Up Yours 2020

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Fire is a scary thing-lost lot of my precious valuables in one while working on Master's. But while in high school I took two of my friends camping-which they had neither done much. It was a nice area of mature pines clear with tall grasses (yikes). Well while one friend and I were setting up tents Lee decided to build a fire. He had never done so and I wasn't paying any attention. He didn't clear out anything and started it with a can of gas. So from the time he lit it and we were all engulfed in flames and everything burning up was just seconds it seemed. It got out of control in no time. I told everyone run-save the vehicles. I watched Lee run into the blaze to grab the gas can-which I was yelling No! No! No! He lived if your wondering. Anyways while. we were heading for the hills it started raining and fortunately put it out but it had burned 40-50 acres before the rain quenched it. The tall grass burned fast and wasn't much understory so didn't make a lot of heat to harm as just burn off fast and scary. I watched the tents and camping gear go "Poof" almost instantly.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I've spent more time with my kids in the past 6 months than I probably will for the rest of my life. And for that, I'm grateful.
That's the best time spent my friend! The only thing really worth a damn in life is relationships/family/friends. We can get so busy we forget that. I noted that during this COVID crisis how so many families were doing things outdoors (distancing still) together as a family. My daughter and son-in-law working from home with my grand baby have been a huge influence on her vocabulary-she picks up on everything, and now they have a designated family time-put work down. I see that as one of the few silver linings.

doggyd69b

2020 sucks and seems like just one bad thing after another. But some good things have happened for everyone surely. I'm sick and tired of hearing about all the bad things. Tell me something good you did, learned, or happened to you that was positive this year. It can be something simple, it can be something over the top, whatever you want.

I'll start. Because of 2020, I learned and now know how to rebuild a Whirlpool top load washer. $50 and about 3 hours saved me a major purchase. Thank you 2020.
I also fixed a washer, learn how to make a patio from pouring cement and all, learned how to fix a quad carburetor,Learned how to mount tires, (took 900 math courses during my 10 week hotel isolation between Virginia and Bahrain). Learned a little bit of Japanese. Learned how to mix drums better, Learned about digital mixers.. Learned how to become an ethical hacker... learned that I like being 50 (just turned 50 this month) and I don't feel left behind by this new generation, on the contrary I feel like i am leaving them behind knowledge wise.. None of them (my younger coworkers) did anything productive during our time in isolation (we had to be stuck in a hotel in Bahrain for 21 days) (I was also stuck in virginia for 7 weeks prior to that.. thanks covid!.) I tried to get something out of a bad situation, I also made significantly more $$ being that I get extra pay for being here plus all this time is tax free which means i will get a big tax return when I file... so all positive stuff, oh my wife got a new job recently which pays her double what she was making before with half the work...(yes she is now my sugar mama). So mostly all positive. I discover I read about 7 times faster than most people...don't know how but I do.

baz

Silver Member
Hola dot comrades.

Living covida loco has not really changed my life in any major way as l lead a fairly simple life anyway.

My highlight in pre pandemic 2020 was also GPa related as l got to play G Pa Daycare for my Granddaughter while my Son in law was working on a drilling rig in Northern Alberta Canada.

Roughly rwenty eight ish years ago, l was out of work fo six months between when my Daughter was a year and a half to two years old. As a stay at home Dad, that was the best six months of my life.

Fast forward to 2020 and for January and February, hanging out with my little GDot was undescribable. My Son in law is off to Northern Ontario to work on a power line transmission project so l get to bookend the year with another couple months of GPa daycare. It will be a challenge to keep her active and engaged but she is at a stage where we will be able to try some new things and play play play.961DC5A4-8FBB-440D-BEF9-E6F93DC8F773.jpeg

Also l am trying to learn to speak read and write Spanish, so we will be watching a lot of Dora the Explorer.

Barry

baz

Silver Member
My daughter Bethany blessed me with my 12th grandchild. His name is Morgan. I call him Li'l MoMo. Born July 31st, so he's almost 8 weeks old.View attachment 96213
WoW!!!

A serial Grampa. I can’t imagine twelve Grand Kids but it sure would be nice. Out of curiosity, do you have them all in close proximity or do you have to do a lot of travelling to fit them all on your lap?

l don’t care about your drums but l sure do envy you 😎✌🏽
Barry

johnwesley

Silver Member
2 grandkids live with me. 7 of them are in California. One is a couple miles away and another 100 miles away. Bobby my oldest passed away from a drug OD a year and a half ago. I see the CA kids a couple times a year, and the one that just arrived is in CA and I've only seen him in pictures. Always wished I had acreage with several homes so we could all live together.

Mediocrefunkybeat

Platinum Member
I've been going back into the office since the end of June but things have changed enormously. I go on-site once or twice a week and we have very strict rules about where people sit and who goes where. Our office was already very restricted access but now nobody except IT staff is allowed in unless under very specific circumstances.

In way, a positive has come of it. We're transitioning our staff over to laptop computers on a voluntary basis (over 2,000 staff, 450 laptops available) and I've been asked to do the day-to-day running of the scheme - which is a lot of administrative work. I've also been put at the front of a similar scheme for our students (who can loan one) so that's about 500Ks worth of equipment that I have to keep track of...

It does mean that I don't have to answer the phone as often, even when I'm at home. Which is a definite win as we've been getting a huge number of calls of late.

Last edited:

baz

Silver Member
I've been going back into the office since the end of June but things have changed enormously. I go on-site once or twice a week and we have very strict rules about where people sit and who goes where. Our office was already very restricted access but now nobody except IT staff is allowed in unless under very specific circumstances.

In way, a positive has come of it. We're transitioning our staff over to laptop computers on a voluntary basis (over 2,000 staff, 450 laptops available) and I've been asked to do the day-to-day running of the scheme - which is a lot of administrative work. I've also been put at the front of a similar scheme for our students (who can loan one) so that's about 500Ks worth of equipment that I have to keep track of...

It does mean that I don't have to answer the phone as often, even when I'm at home. Which is a definite win as we've been getting a huge number of calls of late.
Hola Bact

sounds like you could use a computer.

Barry

wraub

This year -

I've worked straight through the pandemic in a very public-facing job. Yay. 😷

Got a real kit and officially started playing drums. Yay! :)

Got a really cool, very rare pickup for my #1 bass (I finally found the voice :) ) and a combo amp for practicing, got better at doing radio, and officially got a "band" presence for some of my music online.

Lost some weight, gained some back, then lost that. Gone so far. ;)

Still working.... yay. :)

felonious69

This year -

I've worked straight through the pandemic in a very public-facing job. Yay. 😷

Got a real kit and officially started playing drums. Yay! :)

Got a really cool, very rare pickup for my #1 bass (I finally found the voice :) ) and a combo amp for practicing, got better at doing radio, and officially got a "band" presence for some of my music online.

Lost some weight, gained some back, then lost that. Gone so far. ;)

Still working.... yay. :)
Still working, still alive, still falling apart.

SomeBadDrummer

Fire is a scary thing-lost lot of my precious valuables in one while working on Master's. But while in high school I took two of my friends camping-which they had neither done much. It was a nice area of mature pines clear with tall grasses (yikes). Well while one friend and I were setting up tents Lee decided to build a fire. He had never done so and I wasn't paying any attention. He didn't clear out anything and started it with a can of gas. So from the time he lit it and we were all engulfed in flames and everything burning up was just seconds it seemed. It got out of control in no time. I told everyone run-save the vehicles. I watched Lee run into the blaze to grab the gas can-which I was yelling No! No! No! He lived if your wondering. Anyways while. we were heading for the hills it started raining and fortunately put it out but it had burned 40-50 acres before the rain quenched it. The tall grass burned fast and wasn't much understory so didn't make a lot of heat to harm as just burn off fast and scary. I watched the tents and camping gear go "Poof" almost instantly.
👹 This story is eerily similar to one of my experiences in 1987 in the North Georgia mountains. What a blast