Updated version of Amazing Grace as a melodic drum solo

very interesting to say the least

amazing work my friend

Thanks guys! Being almost deaf has not stopped me. I just took my drumming in a different direction. I've been doing this for about 6 years now, Bozzio has been a huge influence, but really I just play what I want. This clip is part of a clinic that will be airing on local TV several times a week for the month of August. Should be interesting..

Jim, you da man! A genuine song form, pleasing single strokes, terrific coordination and accuracy, and a mad solo in the middle. Worked for me - and the cornball factor was plus :)

Wow! That's really very interesting and well played! I have some questions:

Did you make the rack?
Do you have some form of master chart for the drum tuning?
Is that something we could see?
Have you worked out other tunes?

Thanks guys, I really do appreciate it.
Yes I did make the set. The rack is fenceposts from Lowes Hardware and some crossbars. I cut old ebay purchased toms to make the piccolo toms. The wrap is just white contact paper with a little blue spray paint (followed by a coat of polyurethane for shine). This is a vintage Rogers kit, I've always wrapped it with contact paper because if I ever get rid of it the original wrap will be perfect.
Yes I have done other tunes..check out my youtube videos (most popular is a Wizard of Oz melody).
Please sharew this, I would like as many drummers as possible to see that you don't just have to be a speed demon or follow the basic soloing "rules" to come up with interesting stuff. The nice thing about this is that non-drummers (i.e. wives, girlfriends) usually enjoy it just as much as drummers. That is unheard of for a drum solo!

Thanks a lot! Believe it or not this is just one tune from a clinic that will be shown on my local cable station in August. Not that big a deal, only 50,000 in the viewing area, chance of more than a couple hundred watching is slim, but hey, it will be on air. I would love to do more of my tunes for just drummer friends..

Back