Using the Cymbal Collection

ottog1979

Like most of us, over time I've gathered up a collection of cymbals & hats buying here & there for differing sounds that I really liked. But I've found that nearly always I gig out with the same favorite set. I don't end up using and customizing certain cymbals for certain gigs or bands. I have mixed it up a bit for different sounds when recording but this isn't very often (or as often as I'd like or get the opportunity). So, most of my small cymbal collection stays either on the practice set or in the closet. The cymbal bag used for gigging always contains the same set.

I'm wondering if this is typical. Do you use mostly your favorite set/set-up? Or do you rotate around your cymbal collection regularly?

jda

I don't end up using and customizing certain cymbals for certain gigs or bands.
hm that's whole purpose of having more than one Lol)
but you can do it your way;
I've had gigs where I'm the host and the possibility of'other drummers coming up and sitting in; dictated (tator) How and what Cymbals I'd bring (level 3 usually in my entourage)

Other gigging with hi end players and a Big Room- specific simbols there.
Small intimate low volume setting- certain cymbalage there;
rare case of recording; certain known well to record Simbols there.. So on and on

I have 3 Level specifics that can cross- counter-cross cover circumstance Pretty much +/-
older A's- Old K's- - New B's

Last edited:

lefty2

Platinum Member
My collection is small but I always use my 18 k dark as main crash. I have two 17s K custom dark and A Zildjian. With my classic rock band I prefer the A along with a 22 TRX ride and hollow logo 15 Zildjian rock hats. With my country band I prefer the K Custom 17 with 14 new beats and a 22 Omni ride. Or if I'm playing outside I use the 17 A. Sometimes I squeeze in a 13 Sabian Elsabor salsa splash.

caddywumpus

Archnemesis of Larryace
I have specific sets of cymbals, packed up and ready to go, for specific bands I play with. I also have several other sets worth of cymbals that I mix and match for gigs as they pop up. I do one or two church gigs a week, that has its own bag, ready to go. I’m doing a musical starting this week, that is using a completely other set of cymbals that will live at the theatre. I have two sets of cymbals set up on the kits in the teaching studio. Having a bunch of cymbals allows me to have a wide palette of sounds, but also allows me to not have to set up and tear down the same set of cymbals over and over again.

Quai34

Like most of us, over time I've gathered up a collection of cymbals & hats buying here & there for differing sounds that I really liked. But I've found that nearly always I gig out with the same favorite set. I don't end up using and customizing certain cymbals for certain gigs or bands. I have mixed it up a bit for different sounds when recording but this isn't very often (or as often as I'd like or get the opportunity). So, most of my small cymbal collection stays either on the practice set or in the closet. The cymbal bag used for gigging always contains the same set.

I'm wondering if this is typical. Do you use mostly your favorite set/set-up? Or do you rotate around your cymbal collection regularly?
I have found a solution for that. I stopped my collection of cymbals when I was not able to put anymore on the kit. I have 34 cymbals on the kit and own 36. Then, when I play at home, I have al of them in front of me and sometimes, I play more the cymbals than the Toms. I was called some time a cymbalist...Instead of a drummer.

Last edited:

JimmyM

Platinum Member

I don’t have a collection nor any gigs coming up on drums any time soon, but I think if I did, I’d end up doing what you’re doing. I like all purpose gear and familiarity, and no doubt I would stick to tried and true favorites.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I have a a variety of cymbals that I choose from for what sound I need. I basically have a big and heavy set for loud rock gigs, a set that's something a little more general, and then a few that I mostly use for low volume situations.

I put a lot of thought into matching the right drum and cymbal sounds for a particular gig. I just consider that a part of the job of being a drummer.

mikyok

Platinum Member
I'm in the same boat as the OP. I've got a nice collection but I have an A Team that goes everywhere, well a K Team ;). They just work for every occasion.

A lot of the times I find myself just using hats and ride and if truth be told I could do 99.9% of my gigs with this.

KenDoken

I have a small collection and definitely have a preferred set which I know like the back of my hand. This is useful as I know how to get the tones I need in the moment. I do swap them out for various considerations:

Portability
Risk
Lineup
Acoustics
Convenience
Mood

I also swap them out to keep me on my toes and because some are irreplaceable so don't want to become reliant on them if I lose them. I also enjoy playing other drummers cymbals when I can

Rock Salad

I have my set I play out with and it stays the same, but so does the set list and people I'm playing with. I have a couple of extras that don't quite fit in that situation but would in others that I'd like to someday be in.

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
I rotate my cymbal selection regularly. Doing so for practice sessions can promote creativity, at least for myself.

ottog1979

Isn't it more a question of different musical situations? Instrumentation, music type or style, venue/acoustics, and the overall differing demands of the music can determine cymbal choices, for me.
A very, very little bit maybe. But other than specialty cymbals (splash, China, etc.) do cymbal sounds differentiate that much between musical styles, venue, etc? For me, I have found that I've settled in on my favorite cymbal sound and fit that into whatever I play (again, other than the needs of specific specialty sounds). Variations between music styles & venues can be handled by HOW you play them.

fobz

I have 4 crashes (I generally use 2, they're all Ks)
3 pairs of hi hats (2 are hhx, which I use almost exclusively)
Three very different rides, which I go through phases of using.
I'll think about my selection more carefully when recording, but in general my range of choice is pretty narrow anyway.
Basically, I play what I like and occasionally make minor tweaks...