Using Ride cymbal as a crash

Recently started using a Zildjian Armand series 20" ride as a crash. Anyone else out there used a ride as a crash? Any thought???
It's a cymbal, if it crashes, CRASH it, if it doesn't DON'T!

The description printed on the cymbal might be a good starting guide, but it shouldn't LIMIT the uses of the cymbal.

I have a 24in Ride, but it's a medium weight and I'll use it as a crash from time to time. It sure gets some attention!!

I use my 20" 60's Zildy A, medium-light weight, more as an accent-type thing while riding on it, and occasionaly as my crash, especially because my crash is a Sabian B8 that is really really really bright for my taste.

Recently started using a Zildjian Armand series 20" ride as a crash. Anyone else out there used a ride as a crash? Any thought???

Cymbals can be hit at any variety of dynamics, so go for it. It would make sense that that 20 would make a nice crash because it is a light cymbal. I actually thought about buying one just for that reason. I use an old Amir cymbal a lot as a crash ride though it is a crash cymbal, it has a nice riding capability.

I crash rides all the time, using when I'm playing time.
I like having the "floating" feel when I'm playing, and that helps it a lot.
Also, I am a huge fan of smaller set-ups and getting every sound out of each instrument as possible. Give me a ride and I'll find 10 different sounds to pull out of it.

I use my 24" Paiste Giant Beat Ride as a crash and I love it

Last edited:
caddywumpusRe: Using Ride cymbal as a crash
You should never, ever, under any circumstance use a ride as a crash or a crash as a ride! I mean, c'mon, that's why they ink them as crashes and rides. Wake up, people!

tell that about the ride to john bonham (who used aride as a crash) and the same about crashes to phil rudd (who doesn't have a ride but rides on big crashes). the inl is just a suggestion.

j

You should never, ever, under any circumstance use a ride as a crash or a crash as a ride! I mean, c'mon, that's why they ink them as crashes and rides. Wake up, people!

...I had better not get any flack for this obvious sarcasm!....

If it sounds good then why not?

Back