Used Zildjian ZBT - Worth it?

Kuromaku

When I respond to folks with these types of questions and it comes to gear - golf, guns, watches, drums... it's easy to put myself in the position of someone earlier on in the journey. So in that light, I try to be encouraging about using second hand stuff, amateur stuff, off brand stuff. I try to reserve crapping on something only for when it's a ripoff. For example, want to buy a used, non TaylorMade/Titleist/Callaway/Ping driver? Fine, you don't need to look cool for anyone. If you're okay with giving up the 8-10 yards (not a big deal), then your choice, your money. If you name an amazon knockoff that's nothing more than an aluminum block glued to a stick? Then I'll tell you that you're getting screwed. I think in this case, it's much more the former than the latter.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Some good advice... Any suggestions on what would be a step above ZBT's on a budget? I'd prefer to find a set instead of piecing it out if I can.

In the mass-market space, the step up would be Zildjian ZHT, Sabian B8X or XS20, and Paiste Alpha. I tend to recommend used A's, AA's, and PST7's over these lines though.

There is also Zultan, which have a nice selection of economically priced B20's.

roncadillac

Ive been playing drums for just shy of 20 years now. In that time I've owned Zildjian A New Beats and Sabian Hand Hammered Regular (medium) hats, in addition to several other pairs/models. Guess what my current set of hats are? Used ZBT 13" hats I got for like $30 shipped on reverb. They are honestly one of my favorite pairs I've ever owned and they fit with my sound very well.

When you first get into drumming it's common to think that better gear makes a better player. An experienced drummer on bad gear will sound better then a not so experienced drummer on the best gear.

Poke around our forum threads a bit, we've got a number of threads going about it being 'the player, not the gear' and about lower vs higher end cymbals.

The zildjian S series is a great all around set if you want something a step up that won't break the bank. Also... You can find used Zildjian A's pretty cheap.

Back to point, ZBT's are fine. Buy yourself a cheap set to get started then consider 'upgrades' down the line as you figure out what is 'your' sound and use those purchases as rewards for meeting drumming goals. If I dropped a grand on the 'best' cymbals I wanted when I first started... I would have broke half of them and the other half wouldn't fit with the sound/type of player I ultimately became.

Skoon21

Thank you all for the input. This was my first on thread on this forum and I'm shocked how many responses and comments I received, pretty awesome! The seller of the ZBT's isn't responding to my message so they're probably sold. But after some of the comments and further research, I think I'm willing to spend a little more $$ to get something a little better. But I think buying used over new is the route I'm going to take for sure. I've been checking out reverb and they seem to have some decent stuff. Anyone have luck with other sites on used gear?

roncadillac

Thank you all for the input. This was my first on thread on this forum and I'm shocked how many responses and comments I received, pretty awesome! The seller of the ZBT's isn't responding to my message so they're probably sold. But after some of the comments and further research, I think I'm willing to spend a little more $$ to get something a little better. But I think buying used over new is the route I'm going to take for sure. I've been checking out reverb and they seem to have some decent stuff. Anyone have luck with other sites on used gear?

We are a great bunch around here, you'll get to know everyone pretty quickly!

Craigslist is super hit or miss and these days I generally just deal in reverb. Most sellers are hobbyist musicians and usually are flexible with offers. I've had great success on reverb. Zildjian A's can usually be had pretty cheap used, you could put together a basic set including ride, hats, and a crash of used but good shape Zildjian A's for probably $300-$400.

Mycymbal is a great resource for sound files/samples and they sell the exact cymbals they video if something in particular strikes interest.

Again, don't discount some mid range lines like the S series. And look at other companies, they all have fairly comparable portfolios.

toddbishop

Platinum Member
I wouldn't recommend paying more than $50 for any single used student cymbal, any brand. I don't recommend buying any of them new, either. If you're paying more than ~66-75% of the cost of a dirty used A. Zildjian or Sabian AA, just buy the Zildjian/Sabian.

No Way Jose

Silver Member
I find cymbals to be super confusing. Cymbals are a personal preference. There are lots of cymbals and they all sound different. Choose the sounds that you like and it's OK to buy / sell / or swap cymbals with people.

roncadillac

I find cymbals to be super confusing. Cymbals are a personal preference. There are lots of cymbals and they all sound different. Choose the sounds that you like and it's OK to buy / sell / or swap cymbals with people.

Well said. A buddy of mine has a larger cymbal set up consisting of all 'top end' b20 cymbals from different big names... Except his ride, it's an old used sabian b8 ride. He absolutely loves it and never found a different ride he likes more so he stuck with it. Guess what? It sounds great in his band's mix both live and on recording. So I absolutely agree.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
Well said. A buddy of mine has a larger cymbal set up consisting of all 'top end' b20 cymbals from different big names... Except his ride, it's an old used sabian b8 ride. He absolutely loves it and never found a different ride he likes more so he stuck with it. Guess what? It sounds great in his band's mix both live and on recording. So I absolutely agree.

I once has a Zildjian ZXT Rock Ride that was like that; it was a real manhole cover of a cymbal, with no nuance whatsoever. But in the practice room with the band it sat in a good space sonically and it...sounded like a ride cymbal. I bought it because I needed an extra ride quick and it was cheap but it worked out a lot better than I would have expected.

roncadillac

I once has a Zildjian ZXT Rock Ride that was like that; it was a real manhole cover of a cymbal, with no nuance whatsoever. But in the practice room with the band it sat in a good space sonically and it...sounded like a ride cymbal. I bought it because I needed an extra ride quick and it was cheap but it worked out a lot better than I would have expected.

Exact same reason I purchased and ended up really enjoying the used ZBT hats I play.

C.M. Jones

One of the biggest dangers of the online-demo world thrust upon us is that we're often listening to drums and cymbals out of context. What might sound awful (at least to some) in isolation may work wonderfully in conjunction with a full band. Drums and cymbals aren't made to be played alone; they're designed to accompany other instruments. Dwelling upon their secluded sounds can be misleading.

Skoon21

Well, the $100 ZBT set I was eyeing was in fact sold. Looking all over, there were tons of used ZBT's for sale. None that looked as good as the set I was hoping for so like I said a few posts back, I decided to up my budget a little and just look for something better. And that I did! I had to drive an hour each way to pick them up but I got a used set of Paiste pst 7's (14"hats/16"&18"crash/20"ride) for $225 and in really nice shape. I need to get a couple more cymbal stands but trying them out individually they sound really good and look amazing compared to what I had, super happy!

jimb

Guess what my current set of hats are? Used ZBT 13" hats I got for like $30 shipped on reverb. They are honestly one of my favorite pairs I've ever owned and they fit with my sound very well.
Kind of this. But I'd spend that $100 on just a set of real good hats.
For me if ur playing a lot of rock and not jazz then ur hats are the most important thing cause your hitting them more than any other instrument. For my money nothing puts me off playing more than cheap clangy sounding hats. 0.2$

roncadillac

Well, the $100 ZBT set I was eyeing was in fact sold. Looking all over, there were tons of used ZBT's for sale. None that looked as good as the set I was hoping for so like I said a few posts back, I decided to up my budget a little and just look for something better. And that I did! I had to drive an hour each way to pick them up but I got a used set of Paiste pst 7's (14"hats/16"&18"crash/20"ride) for $225 and in really nice shape. I need to get a couple more cymbal stands but trying them out individually they sound really good and look amazing compared to what I had, super happy!

Not a bad starter set at a decent price! Should get you going and be easy to add/replace as you go.

No Way Jose

Silver Member
I got a used set of Paiste pst 7's (14"hats/16"&18"crash/20"ride) for $225 and in really nice shape. I need to get a couple more cymbal stands but trying them out individually they sound really good and look amazing compared to what I had, super happy!

Paiste pst 7 cymbals sound good and you have a matched set, that's good too.