Updated photo of my kit

johnwesley

Silver Member
Obviously the drives seat. The cymbal in the middle is a 20" K heavy ride. The crashes are 16" K to the right and next to it a 16" Istanbul Agop Xist, and below them are my 13" K hi hats. To the left is a 17" K and next to it a Sabian AA 10" china. Then further down is the famous "trashcan" cowbell. Sticks are in a bamboo wood flower vase mounted on a cymbal stand. I know this is way more info than you need or even wanted, but I am bored and though I'd share.

20200907_151347.jpg

That looks like a nice set of drums and cymbals. Peace and goodwill.

Coolio! Now I wanna hear it!

Cable hat on right side?
What’s the green thing? Bottle holder?

Obviously the drives seat. The cymbal in the middle is a 20" K heavy ride. The crashes are 16" K to the right and next to it a 16" Istanbul Agop Xist, and below them are my 13" K hi hats. To the left is a 17" K and next to it a Sabian AA 10" china. Then further down is the famous "trashcan" cowbell. Sticks are in a bamboo wood flower vase mounted on a cymbal stand. I know this is way more info than you need or even wanted, but I am bored and though I'd share.

View attachment 95744

wouldplay/10

Crazy, but in a good way! How do you do a rimshot on your snare? Also, I've never used a remote hi hat but that's where I'd put it if I did. I've heard people say that they lag a little bit. Is that true? When I see the trash can cowbell I want to start hitting things around the house to see what they sound like! hehe

Coffee cup....meh,
Fan, knock a couple teeth outa the grill, FAST click,
Cat tree, various tones, some OK.
Cat, not so much

Crazy, but in a good way! How do you do a rimshot on your snare? Also, I've never used a remote hi hat but that's where I'd put it if I did. I've heard people say that they lag a little bit. Is that true? When I see the trash can cowbell I want to start hitting things around the house to see what they sound like! hehe
Snare sits high enough to pull off rim shots since I play open handed despite what Buddy says. Yeah, there is a bit of a lag in remote hats, but once you get used to it there's no problem. Best part is using the hat without crossing your arms. As for hitting things around the house searching for sound, that'not a bad idea. I discovered the "cowvbell" by accident and since I didn't have one I added a floor tom leg racket and mounted it on an "L" arm to my cymbal stand. BTW, I once saw a guy using a ship bell (10" I think) mounted on a cymbal stand and it put cowbells to shame.

View attachment 95744
Interesting using snares for toms it looks like? I like the idea of using same size toms tuned differently-similar notion. Nice cymbals! So got your hats on remote-do you get the same feel with them remotely?

When I see the trash can cowbell I want to start hitting things around the house to see what they sound like! hehe
Gene Hoglan used to have a glass ashtray and a 50mm artillery shell mounted in his kit. In an ages ago interview he stated that he would hit random stuff and if it sounded cool he'd get his tech to mount it in his kit.

Interesting using snares for toms it looks like? I like the idea of using same size toms tuned differently-similar notion. Nice cymbals! So got your hats on remote-do you get the same feel with them remotely?
I got rid of my DWs and built this kit from various drums. Had all these great snares on a shelf and decided I'd use them as rack toms. They sound great and add what I consider a nice paradigm expansion to a drum set. Yeah I have the DW 9000 series remote hats, and love the idea of placing them where I don't have to play cross armed. There is a bit of a lag, but once you get used to it they work out fine. Never liked playing hats to the left. I prefer everything "open" and in front. BTW, the copper patina looking thing to the left is a metal bathroom trash can that I use as a "cowbell". Ha Ha. Sounds great.

Back