Upgrade Season!

YAHAHA

It's been a minute since I've been active on this forum... life gets in the way. Now that my son is getting ready for high school band, we are spending a lot more time drumming together.

I have the YAMAHA RTC black sparkle 7-piece kit with turbo length toms. It was my dream kit when I was young & took me lots of years to afford it. I've been trying to find additional drums over the years to build the set bigger and until last week, I had only been successful in finding the wood snare drum. I just found an 8x8 & 10x10 to add to my set! Now all I need is a 12x12 to complete it.

Really excited about the new additions and can't wait for them to arrive!

Attachments

• yamaha-drums-50th-anniversary-13506-0-20170403142931.jpg
    yamaha-drums-50th-anniversary-13506-0-20170403142931.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 38
nice!!!

and welcome to band parenthood!! I am the percussion instructor at our school, so it is cool to see people on the brink of that acitivty

I remember when they came out... I was in total lust!. I would just sit and look at that hypnogalaxy sparkle and it literally affected my limbs to look at that kit in Modern Drummer ads and my Yamaha catalog. To this day it's one of my all time favorite finishes plus the stretch lugs were just beyond cool on that color. I've seen it on a D.W. small lug kit some years ago and once again that lustful trance set in.

He got to play the marching snare with the high school at a football game & can't wait for marching band next year!

yep...good old 8th grade ight!!!

Percussion instructor has got to be a dream job! What age are your students?

I do middle school band, all of the percussion stuff at the high school, and then am the coordinator of Percussion for the whole school system. At the high school I do marching band, indoor drumline, concert band, percussion ensembles, jazz band rhythm section, and private lessons for all the kids, which are required

it is a dream job...I am paid -well sort of - to be surrounded by drumming all day. When I was a young kid - like 4 or 5 - I stated that I would be a drummer for a living, and the nit happened

I just found an 8x8 & 10x10 to add to my set! Now all I need is a 12x12 to complete it.
Yup ..... finding matching add-ons ..... on a discontinued kit, can be a real challenge. I've had some projects come together pretty fast, others take years, and some I end up abandoning. Gotta make it a daily task, to check eBay, Reverb, CraigsList, and Guitar Center used ..... and FaceBook Yamaha group. And sometimes, ya might have to buy a whole kit, just to get the one drum you need (and then sell off the rest).

I've got the early Yamaha 8000 series in real wood (20, 12, 14) so I'm searching for add on's there, especially another floor tom. But I'll happily play it as a 4 piece kit ...... I've got 3 other kits with double floor toms.

My silver/grey badge Stage Customs (discontinued Raven Black with the greensh hue) shell pack came to gether a lot faster. (two 18x15, 22x17, 10x8, 12x8, 12x9, 14x13, 16x16 and snare).

You're kit's real sweet. Gonna have to post some "non=stock" photo's.

I'm still in love with the power tom era & I search for shells in that depth as much as I can. This kit was everything I was looking for in that era and still to this day.
"Fusion" depths just don't do it for me.

So, "turbo toms" mean deep toms while "fast toms" means shallow toms.

Got it. 🥴

Looking at a Zildjian K Custom Hybrid 17" Crash. Only need a few more dollars and it's mine.

"Outdated" or not, I really enjoy my Yamaha set with power toms... It looks and sounds exactly the way I always wanted drums I'd own to look and sound. :)

Removed all of the cymbals to try to find a setup that works.

I'm not a leftie but I use a leftie double pedal so I can ditch the right bass drum & move the floor toms more towards center.

I really want to find a 12*12 so I can ditch the 13*13. That way drums will all be in 2" increments: 8 10 12 14 16 18!
Welcome back YAHAHA! Congrats on getting your kit together! I'm also very curious about your review of using a leftie double pedal to center the bass drum. I have considered the same but thought it sounded like a crazy idea--but you are doing it! How does it work for you? Thanks! (btw, I am also considering an Offset brand pedal but am not that interested in having a bass pedal to my left).

Welcome back YAHAHA! Congrats on getting your kit together! I'm also very curious about your review of using a leftie double pedal to center the bass drum. I have considered the same but thought it sounded like a crazy idea--but you are doing it! How does it work for you? Thanks! (btw, I am also considering an Offset brand pedal but am not that interested in having a bass pedal to my left).
Thanks. I've been playing this way about 20 years or so. I love the setup because I can also swing the hats right in front of my snare so I don't have to play cross handed. If you play on carpet, I would suggest putting extra Velcro on the bottom of the slave pedal so it doesn't move. If you don't play on carpet, you will have to find a good way to secure it so it doesn't walk on you

I bought an Iron Cobra right pedal & converted to lefty because at the time, I couldn't find a lefty pedal. The guy at the store was really cool because he let me disassemble the righty pedal in the store to see if I could convert it from righty to lefty!

Back