Upcoming Netflix Documentary on Drummers

Otto

Platinum Member
The movie didn't seem to catch the essence of western drumming...I really didn't come away feeling drumming was portrayed as art...more as a pseudo-shamanistic bludgeoning subculture.

Blackman's playing was the most interesting shown of the 'current' drummers involved.

The movie smelled more of producer ego than an exploration of drumming.

ottog1979

“Yes, I’m a drummer, and look at my cool 12-cylinder F1 coupe. Wifey likes it there.”

RIGHT?! My wife caught that (we watch Netflix series Formula 1 together - a fantastic show by the way) and I didn't even notice. I was concentrating on what he was saying.

cbphoto

Gold Member
RIGHT?! My wife caught that (we watch Netflix series Formula 1 together - a fantastic show by the way) and I didn't even notice. I was concentrating on what he was saying.
Formula 1 show: Agreed. Very entertaining. Especially when they talk about “the formula“ used for the cars and tech. I never knew!

Regarding Count Me In, I loved the section on Keith Moon. He was from a different realm.

I understood it's message and what it set itself out to be and I think it accomplished that.
So what did you take it to message to be? I’m not being facetious – – I’m genuinely curious. Because, as I mentioned earlier, while I very much enjoyed it – – I especially loved how seriously they took Keith Moon‘s drumming, and didn’t just focus on him as a wild man (although they did that too) — I really wasn’t sure what the theme of the documentary was beyond showing drummers loving drummers and drumming.

MrPockets

Gold Member
So what did you take it to message to be? I’m not being facetious – – I’m genuinely curious. Because, as I mentioned earlier, while I very much enjoyed it – – I especially loved how seriously they took Keith Moon‘s drumming, and didn’t just focus on him as a wild man (although they did that too) — I really wasn’t sure what the theme of the documentary was beyond showing drummers loving drummers and drumming.

Drums be cool, yo.

Steve30907

Regular Poster
As moodman said it would take a Ken Burns type documentary series to do the subject justice. Kinda seemed like a piece of crap thrown together with a couple random name LA drummers to get some sweet Netflix money.

Icetech

Gold Member
As moodman said it would take a Ken Burns type documentary series to do the subject justice. Kinda seemed like a piece of crap thrown together with a couple random name LA drummers to get some sweet Netflix money.
Nope.. the best documentary was already made it's called "the art of drumming", easily the best drumming docu i have ever seen..

someguy01

Gold Member
Nope.. the best documentary was already made it's called "the art of drumming", easily the best drumming docu i have ever seen..
Where did you watch this in the US? I am unaware of any service that offers Sky. I would love to watch.

Icetech

Gold Member
Where did you watch this in the US? I am unaware of any service that offers Sky. I would love to watch.
I have it on my Gdrive will PM you.. trust me.. it's amazing... i have watched it like 10 times (background noise when working)

iCe

I'll watch it, hopefully it'll be better than Stand Up For Drumming, the show they did featuring Fred Armisen, I had to turn that one of it was so painfully unfunny.

Oh man... i watched it too and can't believe i watched it until the end. I guess i was hoping it would become more funny :(

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I just want to point out that in 2021, unless you are 50+, Foo Fighters is more important than Rush. Only Rush fans will be upset by no Peart.

This reminds of someone who once said that the people who hate Dream Theater the most are Dream Theater fans.

Is there anything else about Neil Peart or Rush that hasn't been said a million times already? I mean, what do we NOT know that we want to know? Or is the concern about his absence in the documentary just a respect thing?

I'm not trying to pick a fight; I'm just curious.

cbphoto

Gold Member
This reminds of someone who once said that the people who hate Dream Theater the most are Dream Theater fans.

Is there anything else about Neil Peart or Rush that hasn't been said a million times already? I mean, what do we NOT know that we want to know? Or is the concern about his absence in the documentary just a respect thing?

I'm not trying to pick a fight; I'm just curious.
My guess is that Peart died while the film was under production, and out of respect the producers avoided him as a topic. Just a guess.

It was produced in and around the Los Angeles area, yet they never got the usual heavies (Simon, Vinnie, Josh, etc.) into the film.

Last edited:

yammyfan

I just found it odd that all of the most commonly name checked rock drummers in history were there - Ringo, Moon, Baker, Bonham, etc. yet Peart's name didn't come up once. Like, you never see that happen in real conversation.

Neil Peart was not just another drummer. His name will forever be tossed around in debates about the greatest/most influential rock drummers in music history. How it didn't come up once in an hour and twenty minute documentary about drummers is beyond perplexing. You would almost have to go out of your way to avoid mentioning him.

Last edited:

someguy01

Gold Member
I guess because I was never a Rush fan I don't have the love for Neil that some do. I could take or leave his drumming. It's super technical and clean, but never moved me in any way, and for that matter neither did any of Rush's music.
Let the shock and potential hate commence.

yammyfan

I guess because I was never a Rush fan I don't have the love for Neil that some do. I could take or leave his drumming. It's super technical and clean, but never moved me in any way, and for that matter neither did any of Rush's music.
Nothing wrong with that at all. The world would be a pretty dull place if we all liked the same things.

In Peart's case you at least recognize his exceptionalism, even if it doesn't move you. That's an important distinction.

Last edited:

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member

Don't worry; I feel the same way.

However, I will have to say that I'm the only drummer I know in my immediate community who feels this way. For this reason, I'll have to agree with those who say it's noteworthy that he's not even mentioned.

Neilage

I just found it odd that all of the most commonly name checked rock drummers in history were there - Ringo, Moon, Baker, Bonham, etc. yet Peart's name didn't come up once. Like, you never see that happen in real conversation.

Neil Peart was not just another drummer. His name will forever be tossed around in debates about the greatest/most influential rock drummers in music history. How it didn't come up once in an hour and twenty minute documentary about drummers is beyond perplexing. You would almost have to go out of your way to avoid mentioning him.
Again, My thoughts exactly!