Using an extra PD-8 two zone pad with a TD-11K kit

Rubber toms and minimalistic cymbal pads are still "pro grade" triggers, but it's more like playing a keyboard or midi controller than an actual drum set.
I'm not suggesting that PDX6 toms and CY12 cymbals feel like actual drums, lol. What the mesh pads and heavy rubber cymbals do is invite you to 'simulate' a more natural way of playing. Like "digging in" more, instead of being hyper aware that you are playing little rubber triggers.
The TD-11 module has that "supernatural modeling" which will cooperate pretty nicely with the way you dig in to the mesh of the toms, or how you stick the CY-13 extra carefully for a tasty ride pattern. The TD-11 is sensitive and brutally precise when making a recording. So having a slightly more "natural" response under your stick can go a long way.

The more expensive pads are just there to help you pretend better, which will hopefully help you relax and makes your drum tracks feel and sound more natural.

Last edited:
Nah understand 100%, and there is some creedence to it. The better you feel the better and more confident you play. You do hear a lot of guys claiming though some of the lesser models are unusable, when they are really just triggering the sounds in the module.

One thing you might be able to help me with...and I have started another post writing my initial thoughts on this kit....And at the risk of doubling up...the snare volume doesn't seem as powerful as it should? The volume of the snare set about the same as the toms, kick, cymbals but it seems to have the weakest output of the lot. I got a little HD-3 kit with a similar size PD-8 and it rocks! I pulled it off the HD-3 and tried it on the TD-11 and there is definitely a volume drop on the TD-11 pad. Not huge, maybe not even noticeable to someone who would have just bought this kit. I only know because I had the HD-3 and the snare is the strongest component in the kit. On this kit probably the weakest.

I thought at first the head was tightened down to much so I backed it off a little and it does seem to have made some difference but still not sure the output is where it should be. I noticed the hottest spot and loudest area to hit is not the middle but 1 or 2" away from the rim (off center) if you can imagine where the V drum logo is on the head. The side closest to where you sit in front. And if I touch the rim also very loud. Just in the middle where I would think it would have it's loudest zone is quieter. I wiped all the dust and stuff off the disc sensor (piezo?) and it looks like it is in place ok. There looks like there is another little square sensor as well.

Pretty sure there is something amiss. Any ideas? I thought the skin tension had little effect on the volume, only the feel. Should I be looking for something else or is there a known issue / fix?

I always recommend downloading and reading the manual and get familiar with all the settings available.
In this case, you might skip ahead to page 42, and try sensitivity. Also adjust the rim as per pg.44 after the head is set, If i’t too loud.
100% sure there is an issue with the head bro as I swapped it out with the other PDX-8 I have and a lot more output, around 20%. More balls too if you know what I mean. Sensitivity could quite possibly fix it for now but I might try this sticky back first. Will be easy enough to pull off if it doesn't improve things. Actually just did it....sat the disk on top of the foam, didn't even glue it on. Screwed the rim back on and night and day. Looks like I fixed it...for now anyway.

Hello guys.

I am new on here and I have several questions regarding my TD11k

Firstly how do I add an extra crash cymbal? I currently only have 1 crash and 1 ride! I have the cymbal and would like to know if I can assign a different crash (sound) to that cymbal and how? Also can I make my own kit? Any info would be greatly appreciated…I am not very good with gadgets and tech so please bare with me.

Hello guys.

I am new on here and I have several questions regarding my TD11k

Firstly how do I add an extra crash cymbal? I currently only have 1 crash and 1 ride! I have the cymbal and would like to know if I can assign a different crash (sound) to that cymbal and how? Also can I make my own kit? Any info would be greatly appreciated…I am not very good with gadgets and tech so please bare with me.
I recommend getting familiar with your kit by carefully reading the manual. It has all your answers. Crash2 input is labeled on the back of the module, plug it in using a 1/4” TRS (stereo) cable.

Thanks pal,
I lost my manual when I moved house a year ago (which is why I am asking the silly questions) so I’ve not had access to that for a while but I have found some pdf formats looking on this forum which I am going through. I did try the crash 2 input but it did not work! I am thinking Mabe the cable is the wrong one and Mabe not compatable? Also why has the Roland USB been discontinued? Is there any particular reason and is it worth having one? is there even one that is Roland (VDrum) friendly?

Thanks in advance

Hi all.
Kinda on this subject I had one query I wondered whether you'd kindly help with....
Just purchased a 2nd Crash cymbal (CY8) for my kit
I know the cable loom/'snake' on my TD11K kit has a spare male jack on the right hand side of the kit (where the new cymbal is now located). I had assumed that jack was ready for a 2nd Crash, but have noticed it's labeled 'Ride' so must be for an optional 3 zone Ride or something....
Do you know if I need a separate cable for my new 2nd crash (and plug into the jack socket on the TD11 module), or could I use the spare Jack already there (above) and somehow 'assign' it to my new crash? (not sure if the crash needs a mono or dual jack either)..

I guess the only option to buy a new cable (right angled on one end) to get the new crash working...

Not sure if that makes sense...

thanks

Hi all.
Kinda on this subject I had one query I wondered whether you'd kindly help with....
Just purchased a 2nd Crash cymbal (CY8) for my kit
I know the cable loom/'snake' on my TD11K kit has a spare male jack on the right hand side of the kit (where the new cymbal is now located). I had assumed that jack was ready for a 2nd Crash, but have noticed it's labeled 'Ride' so must be for an optional 3 zone Ride or something....
Do you know if I need a separate cable for my new 2nd crash (and plug into the jack socket on the TD11 module), or could I use the spare Jack already there (above) and somehow 'assign' it to my new crash? (not sure if the crash needs a mono or dual jack either)..

I guess the only option to buy a new cable (right angled on one end) to get the new crash working...

Not sure if that makes sense...

thanks
Do you have a triple zone ride already? That uses two cables, so probably not. IMO that would have been a better upgrade (and moving the old ride to crash2). The separate input on the back of the module is actaully labelled "crash 2" so that's kinda self-explanatory :) Make sure to get a stereo (TRS) cable. If you get a triple zone ride one day, you can use a drumsplitter to make a tom rim into china or something for the old cymbal.

Back