Nitemare

Hey everyone!

...it's been a while.

anyway, im selling all my cymbals to upgrade! I currently own:
-a set of ddrum d2 hats
-a Paiste 200 14" crash
-a Sabian AAX 18" Stage Crash
-a Sabian Xs20 20" Medium Ride
I already have the selling prices worked out. I've been looking at a few different lines and such, and i'd like everyone's opinions and suggestions! Currently considering:
-Zildjian A (a set, this is my top choice)
-Meinl Mb10 hats, Mb8 ride, and Classics crashes (2nd choice)
-Paiste Twenty or Giant Beat hats and crashes, and Giant Beat 20" Multi (3rd)
-Dream Bliss series (a set)
-Sabian Vault (the most expensive and im not too sure)
My playing style is Thomas Pridgen/Brann Dailor meets Martin Lopez. I play all genres but primarily whatever's fun at the time :p
Thanks everyone!!!!

MikeM

Platinum Member
You sir, have a huge problem. If you were to just say you were a Sabian guy, or a Zildjian guy, Paiste, Meinl, Camber, or whatever, it would be easier. But you've listed some respectable lines from the several makers which means that you're open-minded about what to get. That can only lead to trouble and a lifetime of "upgrades" so I hope you're rich and not thinking that this'll be the end of it - this is just the beginning, I'm afraid.

If it were me, I'd just take the top one on your list and never visit another music store (I'm also partial to As, but have the same cymbal affliction).

jodgey4

Silver Member
Having an open mind is great. The best thing to do will be to play a few. You can also check out cymbalsonly.com and listen to sound files of cymbals there, and find one you like. I went through every almost every single ride they had and narrowed it down to three, then slowly the Istanbul Agop 21" Vezir Jazz Ride stole my heart. The AAX is a nice cymbal, just curious why are you selling it...?

daredrummer

Gold Member
3!

1/10 members on this forum will swear by the giant beats!

Zildjian A's are nice too, but I like the GB's better.

MikeM

Platinum Member
The AAX is a nice cymbal, just curious why are you selling it...?
That's a good question. AAXs are nothing to sneeze at, but myself, I'm not too crazy for the Stage Crashes - at least I've never played one thin enough for my liking and I question its medium-thin classification. Those feel like mediums to me.

So yeah, lodge your complaint about that one so we can direct you toward something more to your liking.

Nitemare

Problem is I'v heard sound files and/or played all of these cymbals, which is how i narrowed it down. The AAX is a good line, however the stage crash just isnt for me. I cant describe it exactly, but it doesnt fit to my ears as well as the crashes i listed.

classicstar

My playing style is Thomas Pridgen/Brann Dailor meets Martin Lopez. I play all genres but primarily whatever's fun at the time :p!
Well. I would definitely love to see you play! 3 of my favorite drummers of all time!

For that mix of styles I think I would go with the Meinl's. All of those cymbals that you mentioned from them are very versatile and well work well with your taste. But I'm not you. So I can't tell you for sure :p

Nitemare

Well. I would definitely love to see you play! 3 of my favorite drummers of all time!

For that mix of styles I think I would go with the Meinl's. All of those cymbals that you mentioned from them are very versatile and well work well with your taste. But I'm not you. So I can't tell you for sure :p
I'll be putting some videos up on YouTube soon :) thanks, ill look into the Meinls more

Nickg

youre the second person so ill definantly go to my guitar center and check again! Thanks

Nitemare

What Zildjian A's and Giant Beats are you looking at? They're the only ones on your list that I own and have any experience with.
Zildjian
-A Medium-Thin 18" Crash
-A Medium 17" Crash
-A New Beat 14" Hats
-A Medium 20" Ride

Paiste
-Giant Beat 14" Hats or Twenty 14" Hats
-Giant Beat 20" Multi
-Twenty 16" Crash
-Twenty 18" Thin Crash

daredrummer

Gold Member
Zildjian
-A Medium-Thin 18" Crash
-A Medium 17" Crash
-A New Beat 14" Hats
-A Medium 20" Ride

Paiste
-Giant Beat 14" Hats or Twenty 14" Hats
-Giant Beat 20" Multi
-Twenty 16" Crash
-Twenty 18" Thin Crash
To be honest, I don't like Zildjian A's at all (except for the hats) but that's just me, lots of people do like them.
Love the Twenty's and Giant Beats though. However you may want to look into the 24" ride. If you're planning on using the 20" as your main ride you may find it to be a bit too washy, especially for heavier styles.

nickg

Silver Member
Nitemare;877024Nickg youre the second person so ill definantly go to my guitar center and check again! Thanks[/QUOTE said:
the Giant Beats have a nice shimmery sound that i think you'll like for sure.

Nitemare

To be honest, I don't like Zildjian A's at all (except for the hats) but that's just me, lots of people do like them.
Love the Twenty's and Giant Beats though. However you may want to look into the 24" ride. If you're planning on using the 20" as your main ride you may find it to be a bit too washy, especially for heavier styles.
Thanks! I didn't even think about that, but reviewing the notes i took upon my last visit to Guitar Center, i did write the 20" was a washy ride! Thank you, ill look into the 24"

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Thank you, ill look into the 24"
That ride puts the GIANT into Giant Beat.

I picked up the 18, 20 and 24 not long ago. I am totally in love with these cymbals. None moreso than the 24 ride.....that thing is huge and not the least bit "gongy" which you can often find in a cymbal of that size. They are some of the most musical cymbals I've ever owned. They are not "bright and cutting" in the same manner as the Twenty's (or even the A's for that matter) are, but there's a real rolling mid-range wash that's so full it's brilliant. Well worth checking out.

All that said, I have quite a few A Zildjians that I love and have played for years too...including the New Beats and the 18" med/thin on your list. I'll keep them forever too. Glad it's not me choosing.

Nitemare

That ride puts the GIANT into Giant Beat.

I picked up the 18, 20 and 24 not long ago. I am totally in love with these cymbals. None moreso than the 24 ride.....that thing is huge and not the least bit "gongy" which you can often find in a cymbal of that size. They are some of the most musical cymbals I've ever owned. They are not "bright and cutting" in the same manner as the Twenty's (or even the A's for that matter) are, but there's a real rolling mid-range wash that's so full it's brilliant. Well worth checking out.

All that said, I have quite a few A Zildjians that I love and have played for years too...including the New Beats and the 18" med/thin on your list. I'll keep them forever too. Glad it's not me choosing.
Just read your reply on my other thread as well! Thanks, you guys are all giving great feedback, and yeah, it's a hard choice!

Nitemare

OK NEW PROPOSAL

No more Option 2 unfortunatly, its out of my budget and i dont really want to stretch for those. So is Option 3, but im willing to stretch for how much i LOVE the GB sound. Option 4 is looking really good, as is Option 1. I'm still deciding certain aspects of Option 5.

daredrummer

Gold Member
OK NEW PROPOSAL

No more Option 2 unfortunatly, its out of my budget and i dont really want to stretch for those. So is Option 3, but im willing to stretch for how much i LOVE the GB sound. Option 4 is looking really good, as is Option 1. I'm still deciding certain aspects of Option 5.
I've heard lots of great things about dream cymbals, but the problem I have with them is that they're just too washy and trashy, even there heaviest lines. If you've tried them in a store then you're probably good, but they're a LOT more trashy and washy in person than in online samples.

I just don't like the way they speak as much as others.

I'm still going for the GB's! If not for my Zildjian K's then they would be my cymbals of choice!
If you're concerned about the budget, then consider buying used. They're are tons of excellent deals on ebay, especially on Giant Beats.

14" hats for $245
15" hats for $300
18" Crash for $170
20" Crash for $140
24" Ride for $250

The crashes, ride, and 14" hats would only be about $800.

Nitemare

I've heard lots of great things about dream cymbals, but the problem I have with them is that they're just too washy and trashy, even there heaviest lines. If you've tried them in a store then you're probably good, but they're a LOT more trashy and washy in person than in online samples.

I just don't like the way they speak as much as others.

I'm still going for the GB's! If not for my Zildjian K's then they would be my cymbals of choice!
If you're concerned about the budget, then consider buying used. They're are tons of excellent deals on ebay, especially on Giant Beats.

14" hats for $245
15" hats for $300
18" Crash for $170
20" Crash for $140
24" Ride for $250

The crashes, ride, and 14" hats would only be about $800.
Thanks, I only buy used, and my budget is 700 :(