Upcoming Netflix Documentary on Drummers

Lee-Bro

I watched the whole thing and it was very well done... but not one mention of Neil Peart. Zilch. Nada. His name didn't come up once in 1 hour and 20 minutes.

It was like watching a documentary about US presidents with no mention of JFK. Utterly perplexing and more than a little disappointing.

I respectfully disagree. I don't think it needed Neil mentioned. Would have it fit in? Sure. But the content was great and I felt it pulling on the heart strings a few times.

I think this could have easily been a several part series though. But it was made for the general audience, not just drummers. So keeping a non-drummer's attention over several episodes may be a challenge.

Just finished it and I pretty much loved every second of it. I'm not really sure what its actual thesis was, though, other than Drums and Drummers Are Awesome. Which is of course true. I watch a fair number of musical documentaries with my kids, and while I think they would (and will) enjoy this, I'm not sure what they'd take away from it. Guess we'll find out.

I wonder if there's a director's cut out there of the drum jam. I'd surely love an hour-long version of that...

Tabla

“ ‘Count me in’ comes out August 24. The preview features a frenetic Beatles performance and Abe Laboriel jr. raving about Ringo. Looked good! Should hopefully be 81 minutes of fun.

Really looking forward to this one - anyone else?
Danny Seraphine is featured…yes?

Thin Shell

Regular Poster
Here is the list of the drummers who were actually in it. It also had the Drum Doctor guy.

There was some mention and/or footage of Gene Krupa, Ringo, Keith Moon, Tommy Lee, Elvin Jones, Art Blakey, Buddy Rich, Max Roach, Ginger Baker, John Bonham, and Dave Grohl. I probably missed a couple.

Some of the drummers not mentioned were noticeable to me, such as Peart, Watts and Seraphine, but to an average crowd, it was a pretty well rounded list of drummers.

I thought it was well done and enjoyed it thoroughly.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I wasn't a fan. Kind of boring to me. It really pushed caveman drumming IMO. Hard, loud, take no prisoners type attitude appeals to the young generations but turns me off. Still, it's nice to see drummers get some love, but IMO it only further aggravates the attitude that drummers are cavemen.

yammyfan

Some of the drummers not mentioned were noticeable to me, such as Peart, Watts and Seraphine, but to an average crowd, it was a pretty well rounded list of drummers.
Charlie Watts got plenty of mention in the film. I'm still blown away that Peart enjoyed a 40-plus year career as one of the most name checked drummers in rock history and his name didn't come up once. A stunning omission given how much screen time Taylor Hawkins (a fan) got.

Last edited:

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
It would turn into a 12-part true crime series centering around opinions of the Kickport.
That is hilarious (it warranted an out loud laugh) and so true. See this is why we need levity with brevity. I'm working on the brevity but I got the levity. We need levity with serious subjects to fend off true crimes.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Oh the woodies and heads. I like my long streaming diatribes because it's like Charlie Brown, Blah, blah, blah, bwah, bwah, bwah. It reminds me of my Dad his strategy was first try reasoning then if that doesn't work dazzle them with bull crap. He was a master and the apple really don't fall far from the tree. It reminds me of all the major players in both parties of our political system too. Dad would have made a helluva politician.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
And "shell material versus heads" debates would morph into a neurotic subseries on conspiracy theory. Interviewees would enter witness-protection programs. Danger would abound.

In the voice of Don LaFontaine:

And then, at some point in the early 2020's, someone posted a video about how all the sound from a drum comes from the heads and the heads alone.

*screen goes dark

*Sirens

*Pre-recorded speech from The Purge begins...

Last edited:

Neilage

I watched the whole thing and it was very well done... but not one mention of Neil Peart. Zilch. Nada. His name didn't come up once in 1 hour and 20 minutes.

It was like watching a documentary about US presidents with no mention of JFK. Utterly perplexing and more than a little disappointing.

This was the exact reaction I had.

moodman

Drum Expert
It would take a Ken Burns type of rendering to be thorough enough to get all we'd like to see.
There were notable exceptions, Peart, Collins, Cobham, Appice etc but still well done with a lot of good stuff.
I'm appreciating what I did see not focusing on what I'd like to have seen, life's more fun that way.

Last edited:
I'm still blown away that Peart enjoyed a 40-plus year career as one of the most name checked drummers in rock history and his name didn't come up once. A stunning omission given how much screen time Taylor Hawkins (a fan) got
I think if Peart were still alive, he would have been one of the talking heads who got the most screen time. I mean, you’re right, Taylor Hawkins was on screen a ton, but nobody actually spoke about his drumming or his style or his importance.