USED A CUSTOM HATS?!

new there 314 but i know a guy who might sell em to me for 170 or lower used are they a good buy and there in pretty good condition do custom A's last a good long time? my other zilds broke and now im using B8 14 inch hats not too bad but still....

thanks

jonescrusher

Pioneer Member
If you have a history of breaking cymbals then A customs wouldn't be a good choice, being thin to medium thin cymbals. They're designed for pop/funk/fusion styles.

diosdude

Silver Member
If you have a history of breaking cymbals then A customs wouldn't be a good choice, being thin to medium thin cymbals. They're designed for pop/funk/fusion styles.
A customs designed for pop/punk/fusion? Really? why do you say that? I had acquired some a custom 14" hats with a kit i bought off of ebay but i didn't really think that they were better than what i was using (aa rock hats and apx hats). I would recommend the aa rock hats if you've broken some zildjian a's before. They've got a nice "chick" that really cuts through and they're very heavy in my experience. You'd be hard pressed to break them.

jonescrusher

Pioneer Member
A customs designed for pop/punk/fusion? Really? why do you say that?
Having owned a few, and having compared them to other ranges (although admittedly on Zildjian). They are certainly more colourful and shimmering as say compared to A's and their weight and attack and release certainly lends them to lighter styles than rock - I did say funk and not punk. I definitely wouldn't go with an A custom for punk.

T

trkdrmr

I have a line on some a-custom mastersounds. I would not use them with the butt-end of the stick or for "brutal" applications.

If I was hitting hard, with a potential for high-volume damage, I'd get a set of Paiste Rude hats, or Zildjian z-custom. They are more equipped to take the pounding.

remoking

I agree they are for the most part, bright and shimmering...just how I like them. Although, there are some A custom's out there that would be pretty difficult to crack,...such as the Projection crash and Medium crash. Mastersounds will indeed last you a "good long time". I've been using the 14" A Custom Mastersounds for 3 years now. They're great.

Wavelength

Platinum Member
My first pair of hats were 14" A Customs. I didn't break them during the five years I played and owned them.

Drumsword

Pioneer Member
Yeah, they will last as long as any hats in their weight class as long as they are played right. But I agree if you broke a pair of hats already..get something heavier, A Rock's or Z customs. You can find them for the same price on ebay as the A cust's your looking at. New Beats will also serve you well and you can find them for under $150.

i didnt really like hit them to hard or anything it was just there time to go the bottom hat started cracking around the bell and got bigger and bigger till i noticed it and it was halfway along the bell just like a hairline crack about halfway through the cymbal. the top was getting crappy too.

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
I have played 13" A Custom hats exclusively for almost three years now. I really like the crisp sound. I haven't had any durability concerns but I'm not a particularly hard hitter.

grooveweapon

I have a line on some a-custom mastersounds. I would not use them with the butt-end of the stick or for "brutal" applications.

If I was hitting hard, with a potential for high-volume damage, I'd get a set of Paiste Rude hats, or Zildjian z-custom. They are more equipped to take the pounding.
Picking cymbals for durability rather than sound is a decision that will only bring regret over time. To me, it seems a very difficult task to break a set of hi-hats by hitting them too hard. I have a pair of previously used 13" A custom hats that I picked up for $110 and I have been wailing on them for close to a year now. They are holding up just fine. They are cast cymbals and should hold up like other such cymbals.

My advice is to go with the A custom hats. Ultimately, if you have to settle for a sound you don't like as much for supposed "added durability" then you are going to probably move away from those cymbals eventually. With that said, I play on a Z custom power ride because I really like the sound in the context of my music, but I'm not much of a fan of the series outside the rides...