Using kick tower live

SlitYourDrums

Hey guys, been a while since I've been on here.
Anyways I play extreme metal, I gig, and I hate bass drums. I took Jon Engman and that dude from Akercocke's idea of using a kick tower or two in place of a bass drum. It would run through a module so it would be the same as triggering.
What does the drum community think of this? Silly and gimmicky? or a good move?

looking at this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-KP65-...1475422430&sr=1-27&keywords=drum+trigger&th=1

porter

Platinum Member
If you're triggering and not blending at all, then yeah, seems fine to do. I personally really enjoyed the kick pad on the Roland TD-20 I've played on occasionally but it might be really expensive – no idea. Less expensive pads like the Yamaha (just a guess) could be less conducive to fast playing if they are less responsive like a lot of kick pads I've played, but you might not feel that way. Plus you can probably just return it to Amazon if you end up hating it.

electrodrummer

Silly and gimmicky?

Don't quite understand your point, but I like my KP65(s). Nice to play, very reliable and used 'em live for years. (stick a patch on 'em though to save the rubber). :)

calan

Silver Member
The KP65 can be a little... finicky if you're using a double pedal. It can work (I do it), but it takes some work to get exactly the right placement.

SlitYourDrums

The KP65 can be a little... finicky if you're using a double pedal. It can work (I do it), but it takes some work to get exactly the right placement.

But as far as response and such, it works ok? I don't want it skip beats; bad triggering live is pretty embarrassing.