Upgrading a drum kit

carbar1103

Hello

I am new to drumming and bought myself a cheap kit (Carlsbro CSD100), just to get me started. I have been having lessons and am beginning to notice things that I can't do on that kit, such as cymbal choke and rim click.

I was wondering if it is possible to upgrade a kit like this and if there are compatibility issues between different manufacturers kit?

Thanks,

Carl

Never heard of the brand and had to look it up. It seems like a very basic set that you can't upgrade, otherwise it would have listed that there are more inputs for add-ons. If you wan't to do more on an electric kit, it's better to upgrade to a more expensive and extensive set. Some cheaper Alesis and Roland kits have those options you want/miss, but means buying a new set. The more expensive the kit, the more it can do. But it all depends on your budget.

Hiya

Generic Chinese/Medeli kit from same place as Donner, Fame, Millennium, Alesis etc.

So - that will mean stuff from those kits will probably just swap in and out. So you might sometime bits (new hat controller, chokeable crash, 3-zone ride, and new module to support those features - but this may just prove to be a pain (depends on functions needed and budget)

OR - depending on your budget for the project- it might be prudent to sell the kit as a complete unit to another new drummer, and buy something that has the features you require now. 2nd user for the best value. If you take this route you need to decide what features you want, then go and test-drive a loads of pads to see if you like the feel of, say, Roland mesh, Yamaha silicone, Alesis mesh, various rubber. etc etc - only you can deicde what you like. the feel (and sound) of. Also download and read the manuals of kits you're interested in - they're all online and free.

I have not heard of that brand. How do you like the kit?

Carlsbro is a ?? British company been around since 1959. Mainly known for their core business of amplification. Sometimes dabbles in other stuff.

Hello

Thanks for the replies. I actually find the Carlbro a good kit, but that might just be because I don't know much about drumming. The reviews were favourable and I didn't want to spend a lot of money in case I decided after a couple of lessons that drumming wasn't for me.

Sounds like I should save up for a new kit, perhaps as a present for getting grade 1.

Thanks,

Carl

Hello

Thanks for the replies. I actually find the Carlbro a good kit, but that might just be because I don't know much about drumming. The reviews were favourable and I didn't want to spend a lot of money in case I decided after a couple of lessons that drumming wasn't for me.

Sounds like I should save up for a new kit, perhaps as a present for getting grade 1.

Thanks,

Carl
[/QUOTE

I recommend the roland TD11 if you can find a used one or the TD17 even better, you can do cymbal chokes and it is a very decent set. you can also upgrade the pads and add extra cymbals I have mine with 7 cymbals (by using splitters for the toms second zones plus an extra input) The module cable (a cable snake) it even comes with an extra cable just in case you were to buy a 3 zone ride, and for the Hi Hats, you can just get the Goedrum controller for about $50dlls and it will work just like a much more expensive Roland hi hat controller. (I know I have one and it works great), Maybe going to your local music store (my store here in California usually always has used electronic cymbals and pads for very cheap). or check Facebook, Ebay or any other site where you can find used gear .. I guarantee you will find a good deal on a good set. You WILL have to spend money but you don't have to break the bank to get good gear. Or you can buy a very cheap acoustic set and convert it to electronic. Millions of tutorials on how to do it in YT that way you can have a kit that looks great and plays a lot better (better ergonomics).

Probably you can't. The module has to support it, and also dual zone/chokeable things need a stereo cable which is probably not what you have (except for the ride). If by chance the crash wire has a stereo plug, you can try if choke works with the ride pad on that end. If the snare wire is stereo, it may also give you some hope (e.g. it's possible the brain is the same as for the CSD120), but it's just too much money and risk versus selling the whole kit and getting a new one.

Back