Up Yours 2020

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
2020 sucks and seems like just one bad thing after another. But some good things have happened for everyone surely. I'm sick and tired of hearing about all the bad things. Tell me something good you did, learned, or happened to you that was positive this year. It can be something simple, it can be something over the top, whatever you want.

I'll start. Because of 2020, I learned and now know how to rebuild a Whirlpool top load washer. $50 and about 3 hours saved me a major purchase. Thank you 2020.

felonious69

First and foremost, I got to keep my job (for now). And with all of this not going anywhere money was freed up to add to my home stash of "fun stuff"... a couple guitars, amp, keyboard, drum set, upgrades to said drum set.
I am still alive (wish I'd have taken all those bets in high school!).

acsunda

As soon as school started this year, I got tenure. I’ve had two life goals for a long time now: get my master’s and get tenure. I got my master’s last year, and I just got tenure a few weeks ago. It’s a good feeling knowing it’s now significantly harder for them to fire me.

I also bought a brand new tractor this summer, with a front end loader and everything. Pretty pumped about it.

C.M. Jones

The pandemic and its related downtime led me to this forum. It's been a surprisingly positive experience. I wouldn't have joined under normal conditions. I don't participate in social media or other online communities. I'm glad to have exchanged ideas on drumming with all of you over the last six months. There are far worse ways to pass one's leisure.

felonious69

The pandemic and its related downtime led me to this forum. It's been a surprisingly positive experience. I wouldn't have joined under normal conditions. I don't participate in social media or other online communities. I'm glad to have exchanged ideas on drumming with all of you over the last six months. There are far worse ways to pass one's leisure.
I started here because I finally got drums and (didn't) know squat about 'em. Tried three other forums and didn't like them for this reason or that.
I like it here...Absolutely no other social media for me either.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I started here because I finally got drums and (didn't) know squat about 'em. Tried three other forums and didn't like them for this reason or that.
I like it here...Absolutely no other social media for me either.
Same here, no social media, no other online anything. I troll a specific car site because it is the premier site for my car. Anything I want to know is there, but those people are awful. I wouldnt even think of joining.

NouveauCliche

Well - I've been exceptionally busy around the house. Got new sod, new fence, new refrigerated air and patio furniture - all from money diverted from our annual vacation fund because NO TRAVEL haha.

My band has been exceptionally busy with other things to fill the time with the lack of gigs: We did some networking and got some really heavy hitter to guest on our second album - got that recorded - we wrote a musical based on that second album that got picked up for this off Broadway residency to develop it more and premier in NYC (which is wild and something I never thought we'd get to do) - we also started a project with this Grammy award winning producer to do an album and a documentary that compares our indigenous US roots with 4 African tribes - the album will feature my group and South African musicians composing new songs together that unite the style, and we started a project called "The Spirit Coalescent" that combines these large scale Photographs / Paintings mixed media with another new album (each song matches one of the paintings), poetry and dance for a whole new performance that we've already lined up some 2021 bookings for - we also managed to get a film production team together that works specifically for the band and our projects and we did the online concert series "Heart Space Live" that is still going strong featuring musicians around the Southwest - and they put together a documentary about our album and Phil Manzenera etc.

I would say having the down team and an incredibly ambitious team of musicians and artists that all friends has lead to this whole crappy no-gig time to be fairly prolific for us as far getting new projects off the ground.

In 2021 we have a lot of our shows rebooked - we have three music festivals in australia that have committed to book us - we have a performance of our Symphonic Arrangements of songs from our first album booked at Sonoma State - and the residencey/show at La Mama Theater in NYC for the musical.

So I can't wait for the world to get back to normal!

Juniper

Gold Member
My daughter, our firstborn, was born in February just as covid was about to fully hit on these shores.

Despite how bad the virus has been for millions of people worldwide and how our lives won’t be back to normal for some time yet, I still feel very blessed and grateful.

Firstly that she arrived safely and secondly that we’ve had more time together at home in her first months.

Support was limited due to restrictions and we don’t live near family (and she's not met everyone yet) so although it was tough to begin with at times with figuring everything out on our own it made us stronger parents, I hope.

We lost a prominate family member days before she was born and a close friend recently but my daughter just smiling at me makes this year all worth while.

In terms of DIY, I've already installed sentry guns, a watchtower and a crocodile filled moat outside our house in preperarion for any potential suitors when she reaches (at least!!) 50.

Not happening.

99C53DEF-5006-466E-9AF6-2F96C2A38175.jpeg.

Last edited:

Rock Salad

I met a girl.
that counts for me.
Same old other than that. We were locked down for maybe six or seven weeks here and I've been working the whole time. Everything (gigs) has been back on here, for a couple of months already.
Our singer/bl 63 y.o. and diabetic heart med guy, has had and beat covid.

madjack956

2019 was probably the best year I have had in recent memory, but 2020 hasn't been that bad so far.

This year I found this website, finally bought the drum kit I have been wanting for years, got a John Deere to help me maintain the acreage ( I'm getting old and slow), and have had many friends and family from afar visit and stay awhile.

I feel blessed, and my heart goes out to the people who have lost their loved ones or livelihood to covid, or home/businesses to wildfire or rioting.

p.s. Rock Salad, congrats on getting the girl!(y)

johnwesley

Silver Member
My daughter, our firstborn, was born in February just as covid was about to fully hit on these shores.

Despite how bad the virus has been for millions of people worldwide and how our lives won’t be back to normal for some time yet, I still feel very blessed and grateful.

Firstly that she arrived safely and secondly that we’ve had more time together at home in her first months.

Support was limited due to restrictions and we don’t live near family (and she's not met everyone yet) so although it was tough to begin with at times with figuring everything out on our own it made us stronger parents, I hope.

We lost a prominate family member days before she was born and a close friend recently but my daughter just smiling at me makes this year all worth while.

In terms of DIY, I've already installed sentry guns, a watchtower and a crocodile filled moat outside our house in preperarion for any potential suitors when she reaches (at least!!) 50.

Not happening.

View attachment 96220.
That is one cute kid. Maybe in 50 years I can hook her up with my mnow 2 month old grandson Li'l MoMo.

basset52

Not happening.

View attachment 96220.
Look at that beautiful face!

basset52

My wonderfully creative 29 year old daughter organised regular games nights via zoom. So every Fri night our family , all 5 groups of us - all in our own individual homes, sat down with wine and nibbles and connected via laptops on zoom. We all dressed to a theme for each night. Some nights it was a quiz night , some nights scattagories etc. My other daughter is on the other side of Australia so to be able to see her and join with her and partner and kids was just great fun. We had a lot of laughs and I think it brought our families closer. We would never have been motivated to do this otherwise. It will be a regular part of our life now.