Using a ring on the reso?

will the EC resonant head not do the job? :)

I don't have one on-hand, but I prefer being able to regulate the sustain rather than the head doing it for me and having to work within its damping level.

Ring definitely doesn't fit inside :( But I like the cotton balls for the rack tom/s, so In think that's the answer. The G14 reso really sings, but that's a good problem to have. :)

Still need a solution for the floor tom though, I might try cutting down a ring for that.

Bermuda

Cut down a ring and glue (tape, whatever) a few cotton balls to it. Voila! Cotton balls stay at the edge.

So you are trying to take the resonance out of the resonant head that helps the drum resonate?? i don't really get it i guess. You may have to play one of your vintage concert tom kits and dampen the batter side.

So you are trying to take the resonance out of the resonant head that helps the drum resonate?? i don't really get it i guess. You may have to play one of your vintage concert tom kits and dampen the batter side.
Not “taking the resonance out”. More like ‘tuning’ the resonance for a deep sound. Pretty much the opposite to what a concert tom sounds like.

So you are trying to take the resonance out of the resonant head that helps the drum resonate??

Actually, I want the drum to resonate as much as possible, that's always been the goal. Once that's done, I can fine-tune it as needed. There will be some applications where I'll leave the toms wide open, such as on un-mic'd local gigs where I want the fullness to translate to the listeners and blend with the kit better. When mic'd, I will want to control the sustain more to my liking so that the sound person doesn't have to gate it severely it to their liking.

It's all about controlling the sound, which means the toms need to start out as wide open as possible (something short of a timpanum though!)

Bermuda

It sounds like you want to damp some of the high frequency obertones that typically occur around the edge of the head. As someone mentioned earlier, you could try using a moon gel on the reso, but those don't stick well to reso heads. Something I found that works well for this are Drum Tacs. Kind of pricey for what they are, but they stick super well and have no problems hanging of the bottom of a drum. You can cut them in half and get more use out of them though. I found using a half of one about an inch off the edge of the reso head removed the odd overtones I couldn't tune out of the drum. It allowed the fundamental to speak clearer and didn't hurt the drum's sustain.

If you're looking to change on the fly and want to dampen from the inside maybe an old fashion adjustable tone control.

Actually, I want the drum to resonate as much as possible, that's always been the goal. Once that's done, I can fine-tune it as needed. There will be some applications where I'll leave the toms wide open, such as on un-mic'd local gigs where I want the fullness to translate to the listeners and blend with the kit better. When mic'd, I will want to control the sustain more to my liking so that the sound person doesn't have to gate it severely it to their liking.

It's all about controlling the sound, which means the toms need to start out as wide open as possible (something short of a timpanum though!)

Bermuda
Got it, I'm slow on the uptake sometimes! I was interpreting the post wrong and didn't understand what the goal was.

If you're looking to change on the fly and want to dampen from the inside maybe an old fashion adjustable tone control.

Not so much on the fly, the set-up will stay the same on the drum while it's used for local gigs. It would change if those drums are taken on tour (which is the plan for these Neusonics) and will stay that way until/if those drums are returned to local service.

Not so much on the fly, the set-up will stay the same on the drum while it's used for local gigs. It would change if those drums are taken on tour (which is the plan for these Neusonics) and will stay that way until/if those drums are returned to local service.
You need to customize this kit further and add baseball bat mufflers to the top and bottom heads!!! A lot of old kits had top and bottom mufflers, I wonder why, other than cost, that companies stopped ding that?

Probably because most removed them because they buzz. Engineers hated them.
See that I dont understand. All the drummers back in the 70's/80's playing double headed toms and bass drums with one head removed yet the lugs still mounted. I would think those lug inserts would vibrate like hell. Engineers...ppffffttt...

Gel/muffler/tape etc are different than what a ring does, although I'm trying some different things. I don't dislike those damping devices, I just prefer the sound with rings for certain things, and wonder if there's a further improvement also using them on the reso side.

To be fair... Gel can give the exact same effect as a ring, but you would have to break it into a number of smaller pieces and place it as such.

This qualifies it as a temporary tool to let someone know whether or not a ring will help them, but disqualifies it from meaningful use due to practicality. It doesn't stay put upside-down, etc, etc.

I wonder if you could mount a semi-rigid felt ring to an internal dampening mechanism. Like, get a rigid fiberglass ring, glue it to the dampening arm, and glue some cotton-balls to the ring.

Last edited:
To be fair... Gel can give the exact same effect as a ring, but you would have to break it into a number of smaller pieces and place it as such.

This qualifies it as a temporary tool to let someone know whether or not a ring will help them, but disqualifies it from use due to practicality. It doesn't stay put upside-down, etc, etc.

I wonder you could mount a semi-rigid felt ring to an internal dampening mechanism. Like, get a rigid fiberglass ring, glue it to the dampening arm, and glue some cotton-balls to the ring.

Or maybe just experiment with 7mm, EC, 12ml, dot with ring, dot without ring, 2ply ect. Could be expensive and time consuming but at least he has an endorsment.

So I started using DrumTacs a while back, and the company suggested I try them on the reso side instead of the batter. It's awesome, I have them on the bottoms of most of my Toms now. Nice clear notation without sacrificing tone. Depending on the size of the drum they are paced differently. The smaller the drum the closer to the hoop I place it. On 10" toms I use only half a DrumTac by cutting it with a razor blade.

Bermuda
I use gaffer tape "radiators" for this purpose. In the studio especially, with clear G1's top and bottom I need to tame the bigger drums a lot or the sympathetic vibration from the wide open toms overwhelms the sound in the OH's and spot mics. Three 2-3" radiators on the 16" for example lowers the sympathetic vibration significantly while still leaving more than enough "openness" in the sound when played.

See that I dont understand. All the drummers back in the 70's/80's playing double headed toms and bass drums with one head removed yet the lugs still mounted. I would think those lug inserts would vibrate like hell. Engineers...ppffffttt...
They did. Thats why people started using "heads" with all but the 2" around the edge cut out.

Back