwing a ball easier.

Re: Using your weak hand in everyday situations (brushing teeth, combing hair..etc) h

Remember, if using your limbs didn't make you have more control over them.....there would not be such a thing as a dominant side.
If you were to use each hand and foot equally.....chances are that you would be more balanced.

Starting drummers........ that have never picked up sticks before......... will find that it's easier to execute things with their dominate side.
Why is that?
Because, they have more control over those limbs.... as they have been "used" more in everyday mechanics.

D.

Remember, if using your limbs didn't make you have more control over them.....there would not be such a thing as a dominant side.
If you were to use each hand and foot equally.....chances are that you would be more balanced.

Starting drummers........ that have never picked up sticks before......... will find that it's easier to execute things with their dominate side.
Why is that?
Because, they have more control over those limbs.... as they have been "used" more in everyday mechanics.

D.

This is a good point. I remember when I picked up sicks for the first time in my life. When I would try to do fast rolls at the time I would always do RRL RRL RRL. My left hand was terrible, but my right hand adapted very well. I never did sticking motions before (or not much) and my ride side was 10 times better then my left. If it were true that doing everyday things with my non-dominate hand didn't work, then theoretically when I first started my hands would of been about equal with sticking because I didn't use sticking techniques with my right hand before.

Exactly, you've readjusted your kit setup to force your weaker hand into more action - on the kit. That's the only way you'll gain control in the context of drumming. Similarly, you've adjusted with your tennis stroke, so your gains will be tennis specific. My point is that committing to weaker hand development in one activity will bring no gains in a completely unrelated activity.
Even though I'm lefty I learned how to play in a competitive drum corps with a traditional right handers grip. When I first started playing a kit I set it up lefty for about two years. I have been playing my kit right handed since the mid seventies. I started concentrating on using my right hand for hand tools a few years ago.

exactly why the military starts marching with the left... so you don't go in circles

Left.....left.....left..right..left.....Company HAULT!

I can't entirely agree that there are no benefits at all, so sorry Jones. =P

But I also have to say that there's nothing that could be more beneficial than plain practice on the left hand. So maybe doing all these things might possibly help in some way, but it will definitely help in a way way smaller way than actual practice.

So long as you don't take up the idea completely and 'practice' brushing your teeth with your left hand, then I suppose it can't really do any harm can it? Just remember to practice the left anyway on the kit.

playing traditional style music like in the military days of the civil war allot of the rolls start with the left hand and are phrased with the left...but that just comes from the practice of starting rolls and phrases of the such on the left

You could try tapping leading with your left hand on desks, car wheels, etc... If that counts as an everyday situation.

playing traditional style music like in the military days of the civil war allot of the rolls start with the left hand and are phrased with the left...but that just comes from the practice of starting rolls and phrases of the such on the left
I can't remember for certain but I think that the reason for this was because the drum was carried on the left side of the body. The rolls would be started with the left hand while the left foot was down. I think that I remember that from my days in competitive drum corps. When you marked time it was always the left hand that played while the left foot came down. The left foot regulated many things.

that makes sense ... i couldn't remember the reason either but i learned it a while ago...many of the things they thought was easy we think is hard and vis versa..shows you the difference a few years makes

Back