Unwrapped Ludwig Rockers!

Those are great looking drums! You did a great job with them. Peace and goodwill.

This kit is awesome!! I love the work and detail you did on the restoration. Question for you about the paint on the inside of the drums...I'm in the midst of restoring a Rocker kit myself and can't find the speckled paint that they used for the inside of the drums. Do you have the paint or know of anyone that might? I just need some to touch up the inside of a couple of drums. Thanks!

This kit is awesome!! I love the work and detail you did on the restoration. Question for you about the paint on the inside of the drums...I'm in the midst of restoring a Rocker kit myself and can't find the speckled paint that they used for the inside of the drums. Do you have the paint or know of anyone that might? I just need some to touch up the inside of a couple of drums. Thanks!

Sadly, I have no idea. How bad is the paint on the inside of your drums? I doubt I'd try to add more paint, but if it looks rough I'd just use coated heads and hide the insides.

digging the throne!!!

Thanks! Me too. For less money than a heavy duty drum throne I have something more stable and a lot more comfortable.

My red Rockers kit is also the throw it in, no cases kit. The wrap is almost Tama Granstar-ish quality it's so durable. I also use it for multi band backline if it's needed. Great shells!!

Attachments

• 10421246_10153252188245799_4134861531836807327_n.jpg
    10421246_10153252188245799_4134861531836807327_n.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 1,679
I've been on a bit of a Rockers buying spree, so I thought I'd update the thread...

My original kit with the 22" bass and 12" and 13" power toms and 16" floor moved to the band rehearsal space.

I've been getting a drum here and there over the last few years either for parts or "what if" options and I realized I had enough for two kits.

So my new main home kit has a 24" bass, 12" and 13" traditional toms, and two 16" floors.

The other kit has a 24" bass, 13" power tom, and 16" floor. I re-wrapped them in blue sparkle upholstery wrap, and decided to avoid the weak lug problem by using classic lugs instead.

Now I think I'm set... ;)

Now I think I'm set... ;)

Or not!

So I've spent the last year or so picking up a few more orphan drums hoping to put together an entire kit of Rocker I shells with the clear maple interior. In the end I got so many, I decided to go full-on Big Power Tom Drum Kit and set them all up.

As before, these were all stripped of wrap, scrubbed off the old glue, sanded and given a few coats of clear poly. Again, with orphan drums I had no control over grain and some of the shells had aged quite a bit differently so they aren't quite the same color, but I really couldn't be happier. I've got a bit more detail work to do but once they were assembled I had to set them up and play.

Take a look!

Specs:

24x16 (2)
10x9
12x11
13x12
14x13
16x16 (2)

14x6.5" Ludwig Black Magic Snare

15" Sabian top/Zildjian Mastersound bottom hi hat
17" Sabian AAX crash
20" Paiste 404
22" Meinl M Series medium ride
20" Sabian APX crash
20" Zildjian China Boy Low

I would have never dreamed that the wood under the covering of Rocker shells would look so nice. Your kit looks like it was made in the factory with a natural Maple finish. I had some pre-rocker Ludwigs. They were made in Monro also under the SL series name. They were 4 thick plies of Poplar. with classic lugs, and painted beige inside. I liked them a lot.

Man...I have been a member here for five years and I have just stumbled across this thread! I am so psyched to find this. I too have been collecting old Rocker, Rocker II and Rocker Elite drums anywhere I can find them. I strip the crummy wrap off, remove all the glue with Goof Off, lightly sand and then coat them with Wipe On Poly. And the results have been stunning. Also, they sound absolutely ridiculous...as you have already noted. Really full and fat with a nice round tone. Not at all the slappy contemporary sound. Sadly, I am very slack about taking pics. But here's a shot of the opening band at our most recent gig with their drummer playing one of my two Rocker Elite kits.

4O0tmfG.jpg

Like you, I always get rave comments from players, sound guys and audience members about how killer the drums sound. The toms especially. They just have "that" sound. We should chat! I'm always on the lookout to score more Rocker drums.

One thing I have noticed is a real inconsistency from one kit to the other as far as hardware is concerned. For example, on one of my Rocker II kick drums I have these...

fLm4YJ3.jpg

While others have far more substantial legs. Obviously, I will need to drill this drum and add better legs if I ever want to gig with it.

Also, I have noticed that tom sizes vary pretty widely. For example, on the kit above I have a 12x9 tom on the kick. But I have a couple of 12x10 and even one 12x11! Not quite square sized, but darn close.

Anyway, love that Rocker Series. They've been great drums for me.

Back