Used Ludwig Supraphonic or new Supralite???

Jml

Saw two used Supraphonics at a local music store on sale - for $199 each. Same store selling new supralite for $169. Which one would you guys recommend? If it's the used supraphonic, what should I look for to make sure I'm getting a good drum with no major defects or problems? Thanks.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Supraphonic is aluminum and US made.
SupraLite is steel and APAC made.

Go for the Supraphonic. Make sure they are round and undamaged.

opentune

Platinum Member
I'd give them a listen.
But for me, Supraphonic all day.Watch for pitting (mind you that is only cosmetic) and sticky or defective strainers. People complain about that but I've never had a problem with mine. Its an iconic drum that is workable in just about every situation.

VitalTransformation

Silver Member
Dude, I'm from Europe and if I saw two Supraphonics at that price, I'd buy them both and sell them for a big profit, no matter their condition...

T

The SunDog

I'm jumping on the bandwagon here. Supraphonic. This one's a no brainer.

G

Ghostnote

Supraphonic, no question. I have a Supralite and love it, but the Supra is the better drum.

Brian

Gold Member
supraphonic all day, assuming the condition is at least "good/average" $200 for a good used supra is a fair price.

Juniper

Gold Member
Another +1 for the Supra. Great drum.

If I was you though I'd probably get both at those prices!

mikyok

Platinum Member
Get both Supras, sell the one you don't like for more than you paid for it.

Or if there's a 400 and a 402, get em both take a picture and have a good old brag about it on here. I would!

There's no choice between a Supra and a Supralite.

What badge is on them?

Jml

Both Supras are 5x14. Both were still available this morning, so I drove over and bought one. The second one didn't seem to be in the same great shape, although it had a better head. I had the salesman tune it and I'll try it out later at home. The one I bought is a 1968 edition, based on the badge number - another reason I picked it since it's my birth year!

mikyok

Platinum Member
Congrats dude.

You now officially own the most recorded snare drum in history.

Have fun!