Up Yours 2020

Al Strange

This is a cool thread!:) My fave thing about 2020 was getting my double bass gigging kit just in time for...lockdown!!😂 When this is all over I plan to get out and play again so I’m kind of prepping for that eventuality and really excited about the prospect...being in touch with other drummers on the forum is great and an outlet for my passsion for playing, dodgy puns and drum related gags!:D:)

cbphoto

Gold Member
In February, before the virus officially came ashore here in the states, I had a job at an organization that brings Chinese people here for educational purposes (accounting, agriculture, U.S. law, etc) and a week later I was sicker than I’d been in 10+ years. Bad cough, lotsa fluid in lungs, wheezing. I go to the clinic and they are not concerned with a mutated virus because there was no accurate test then. They feed me a z-pack and an albuterol inhaler. Two days later, Wifey gets sick. By the beginning of March we were over it. Wifey thinks it was Covid-19.

A week after healing, we sold our old house we’d lived in for 20 years without a real estate agent. 😎

Then spring comes and my workload from one client explodes. They create, grow & market various plant varieties (annuals, perennials, shrubs) worldwide. I inquire about the workload and they said their sales tripled over previous years because people were locked down, but gardening, and they wanted to “make hay while the sun is shining”.

NouveauCliche

In February, before the virus officially came ashore here in the states, I had a job at an organization that brings Chinese people here for educational purposes (accounting, agriculture, U.S. law, etc) and a week later I was sicker than I’d been in 10+ years. Bad cough, lotsa fluid in lungs, wheezing. I go to the clinic and they are not concerned with a mutated virus because there was no accurate test then. They feed me a z-pack and an albuterol inhaler. Two days later, Wifey gets sick. By the beginning of March we were over it. Wifey thinks it was Covid-19.

A week after healing, we sold our old house we’d lived in for 20 years without a real estate agent. 😎

Then spring comes and my workload from one client explodes. They create, grow & market various plant varieties (annuals, perennials, shrubs) worldwide. I inquire about the workload and they said their sales tripled over previous years because people were locked down, but gardening, and they wanted to “make hay while the sun is shining”.
That's very interesting - did you get the loss of smell and some of those other side effects? Have you done the antibody test?

Nice job on the house sale! My grandmother passed away recently and I'm selling her house and as it turns out - despite enjoying watching "Million Dollar Listing New and LA" - I have a very hard time with realtors haha.

SYMBOLIC DEATH

While 2020 has felt like the longest 10 year of my life, there have been positive things. Both my wife and are working our regular jobs. We paid off our house. My two sons are doing well in school. I've practiced more in the last 6 months than I did in the previous 6 months, where I reworked my foot technique and started seriously working on heel toe. My band released our full length in honor of the lockdown/cover (my band's name is Solanum which is the virus that causes zombies in World War Z), got it listed on the streaming sites and now we have a radio station on Spotify which puts our music in with national/international acts radio stations, further spreading our "virus."

cbphoto

Gold Member
That's very interesting - did you get the loss of smell and some of those other side effects? Have you done the antibody test?

Nice job on the house sale! My grandmother passed away recently and I'm selling her house and as it turns out - despite enjoying watching "Million Dollar Listing New and LA" - I have a very hard time with realtors haha.
At one point, before I became really sick, I took Wifey out to dinner at a place that serves up excellent martinis. And I remember thinking it was tasteless and being disappointed. Wifey remembers a lack of flavor, too.

I’ve been tested for Covid-19 several times cuz of work, all negative. And they wouldn’t test for antibodies unless I ponied up $1200 for the lab fees. Nope.

We’ve now sold two houses without a realtor and what I’ve found is a good lawyer is what’s needed most. The second thing is tough skin, cuz when we showed the houses people expressed their dislikes openly. And after a while it’s easy to tell who’s really interested versus looky-loos.

The only thing realtors have is the MLS database. And if they list the property on Zillow and Trulia (as most sellers want) then the leverage of the MLS is lost. When negotiating, they always consider their commission, so they’re always pushing against the buyer. When we bought our current house, the seller’s agent scoffed at our first offer and I threatened to go directly to the seller. She didn’t like that! But it worked; she became an errand girl, relaying our negotiations quickly.

I try to remain a relatively positive person . But 2020 has tested my resolve 😤🤬!!!!

I’ll spare everyone all the details as it’s a long list 🙄 but they all aren’t things that can’t be overcome, but it seems like ( no , it is ) a never ending barrage of BS as I’ve never seen in my 53 years on the planet . One f’ed up thing after another .
So last week while barbecuing in the yard with an impending pop up storm ( of course it was sunny when I started) , I was sitting there thinking how unusually screwed up this year has been for me and wondering what other nonsense was on the horizon , I look across the street and see this in the sky 😳Anyone else see it ? Call me crazy but I know what I see . It’s like 2020 is flipping me the bird 🤨!!!

AED3168F-B0FC-4C8C-938F-B27661A21502.jpeg

But in keeping with the positivity, the family is safe and healthy which is all I really care about. And I did finally pick up a new kit at the start of the virus crap although I only got to play it twice each time for an hour , then back in the boxes it went due to everyone
( 5 of us ) either working or going to school from home , so no space or alone time to play. But things started to return to normal and I should be able to set back up in two weeks to play 👍🏻.
I’m absolutely refusing to turn my clock back this year as I don’t want an extra hour of 2020 🙄!!!!!!!AED3168F-B0FC-4C8C-938F-B27661A21502.jpeg

KamaK

Platinum Member
I'll start. Because of 2020, I learned and now know how to rebuild a Whirlpool top load washer. $50 and about 3 hours saved me a major purchase. Thank you 2020.
I am going to sort of echo this.... Because of the current situation, I've saved more money in 2020 than in the last 3 years combined.

The down side is that I can't really invest it due to the current market and looming economic collapse... IE: I can't just throw it in an index fund and expect 7.5% back. In addition, I fully expect the money I've saved will be worth only half as much next year.

On the plus side, I'm still employed, and all things being relative, I'm doing quite well.

The last thing that 2020 has taught me is that my breath stinks. I apologize to everyone I've ever met in person and am taking steps to improve the situation.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
The down side is that I can't really invest it due to the current market and looming economic collapse... IE: I can't just throw it in an index fund and expect 7.5% back. In addition, I fully expect the money I've saved will be worth only half as much next year.
Maybe invest in something that doesnt lose value instead of the market? Firearms, for example, tend to keep their value.

felonious69

I am going to sort of echo this.... Because of the current situation, I've saved more money in 2020 than in the last 3 years combined.

On the plus side, I'm still employed, and all things being relative, I'm doing quite well.

The last thing that 2020 has taught me is that my breath stinks. I apologize to everyone I've ever met in person and am taking steps to improve the situation.
Honestly I didn't notice. (Can't pick and choose which line to quote, cuz...phone and me don't mix well)

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

so funny that there are many new birth stories here - which is awesome - but my kid story involves getting them out an on their own! My middle step kid will graduate this winter and hopefully be getting her real job. Youngest just started college and is in drumline there. (Oldest has been ding fine and working in his chosen field). The house is finally empty, and we can start getting ready for the next phase, which is either going to be getting a ranch style house in the middle of nowhere, or selling everything, and getting a van and doing the van life/traveling thing

Like PushPull, I have retouched with yoga, and my religious/philosophical studies and reading. I kept my job, although it has been altered a lot in the way I do it, but that will go back to normal as the pandemic gets under control.

I have managed to get at least 500 extra miles and an extra 1200 feet of gained elevation on my mountain bike, as well as more time falling off my BMX bike at the skatepark (but am adding more air to every jump!!).

My double bass chops have gotten better as well as my rudimental chops.

My wife actually got promoted to a shift (and pay scale) at her work that she has been wanting for years.

I have checked off numerous home improvement boxes, and learned to do way more electrical work around my house than I ever thought I would.

All of this has been a total distraction to the s**tstorm that the rest of the year has been....but I am a firm believer in balance, and I think this is an unavoidable kind of time to be in. You can't just have all good, all the time. There has to be yin and yang. I accept down/negative time as 100% necessary to also have positive time. I have always been a "The glass is just half" kind of guy. This is not the first "bad year" that our country/populace/world has had, so I can't dwell in it too much because things will change. We will learn and get different. The Fool will make another Journey around The Wheel and gain wisdom, and also forget it and throw caution to the wind...

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Can't pick and choose which line to quote, cuz...phone and me don't mix well)
Hold your finger on a piece of text. It should highlight and give you markers for the beginning and end. Move the markers to the start and end of the text you want. A "reply" box should appear:

20200924_114243.jpg

If you notice, your quote above and the image posted are the same.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

While 2020 has felt like the longest 10 year of my life, there have been positive things. Both my wife and are working our regular jobs. We paid off our house. My two sons are doing well in school. I've practiced more in the last 6 months than I did in the previous 6 months, where I reworked my foot technique and started seriously working on heel toe. My band released our full length in honor of the lockdown/cover (my band's name is Solanum which is the virus that causes zombies in World War Z), got it listed on the streaming sites and now we have a radio station on Spotify which puts our music in with national/international acts radio stations, further spreading our "virus."
Solanum....got it, followed on Spotify!!!! Banging thy head!!

KamaK

Platinum Member
Maybe invest in something that doesnt lose value instead of the market? Firearms, for example, tend to keep their value.
The closest I've come to that is investing in my spouse's "Rifle Safety" classes and marksmanship tutoring. There are certain essential things in life (swimming, horseback riding, changing a flat tire, operating a firearm, CPR, etc..) that are quite simple but are quite embarrassing if you're forced into a situation where you need to do it but haven't done it before. I don't own any firearms because I have younglings and the nature of my employment.