Used or new

Hi, im looking at buying my first Roland kit. Budget is not huge and the kit will be used purely for practice. Am I better of buying a new TD-1 DMK or a used TD 11KV??

electrodrummer

11 - in that entry kits are very limited.

Or neither - plenty of other options out there. Which kits have you tried, what is your budget and location? What features to looking for etc.

Hi, i have a Yamaha Dtexpress 2, all rubber pads, so looking to change to all mesh. Not had opportunity to try yet, just reading reviews. My budget is £700-£800, so i know i can get a "budget kit" from Alesis and as mentioned Roland do the TD-1 DMK as their all mesh entry kit. Tourtech do the TT22 all mesh, which get good write ups, again only £399. So im assuming a used Roland is a good bet over their entry TD-1 DMK. Im based in Kent

electrodrummer

[beware - opinions upcoming]

I'd go for a DTX5x2 kit. Easy for £700-800 - and better than all the kits you mentioned. Many more features, no proprietary cable snakes, lovely silicon 3-zone pad with no hot-spots, dedicated app, sound layering, sample loading, support for 12 pads, etc. And pads that are quieter than a Tupperware sounding TD11, for example.

e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-DTX562K-Electronic-Drum-Kit-with-bass-pedal-and-hi-hat-stand/174375881586

But you need to test drive to pads and listen to the module and see what you think

Mesh is not the be-all-and-all. It's bouncy, not particularly quiet and often has bad hot-spotting (and only max of 2-zones!)

---
Usual disclaimer: I have and gig edrums from Roland, Yamaha, Alesis, Korg, Alternate Mode, UP etc etc. I have no "I own it so it must be the best" axe to grind.

Last edited:
The reason I wanted to move away from the rubber pads on my Yamaha was because they are very firm, which is causing agrovation with my right arm. I assume the silicon pads will be a lot softer?

KamaK

Platinum Member
The reason I wanted to move away from the rubber pads on my Yamaha was because they are very firm, which is causing agrovation with my right arm. I assume the silicon pads will be a lot softer?
The Yamaha silicon pad are roughly equivalent to mesh heads, and exceed them in some respects (realistic rebound control).

My opinion is that all eKits should feature at-least one non-hard-rubber-pad for the drummer to practice rudiments on. This lead me to the DTX-532. I would have gotten a 562 if it were not for the fact that the 532 was 200% above my budget.

I wasn't aware that Yamaha produced these silicon pads, thats why I naturally went towarda Roland. I'll do some research on the DTX-532. Sounds like you're happy with it?

electrodrummer

Silicone is closest to Mylar in feel - obs, down to you to test-drive.

If you're getting "aggravation" it's probably just as much to do with sticks as pads. I've been playing many types of rubber pads since 1986 and my wrists and arms still work.

What sticks - more specifically what WOOD - are you using? (don't care about size).

electrodrummer

Vic Firth 3a Hickory wood
Right -
  1. hickory doesn't really flex. I would strongly suggest a switch to maple. Maple will soak up the vibrations, which are currently being transmitted to your wrists and arms. (don't bother with snake-oil so-called anti-vibe sticks ;) )
    Flex: maple > hickory > oak.

2. Your issue (no flex) is being compounded as you are using slightly larger than average sticks - so again less flex and more vibes. Now obviously stick size is whatever feels comfortable to you and this will depend on finger length and hand size, etc. (same as glove or shoe size!), but if you find it comfy, then a more narrow stick will help your issue.
    SO, in the world of Vic Firth
    3A Diameter: .580" 14.732mm
    5A Diameter: .565" 14.351mm
    7A Diameter: .540" 13.716mm
---
I use non-big-brand bricks (12 pairs) of sticks that cost £20 delivered, so, feel free to ignore me :)

KamaK

Platinum Member
I wasn't aware that Yamaha produced these silicon pads, thats why I naturally went towarda Roland. I'll do some research on the DTX-532. Sounds like you're happy with it?

Ultimately, Yes, I'm happy with it, though please understand that I primarily use it as a trap kit to practice on after the kids are in bed. I've occasionally used it as a MIDI kit with Logic/GBand to add auxiliary percussion parts. It works well for doing hand rudiments over foot ostinatti.

The bad? The "realistic" high hat's open/lifted sound and tactile response.... It needs to be authoritatively open "before" the stick strikes. Not a little open, not open in unison, not slightly after... It takes a little while to get used to and doesn't react/respond like a real kit, leaving me wondering if a piano-pedal and clamshell would have been better.

Aside from that, no complaints. It's a blast to play and some of the odd-worldly percussion instruments make boring hand-over-foot-pattern practice a lot of fun.

FWIW, I have mine up on CL for $500