Upgrading for Pedal and Hi Hat Stand

double bass man

Years ago I bought a second hand (very cheap) Hi-Hat stand with pedal / and cymbals. 'Messed' around with it for a short while--put it away and recently I got serious about it again. I want to upgrade to better quality gear. Have done a bit of research on the subject--'not-knowing-then-what -I -know -now' syndrome and I find there is a minefield of gear out there on the subject.

My questions to all you knowledgeable guys out the there are:

a) Are Bass Drum pedals different to Hi-Hat pedal's?
b) I notice that a lot of Hi-Hat stands are not sold with pedals--is that common?
c) If I bought a Hi-Hat stand without a pedal how do I know the pedal will fit the stand?---are the pedal and stand a universal fit?
d) When I say I want to upgrade I mean a decent make --'middle of the road' price'--say up to £150 for the two--would that be a reasonable new price to pay?
e) Can you suggest any makes that are pretty good & solid?
Look forward to your expertise.

I'm still having a hard time understanding your question, so forgive me if I am off-base.

A hi-hat stand has an integral "pedal" (i.e. Footboard). You don't need to purchase a "pedal" to fit the (hi hat) stand. A bass drum is used with a bass drum *pedal*. They are two separate and distinct pieces of gear.

You purchase a complete hi-hat stand and a complete bass drum pedal.

You can mix and match brands as they are independant items.

Just buy a quality name-brand item and you will be fine as far as quality goes.

BUT-you owe it to yourself to go to a shoppe and try these items out in order to find the best feel for you.

So-it sounds like you need (1) bass drum pedal and (1) hi hat stand.

You can find these items used in great condition by a maker like Yamaha or Tama i the States for as low as $75-$100 USD each. I'm not sure about in the UK. Although I did answer one of your posts and included links to UK eBay auctions for hi hat stands. Not sure if you followed up on that post or not?

I hope I came close to answering your question.

Last edited:
Hi 'Mongrel'
Thanks for your reply. Yes in a previous thread I posted I did read your reply and did a search on ebay for a pair of Hi-Hat cymbals. I saw a pair of Zildjion 'New Beats' at a good price and bought them--they were in excellent condition and a good price.

Regarding my question in my post--question B--silly question to ask. I did know that. My mistake. I must have had a hard day!
What I wanted to know is when I buy a decent Hi-Hat stand and wanted a different--perhaps a more high end of the market pedal---would the pedal fit the existing stand without alterations to the stand? Are all pedals a universal fit?

Hi DBM.....

The thread I provided hi hat stand links to was the one you asked about buying a used hi hat stand, not the New Beat thread. :)

I am still not understanding this:
What I wanted to know is when I buy a decent Hi-Hat stand and wanted a different--perhaps a more high end of the market pedal---would the pedal fit the existing stand without alterations to the stand? Are all pedals a universal fit?
If you are talking about the part of the hi hat stand you step on the to activate the cymbals.....

That part-the footboard, is integral to the hi hat stand. It does not come off and cannot be swapped out for a "better" one. When you buy the hi hat stand you are buying the "pedal" with it.

If you are asking whether a BASS DRUM pedal is universal and fit the "stand"...

Bass drum pedals-single bass drum pedals, mount directly to the bass drum hoop via a clamping mechanism. Double bass pedals have a main pedal and a slave pedal. The slave pedal sits on a base plate on the side opposite the bass drum. As far as I know it does not connect to a "stand" hi hat or other wise.

The only other thing I can think of regarding hi hats and mounting a pedal to a stand would be a "remote hi hat" set up... But I am afraid to go there.....lol.

If you could provide a picture or two it would be helpful.

We will get through this....lol.

EDIT: lightbulb moment....

Maybe because major manufacturers use the same *footboard* on their hi hat stands and bass drum pedals you may be thinking that the "pedal" part can be switched out for a "better" one?

The answer to that is "no". Like I said above, the footboard of a hi hat stand is integral to that stand and cannot be replaced unless you want to cut, alter, and create a Frankenstein stand by cobbling bits together in your shop.

Last edited:
Hi Mongrel
Thanks for the reply. As you gather to drumming I am a newbe--but been playing double bass / guitar and banjo for many years. Taken a keen interest
in the snare & Hi-Hat of recent times. Hence questions.
I thought that a Hi-Hat 'footboard' (Never heard that term before--always thought it was a called a 'pedal') could be changed on a Hi-Hat stand--so I am learning all the time. Thanks for clearing my Hi-Hat question up.

Hi Mongrel
Thanks for the reply. As you gather to drumming I am a newbe--but been playing double bass / guitar and banjo for many years. Taken a keen interest
in the snare & Hi-Hat of recent times. Hence questions.
I thought that a Hi-Hat 'footboard' (Never heard that term before--always thought it was a called a 'pedal') could be changed on a Hi-Hat stand--so I am learning all the time. Thanks for clearing my Hi-Hat question up.
Anytime...Glad to be of help!

Keep the questions coming.

Back