Used equipment ads - what makes you chuckle?

moxman

Silver Member
I don't get it.. why is it people post ads on Kijiji for drum equipment like they are selling at an auction?
eg.
"What we have here is a... beautiful 1960's snare from..etc."
or
"Up for sale here is a great set of... etc."

Or some of my other favorites;
- "4 drums, 3 cymbals have to go.. sparkly finish and very loud. Roommate left them behind because he sucked on them"

Morrisman

Platinum Member
Here's an ad from Gumtree, our version of Craigslist:

The Brutalist, Metalist Freaking Drumkit You Ever Heard

The black and white beast you see before you is a Pearl Forum 6 piece fusion⁄metal drum kit and if you're looking for a rocking time, then look no further. Guaranteed to play so hard it'll wake Joey Jordison's great grandfather.

Comes with everything you need to blow your hipster friends off their fixies:

-A big fat bass drum with brand new $100 heavy duty Evans heads - this was reported to be the cause of the Adelaide earthquakes

-3 hi toms + 1 floor tom so you can drum fill like Mike Portnoy after a double shot espresso

-$600 RRP Zildjian Custom projection crash (see picture) and Planet Z hi-hat⁄ride which when struck have a 42.5% chance of summoning the apocolypse

-$200 double kick pedal forged from the aluminium of an F117 Nighthawk bomber jet

-Drum stool which is rumoured to have been farted on by Ringo Starr

-Several pairs of Vic Firth drumsticks so you can experiment with playing while on fire and still have a backup pair

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
I laugh any time someone asks more than 50% of the new value for their old shit that smells like their smoky garage. I've seen cymbals sit on craigslist forever because some moron thinks he can re-sell them at full price or close to.

opentune

Platinum Member
I laugh any time someone asks more than 50% of the new value for their old shit that smells like their smoky garage. I've seen cymbals sit on craigslist forever because some moron thinks he can re-sell them at full price or close to.
Sometimes in a bored moment, I will email these people, send them a link showing they are actually asking more or equal to the same item new. Some even thank me for it.

It's not just the uninformed sellers either. Our vocalists Dad, also a drummer, adamantly insists to me his older Paiste Alpha (802) ride is worth over $400.

Scammers everywhere. Mind you, then there is the guy who sold me his Supra for $30.

alparrott

Platinum Member
This. Especially beginners' kits where the ads claims that "I bought it new for $1300". Dude, you got ripped off, don't try to pass your bad luck off to me.

Derek

Silver Member
You folks should go to the "Best of Craigslist" thread and check out the link that I posted a couple of days ago if you want a real, loud, hard belly laugh.

paradiddle pete

Platinum Member
Amen Brotha. that ain't grunge it's MOJO.

moxman

Silver Member
Yes.. I had a set of Rogers that were intermediate level and not deemed worthy of much (made when they were in-between US/offshore manufacturing). Yet on E-bay I saw a guy selling the exact same kit as 'Vintage' and asking 3 times what they were worth ($1200 - instead of $400)!

In any case, I see these hilarious ads all the time. Next time I'll post them up here..