Upcoming Netflix Documentary on Drummers

SomeBadDrummer

Gold Member
It's OK. but nothing there most don't already know.. Watch Pulp Fiction again instead.
Pulp Fiction wasn’t available without renting it, so I ended up watching Boondock Saints again. It is a charming little film about two loving brothers doing cleanup work in Boston.

someguy01

Gold Member
This thread has reassured me that everyone on the interwebs is still a critic.
IMO this critical examination of everything has ruined so many movies for me lately. The whiny nerds on Instatwitface have worked very hard to ruin Star Wars with all their incessant complaining. Same with the comic book nerds and the Marvel movies. George Lucas was a crap director but really good with special effects and it seems the older nerds failed to realize that back in 1977.
I expect entertainment, and "Count Me In" provided just that. If I take any issue with it that would be that it isn't a documentary just an entertaining movie.

SomeBadDrummer

Gold Member

I expect entertainment, and "Count Me In" provided just that. If I take any issue with it that would be that it isn't a documentary just an entertaining movie.
Perhaps I was too critical in my review, was simply stating my opinion on the first 20 minutes. It was neither a documentary nor entertaining to me, so I shut it off. Could have been that I was expecting something different, and it just didn’t hold my interest. Decided to watch Cranford instead.
Maybe some night if there’s nothing else to watch I might try it again with adjusted expectations.

IMO this critical examination of everything has ruined so many movies for me lately. The whiny nerds on Instatwitface have worked very hard to ruin Star Wars with all their incessant complaining. Same with the comic book nerds and the Marvel movies. George Lucas was a crap director but really good with special effects and it seems the older nerds failed to realize that back in 1977.

The Star Wars series can't be ruined by criticism. It's the same movie over and over again -- sometimes with Mark Hamill milking made-up space mammals. At least George Lucas knew enough to make us laugh now and again.

someguy01

Gold Member
The Star Wars series can't be ruined by criticism
Oh but has been. They changed directors, changed story lines, changed up plot lines, all to appease a very loud minority on the interwebs. The crybabies killed off the individual character movies with their whining about Solo: A Star Wars story. George Lucas is a better director than Ron Howard. Said no one. Ever.

Pretty soon there will be nothing left to entertain us because 3 people got offended by a tertiary character that had 20 seconds of screen time.

cbphoto

Gold Member
Anyone who reads knows that Lucas lifted his concepts from the novel Dune.

There’s a video on the internet that is an excellent edit/compilation of episodes 1–3. It eliminated all the goofy/irrelevant stuff into about 20 minutes and sets up episode 4 very well.

Steve30907

Regular Poster
You do realize this is a topic on a discussion forum right?

Hewitt2

Agreed, without Dune, Star Wars would have been different, or maybe not even a concept Lucas came up with

Dune is an amazing book, can never recommend it enough.

An arguably even better place to trace inspiration is Joseph Campbell’s The Hero With a Thousand Faces.

Campbell outlines the hero’s journey which is foundational to narrative and how we define what it is to be a hero. Lucas has often spoken of the importance of this work on his films.

someguy01

Gold Member
100%
Like I said earlier, George was a genius at special effects and that was what was so ground breaking in 1977.
Disney wanted ILM and Skywalker Sound, Star Wars was a bonus.
As for Dune, I'm intrigued by the new movie version. I hope it's as good as they're making it out to be.
However, Kyle MacLachlan will always be Paul Atreides and Mr. Mayor.
You do realize this is a topic on a discussion forum right?
Nope. Had zero clue this was a discussion forum.

Capital D

I'm not sure that Dune was the only influence on Lucas. I think there was a Japanese movie called the 7 Samurai that also had a huge influence.

Al Strange, Copeland's On Drums was super cool! I haven't seen or been able to find "The Art of Drumming", but I keep hearing good things about it.

Otto

Platinum Member
I'm not so sure I am put off by the inclusion or exclusion of any specific drummer.

I think I am put off because the presentation felt more 'advertisy' than documentary...or even 'entertainy'.

Afterward i was really curious about the flow of money in relation to the inclusion of some of the highlighted snippets given how far astray of the general tone they fell...felt like interjected commercials popping up at times.

"Art as expression not market campaigns" seems to have taken a beating here...and my imagination was not captured. (pardon the attempt to use the work of one of the more vocally missed drummers to illustrate the point)

Last edited:

SomeBadDrummer

Gold Member

There’s a video on the internet that is an excellent edit/compilation of episodes 1–3. It eliminated all the goofy/irrelevant stuff into about 20 minutes and sets up episode 4 very well.
Dune is a fabulous novel, loved it and now I must reread it.

I saw the original Star Wars in the theatre when I was 10, blew me away. There was nothing else even close to the special effects at that time. Lucas was a genius in that he gathered together everyone it took to pull off some amazing SE for that era using models and strings to suspend them. Compared to previous scifi films it was monumental and raised the bar considerably for the industry.
For those jonesing for all things Rush:
9 Sep 2021
Hey thanks for posting this! I plan on watching over the weekend. EDIT: apparently not available online yet :cry:

I was never an huge Rush fan during my formative years, but can definitely appreciate Neil's incredible talent and contribution to music across the decades. What would life be without so many of the Rush classics? Hard to say, except that it would have been less.
Tom Sawyer, YYZ, Red Barchetta, etc. have been ingrained into my mind for better or worse, I believe for better.

Last edited:

SomeBadDrummer

Gold Member
I watched it last night. It was okay. I personally preferred Stewart Copeland’s “On Drums” and Steve White’s “The Art of Drumming” documentaries… :unsure: :)(y)
Do you have a link to Stewart Copeland's "On Drums"? I'd love to watch that!

Sakae2xBopster

Regular Poster
I watched it, start to finish. I liked some parts. Overall, I'd say meh, mostly because of the way it was made.
*SPOILER ALERT*
They interviewed as many drummers as they could find (or afford) within their time constraints. They then grouped clips into half-a-dozen or so categories, based on the commonalities of what was said in the interviews. To give it a little bit of a narrative structure, and to keep viewers hanging on for a promised surprise at the end, they periodically interspersed segments of a drummer putting together a perfect kit (perfect for that upcoming performance, at least).
Given that the filmmakers were at the mercy of what people said, I think they did okay. It's just not my favorite style of telling a story.
My wife watched it, too, and gave the producers props for including more female drummers than usual. And given that she has been hearing about Neil Peart from her brothers pretty much nonstop for half a century, she didn't mind that omission.