Using Ludwig's Custom Order Guide

toonamike

Ludwig doesn't do much to advertise its Custom Order Guide, which is a macro-enabled Excel spreadsheet. Because I'm a big nerd, I made a video that demonstrates how the spreadsheet works.

You can check it out at

Good video!

The the I don't like about it is that it gives you that price total that's pretty large. I'd say that a person actually pays about 60% of what that total says. I think you pretty much have to go through a dealer. Enjoyed the video though. I had no idea about the other options you could see outside of the sheet.

Good video!

The the I don't like about it is that it gives you that price total that's pretty large. I'd say that a person actually pays about 60% of what that total says. I think you pretty much have to go through a dealer. Enjoyed the video though. I had no idea about the other options you could see outside of the sheet.
Your 60% figure is what I have experienced too. The street price is about 60% of what the custom order guide calculates.

Kinda bummed me out when I configured a Classic maple with a 12x20 kick, 12x8 & 14x12 tom, with NO snare, and was @350 more than the DW frequent flyer..

Kinda bummed me out when I configured a Classic maple with a 12x20 kick, 12x8 & 14x12 tom, with NO snare, and was @350 more than the DW frequent flyer..
If you are referring to the custom order guide price, the price shown is FULL RETAIL. You will pay about 60% of the configurator's price.

Yes but at 60% of the quoted price was $350 more,...I'm by no means a DW fan, and I hope at $1700 the Ludwig kit would be a better kit

Their frequent flyer kit is design series which is their lowest quality line. I don’t believe they’re anywhere near the quality of classic maple or legacy Ludwigs...maybe compare to the neusonic...limited configurations, few finish choices, etc.

Last edited:
Their frequent flyer kit is design series which is their lowest quality line. I don’t believe they’re anywhere near the quality of classic maple or legacy Ludwigs...maybe compare to the neusonic...limited configurations, few finish choices, etc.
Do you mean the "quick pick program"? Those are Classic Maple drums. The limited finishes are simply the most popular finishes, the ones Ludwig keep in stock in quantity.

The quick pick drums are already cut to size and ready for covering.

My Classic Maple is covered in turquoise glitter, which is not a quick pick wrap. I waited about five weeks to receive my add-on drums.

The USA-made drums are Neusonic, Keystone X, Club Date, Classic Maple, Legacy Maple, Legacy Mahogany and Vistalite.

Do you mean the "quick pick program"? Those are Classic Maple drums. The limited finishes are simply the most popular finishes, the ones Ludwig keep in stock in quantity.

The quick pick drums are already cut to size and ready for covering.

My Classic Maple is covered in turquoise glitter, which is not a quick pick wrap. I waited about five weeks to receive my add-on drums.

The USA-made drums are Neusonic, Keystone X, Club Date, Classic Maple, Legacy Maple, Legacy Mahogany and Vistalite.

I’m aware of all that... I was pointing out the quality difference between DW’s entry level Design Series vs. Ludwig Classic Maples which are not an entry level series.

I ordered my Pro Beat kit from Sweetwater, but had to custom order an 18” floor tom to match. It also took 6 or 8 weeks to get.

I guess I don’t understand the point of your comment?

In rereading the post I’m guessing you thought by “Frequent Flyer kit” I was referring to a lower priced Ludwig line instead of the DW line that it is?

Last edited:
In rereading the post I’m guessing you thought by “Frequent Flyer kit” I was referring to a lower priced Ludwig line instead of the DW line that it is?
Correct. I didn't realize this had become a DW thread. ?

You didn't quote the DW message, so I assumed that you were referring to Ludwig's quick pick options as "frequent fliers."

Honest mistake. Carry on.

One question that was answered by the guide was that lacquer finishes (I configed mine in Mahogany stain) doesnt appear to be more than some of their wrap finishes

One question that was answered by the guide was that lacquer finishes (I configed mine in Mahogany stain) doesnt appear to be more than some of their wrap finishes
Yep. Some of the wraps are pretty pricey.

I met the painter when I toured the Monroe plant. He can do some amazing stuff.

I just Downloaded their new spreadsheet from April 2020. Completely different. Doesn't show prices.

I just Downloaded their new spreadsheet from April 2020. Completely different. Doesn't show prices.
Yep. Ludwig removed that information as well as the images of the different hardware options.

Because I'm STILL a big nerd, I made a new video for the new outfitter.

Yes but at 60% of the quoted price was $350 more,...I'm by no means a DW fan, and I hope at $1700 the Ludwig kit would be a better kit
The FF isn’t a US made kit and has very limited finishes while a custom order made in USA kit with custom sizes, hardware and finish is obviously going to be more expensive than a generic Taiwanese kit

Comparing a DW flyer to a CM? Surpised it is only $350 more... the quality of the ludwig is on par with a collectors kit not a design series?

Back