Using a heavier hat on top than bottom?

Max99

Hi.
So today I was experimenting with my Sabian AA Metal-X Hi hats. I decided to try the bottom hat on top, and I actually kinda prefered the sound a little.

I decided to looks on Sabian's website. Aparently the hats used correctly round: The top is medium-heavy and the bottom is heavy...I was just curious if reversing this so the heavier hat is on top would cause damage to either hat in any way?

Thanks
Max

K.Howden

Nah, it won't cause any damage as far I'm aware just a change in sound. I've done this a couple of times and found it gives you more defined stick sound on the closed hats but the 'chick' when you pedal the hat is weaker and the open sound isn't as soft or rounded so to speak.

Hope you're well,

Kev

ENRICO

Silver Member
I've been using my hh , this way for years , I like them better because I get more stick definition but without the piercing sound that most heavy hats(heavybottom and heavy top) have

Adam8

Wow, this is strange to see because last night I had a dream about a retiring drummer I replaced in a band back in 2000 and in the dream he was showing me his kit and mentioned how he liked to put his bottom New Beat on top for better articulation.

Chaos_Inferno

Silver Member
Wow, this is strange to see because last night I had a dream about a retiring drummer I replaced in a band back in 2000 and in the dream he was showing me his kit and mentioned how he liked to put his bottom New Beat on top for better articulation.
This is exactly what I do. I played with it for a while, and if there's a difference in sound when it comes to the foot chick or playing them open, it's not noticable enough to matter to me... but I like the stick definition/articulation/overall sound of my bottom New Beat on top as well.