Using a diff't manufacturer's bass drum mount.

Lee-Bro

I prefer the look of bass drums w/o a tom mount. I have two identical DW Collectors bass drums and am considering adding a tom mount to one to have that option. However, the I'm not a fan of the weight of the DW mount and plate (8+ pounds). I've seen other companies' such as Gretsch and Tama mounts on DW drums before. But, I also like the slide track of the DW system.

So, who of you have used a bass drum mount that's different from the drum's manufacturer, what did you choose and why?

I changed mine, but I guess it was made by the same manufacturer (Ludwig). The original on my 1968 kit is that double tom holder with the thin stem that you need a wrench to reposition. It was impossible to prevent it from rotating/slipping and I wanted to take advantage of the modern technology with the freely-positionable balls that you can tighten while seated at the kit. We actually had to enlarge the stem hole a tiny bit but when reattached, the vintage hardware completely covers the slight alterations so hopefully that will be good enough for any vintage purists, should I ever decide to sell the kit which I can’t see happening.

How many toms would you be mounting to it? If only one, the Ludwig Atlas mount or the INDe Ultralite tom holder system can be used without drilling. The INDe being really lightweight and lowprofile.

How many toms would you be mounting to it? If only one, the Ludwig Atlas mount or the INDe Ultralite tom holder system can be used without drilling. The INDe being really lightweight and lowprofile.

I would be doing two on the kick. I've recently gone from a 2-up offset to a 3-up configuration or would like the option to mount them off the bass drum in a 2-up config if I'm tight on space.

2up.jpg3up.jpg

I put a Gibraltar Pearl-type mount on my Mapex SaturnV bass drum. I became tired of mounting the 12" tom from a stand, and I can get it more where I want it every time. Also, since I play one up one down, I put a cymbal boom in the right-side hole. That is one less cymbal stand. Peace and goodwill.

INDe Ultralite tom holder system
+1

For something that is low mass (but does require drilling), I use a Pearl BT-3 Bracket on the bass drum. This is what normally goes on toms as the tom bracket, and on the ISS mounts, Optimounts etc. It accepts 7/8" tubing. By using that bracket on the bass drum, it's low profile and streamlined, but still holds tight. I really like the Yamaha mounting system, so I just grab a Yamaha TH904A (3 hole receiver) and you can mount two toms and a cymbal off your bass drum. You can use any 7/8" tom/cymbal arm you like: Yamaha, Pearl, Gibraltar and most Mapex stuff is 7/8" as well. This system works well, is not bulky/heavy, holds firm and looks unobtrusive. If you choose to go this route, grab a Pearl ZD-081A memory lock and put that on the Yamaha TH904A, because it is designed exactly for the BT-3 Bracket. Photos left to right: BT-3 Bracket, TH904A, ZD-081A

Attachments

• Pearl.jpg
    Pearl.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Yam.jpg
    Yam.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Pearl Mem.jpg
    Pearl Mem.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 1
The PDP/Design mount without drilling the centre hole.

1604656094306.jpeg

I am contemplating this myself for my virgin kick and use two stealth racks on each side for a low profile hardware setup.

7E5ED287-BF69-4E58-9CB9-F55C1184B987.jpeg

Cut the double tomholder to the according height and be done with it.

1604656398400.jpeg

This PDP holder is lighter but you do need to replace the 10,7 L rod balls with 12,5 models.

As the mount has 4 screws, I would prefer those over a (tom) mount with only three screws.

Especialy with two toms and more so with DW toms that are seriously heavy.

You don’t want to ripit off while playing.

Last edited:
Does the Mapex mount fit? If so I’d go that route and if you change your mind, no harm, just pull it off.

I installed Yamaha stuff on my first DW Collectors Kit. This has been a common practice since the 50s where people would order drums without certain hardware so they could install what they liked (or knew would work better). Remember both Ringo and Neil Peart used the old Rogers Swiv-O-Matic tom mounts on their early kits because it was simply a better mount at the time. Use what you like, there are no rules. I think people only apply these rules when they’re thinking they will sell their kits in the future. I say keep the kit and make it a tool you use to play your best until it dies.

Yah, that’s it. I wonder if it would mount up to at least one hole per lug...

You know, I just may go ahead and pick this up and try to modify it to fit my DWs. I like the fact that it's a slide-track style and wouldn't be permanent if I changed my mind.

You know, I just may go ahead and pick this up and try to modify it to fit my DWs. I like the fact that it's a slide-track style and wouldn't be permanent if I changed my mind.
@larryace did this to his Gurus iirc. It’s great option, albeit heavy.

I bet with some creativity, you could get the set up to work with some factory DW snare lugs.
31jP9htawhL.jpg

Back